2020 Tour de France

pista

From my understanding, in the past, cycling was a way for many of the European pros to get out of poverty.

Yes, but isn't this about creating a more racially diverse sport, not a demographically diverse sport?

As you say, that has been done before. This discussion stems from 'Dale's post about the glaring lack of black cyclists in the TDF peleton. 

Edited by Jewbacca

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. This discussion stems from Gen's post about the glaring lack of black cyclists in the TDF peleton.

You mean Dale

I could never articulate the same way Dale does [emoji6]

Edited by Gen

You mean Dale

I could never articulate the same way Dale does [emoji6]

My apologies madam!

'Dale's... amended

The conversation centers around creating a more racially diverse sport, not so much having more medium/low income white people.

As with most things regarding this race issue, the powers that be are missing the point. addressing the issue at TDF level and "raising awareness" as they are attempting to now is not going to get some low income/poverty stricken black kid involved in the sport.

Gees how insane has this TDF been, Jumbo Visma were incredible and you have to feel for them tho, they laid the law down for three weeks without fail. Roglic must be gutted.

I loved this TDF so so so much. Bring on the World Champs and then Giro :) Cycling has gotten super exciting.

Yeah of course but for me this tdf i enjoyed the race from the 1st km until the last, the attacks, the solos, it was just very different this year, maybe a bigger variety of young riders that are super brave.

Anyways yeah what a time to be alive. I was a bit surprised that Rohan Dennis was not included this year.

Nah. It always has been super exciting.

As with most things regarding this race issue, the powers that be are missing the point. addressing the issue at TDF level and "raising awareness" as they are attempting to now is not going to get some low income/poverty stricken black kid involved in the sport.

I think that is where it gets interesting.

How do you change the image and create interest across a new/different demographic?

'Most' black kids play football

. .

Sure there is a cultural aspect to it, Elsewhere it's basketball, like in the Philippines.

Thing is one can fashion a ball from a bunch of plastic bags and have a game just about anywhere.

Cycling needs functional bikes. They have to be maintained and fixed.  Pops (if he exists) is quite possibly in the shebeen and/or has no mech skills whatsoever, neither has mom. That's the sad reality here. I've seen that a lot. Punctures can not even be fixed and it goes south rapidly from there, bikes become scrap metal in just about no time.

Which is where projects like Songo can make a huge difference. Lots of cyclists come from BMX.

There is no doubt that if you build it, they will come, It will cook. Throw in a workshop and some volunteer wrenches and you will have 100's of kids progressing and without doubt some will go all the way.

British Cycling really took off when Velodromes where built with lottery money. But its not only capex, its human resources, And that's where a lot of projects will fall short here: unless you have dedicated, skilled, resourceful people to make it all work, it just wont happen, Large sums of money will be wasted.

I think that is where it gets interesting.

How do you change the image and create interest across a new/different demographic?

School. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in SA, it would be a (although I loathe the term)grassroots approach of creating a school sport system that encourages cycling, and from their an active role from governmental sports bodies to raise awareness of the sport from there on up.

(I get that it won't happen, we're collectively consumed with destroying whatever culture remains in SA, and fighting with retailers over adverts for shampoo.)

Top down doesn't work for this.

Comparing it to soccer doesn't work for this.

The elite level taking a figurative knee with writing on their masks doesn't work for this - the grassroots you are aiming at are not watching this on TV.

All that elite level can realistically do is have a strong anti-racism policy and enforce it.

Sure there is a cultural aspect to it, Elsewhere it's basketball, like in the Philippines.

Thing is one can fashion a ball from a bunch of plastic bags and have a game just about anywhere.

Cycling needs functional bikes. They have to be maintained and fixed.  Pops (if he exists) is quite possibly in the shebeen and/or has no mech skills whatsoever, neither has mom. That's the sad reality here. I've seen that a lot. Punctures can not even be fixed and it goes south rapidly from there, bikes become scrap metal in just about no time.

Which is where projects like Songo can make a huge difference. Lots of cyclists come from BMX.

There is no doubt that if you build it, they will come, It will cook. Throw in a workshop and some volunteer wrenches and you will have 100's of kids progressing and without doubt some will go all the way.

British Cycling really took off when Velodromes where built with lottery money. But its not only capex, its human resources, And that's where a lot of projects will fall short here: unless you have dedicated, skilled, resourceful people to make it all work, it just wont happen, Large sums of money will be wasted.

Exactly... Which is why it won't happen in Africa by Africans.

But like I said, France has resource, it has history, it has a cycling culture and it has the people. So it would need to start there.

I already said, the fact that we can't even get a guy like Matt Beers comfortable is testament to the fact that it won't happen here

Most people are probably aware of The Cycling Podcast.

They talk to Dr Jeroen Swart on the wrap-up of Stage 21, about 49mins in.

https://thecyclingpodcast.com/

PS. Interesting little piece about anti-racism 24mins in where there is a move from within the peloton to push for discussions on change and Daryl Impey is noted as one of the initiators alongside Tejay and Luke Rowe.