• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of winners, well done on topping the fantasy hub league [emoji1319]

I’ll take consolation that I got something out of it [emoji1]

ad08ac71c04ffed8d0feeac6750ae9fa.jpg

Thanks. The one year that there aren't any prizes for winning and my selections line up with fate.(face-palm)

Pogacar was a pick I did with the heart, and he carried the team to the end.

Was fun playing nonetheless.

You might find videos on Tiz Cycling, find the link via Twitter, they seemed to have been removed from Google, can't understand why.

Edited by kosmonooit

The 2020 Tour de France, my word.

8/ The eventual acknowledgment of the absence of black professionals (take a bow, Kevin Reza and Teniel Campbell) at the highest level as a reflection of a very elitist and exclusive sport.

9/ Team DiData, now team NTT’s star continues to fade. ⚠...

That bothers me as well, but we need to ask and understand why. I don't think its because of racism, there are perhaps a multitude of factors, all of which could probably be addressed constructively, but its a medium - long term project.

One thing I can say with certainty its not because black kids don't like riding bikes.

I'd like to hear from Doug Rhyder on this, especially from the MTN Qhubeka days ...  what happened to all those riders he brought to the party?

Edited by kosmonooit

☝️ that is in interesting one to contemplate. The sport is still very Eurocentric, and still has strong "blue collar" roots, is accesible to everybody there, from Joe Soap to Sir Brad. Europe (or at leasr some of it) is probably the least racist place on earth.

Edited by Christie

☝️ that is in interesting one to contemplate. The sport is still very Eurocentric, and still has strong "blue collar" roots, is accesable to everybody, from Joe Soap to Sir Brad. Europe (or at leasr some of it) is probably the least racist place on earth.

Infrastructure and accessibility is an interesting one - Pogacar comes from nothing and joined a cycling club and was eventually given kit which he had to grow into but the point is there was a club

Then there’s the cultural and economic side of it - in many poorer places a bike is essential transport rather than a sport so perhaps it’s not aspirational enough plus good roads are required. Of course amongst many people of colour bike riding is way down on the list of sports they are culturally interested in and of course there’s a massive economic barrier

I don’t believe it’s a race thing within the sport of cycling but race would seem to play a part before even deciding to ride a bike

Bike racing is currently a sport of small framed white men from Europe with a few exceptions here and there - hopefully this will change but the problem is bigger than cycling

Edited by Waynemol

☝️ that is in interesting one to contemplate. The sport is still very Eurocentric, and still has strong "blue collar" roots, is accesible to everybody there, from Joe Soap to Sir Brad. Europe (or at leasr some of it) is probably the least racist place on earth.

Oddly, Sir Brad came from (as he puts it) a dysfunctional family on a council housing estate - about as blue collar as you get.

Pinot should come to me for a bike fit. I'll level his saddle so he doesn't have to shift his arse back every 10 seconds... He looks super uncomfortable.

Either that or someone polished his saddle to within an inch of its life.

Remember the time Tony Martin put sand paper on his saddle and then shredded his pants and butt cheeks to pieces.

The 2020 Tour de France, my word.

A handful distinctions:

1/ The maillot jaune winner ‘freelanced’ his way to the top of the GC with relatively little support.

And to think he was selected in support of Aru (as reported). If the work 'eish' was ever applicable...

Oddly, Sir Brad came from (as he puts it) a dysfunctional family on a council housing estate - about as blue collar as you get.

Yes and no..

Council estate is still 5000 times richer than any poverty stricken township.

It's the bottom of the proverbial barrel in the UK, but the kids still have cars, TVs, gaming consoles etc....

History cannot be ignored. 'Most' black kids play football. In Africa and the UK and france. There a pulpable black stars to revere and emulate and the road seems to be more accessable and encouraged.

If any nation could get more black cyclists into the sport it is France. If you look at their national football team it looks as though they also have access to most French colonies in Africa, so that then broadens their net. 

I think the issue is much like cricket in the West Indies though. Most kids want to play basketball or sprint for sport due to them being 'americanised' via ESPN and tourism. They struggle to get the kids interested in Cricket.

I think the same rings true there with cycling. Here it's a different story. We can't even get a guy like Matt Beers supported properly so any sort of 'development' ends as soon as it starts.

And to think he was selected in support of Aru (as reported). If the work 'eish' was ever applicable...

No man.... He was always the leader.

He was wearing the '1' on his back and was clearly the UAE leader with Aru there to pull a Carapaz.

Would be interesting to get Mr Wakefield's feedback on this.

Maybe at initial recruitment into the squad the plan was for him to deputise to Aru, but John was already singing his praises at Vuelta 2019, so they must have known the kid could go places. 

Would be interesting to know if Pog was the protected rider from the start of TDF2020 or whether it was a dual-leadership kind of plan initially.

Yes and no..

Council estate is still 5000 times richer than any poverty stricken township.

It's the bottom of the proverbial barrel in the UK, but the kids still have cars, TVs, gaming consoles etc....

The guy (that I responded to) said "blue collar".

I (and he) didn't mention poverty.

The guy (that I responded to) said "blue collar".

I (and he) didn't mention poverty.

For sure, but I think it highlights the difference in 'blue collar' and what is accessible across continents for a 'blue collar' family.

The conversation centers around creating a more racially diverse sport, not so much having more medium/low income white people.

Like I said, the difference (in europe at least) to me is interest and having a Pele/Mbappe/George Weah type cyclist the kids could look up to and emulate.