First Ascent Launch Their Premium Podium Cycling Bib

News bot

Those sales really are madness! And a good deal stays a good deal! I've also been down that road with those older bibs and I can honestly tell you that these new ones are in totally different league! The comfort and fit makes all the difference!

Does charl_i_am work for First Accent if you were involved in the "testing" ? I believe the way you wash/care for your bib is the most important way of making sure it'll last years. I own Assos Uno (entry level) bibs that are almost 8yrs old & have no issues. I do wash them by hand directly after my rides & then hang on a clothes rack to dry.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worn a lot of fA bibs, over long distances.

Mainly because I'm a cheapskate, and buy them at their madness sales for R50-R100 each. probably gone through about 10 pairs in total. the fabric starts becoming a bit transparent before the chamois is done. if you want to sit on my wheel, you get that view.

Haven't had any issues really, and while that's just me, this is their older stuff. If they've improved their goods I wouldn't dismiss them without any real life feedback.

Sometimes good enough is good enough, and sometimes it's not. Eating a McD's burger may fill the spot, but it might not be the best thing for you. Same applies to bibs

Does charl_i_am work for First Accent if you were involved in the "testing" ? I believe the way you wash/care for your bib is the most important way of making sure it'll last years. I own Assos Uno (entry level) bibs that are almost 8yrs old & have no issues. I do wash them by hand directly after my rides & then hang on a clothes rack to dry.

I know a few people who work there but have no ties to the brand, they ask people to test pretty much all of their gear before designs etc are finalised. This range specifically went through quite a long testing and refinement process.

Assos are definitely a big brand with big money behind it and especially with your washing procedures it makes sense that they last that long... pretty impressive

Sometimes good enough is good enough, and sometimes it's not. Eating a McD's burger may fill the spot, but it might not be the best thing for you. Same applies to bibs

Sure, different strokes for different folks...

Being a female rider I appreciate the idea to design items specifically for the female body, but often that means at a higher cost. The Women's Podium Shorts are R400 more than the Men's. The bib has much more material than the men's, although the style is sexy - less is more here. Ironically, it's the same price as the men's. 

Hi cyclists. We make the indola girona range of cycling clothes. I just happened to see this. This can become a very long thread. But it is interesting. hmmm the more you pay the larger the likely hood of being 120% happy, yes. There is an X factor, that is your personal body chemistry. Deep voodoo X. It is very interesting that even the most expensive bibs use a method of attaching their pad that means even their pad can cause chafe. All padding collapses, to a lesser or larger extent. Philip Goosen from Cycle Scene Worcester('n fietsry "diknek") told me yesterday he has a pair of our girona enduro's that R 8 years old. Still in weekly use. & Yes, we've also had people simply being not comfortable in our lycra. c u at the trail head. philip.

I personally think they should have just stuck to the entry level stuff, as cyclists (especially roadies) are so brand centric that I cant see anyone rocking up with a pair of R 2000 Sportsmans Warehouse First Ascent bibs when he's swinging his leg over a Specialized Venge. The guys want Italian stuff and if you are clever you can bring those brands in from overseas for the same price when they are on sale, even after duties etc, or just wait for local sales. I know locally there was a recent price war on Assos T.Mille S7's for R 2200 and for R 200 more it's a no brainer, even if these Podiums are technically better than the Assos, 9/10 people would pay the extra R 200 for the Assos.

Good luck to them and I hope they succeed but I have my doubts.

One doesn't have to work for a company to do product testing. I've done product testing for CapeStorm on cyclng and hiking apparel as well as First Ascent when they first came to market. Many companies ask athletes for feedback on poducts while still in the development cycle. its not unusual 

I personally think they should have just stuck to the entry level stuff, as cyclists (especially roadies) are so brand centric that I cant see anyone rocking up with a pair of R 2000 Sportsmans Warehouse First Ascent bibs when he's swinging his leg over a Specialized Venge. The guys want Italian stuff and if you are clever you can bring those brands in from overseas for the same price when they are on sale, even after duties etc, or just wait for local sales. I know locally there was a recent price war on Assos T.Mille S7's for R 2200 and for R 200 more it's a no brainer, even if these Podiums are technically better than the Assos, 9/10 people would pay the extra R 200 for the Assos.

d luck to them and I hope they succeed but I have my doubts.

I'd ride these. They're pretty good and the chamois is comfortable. I still prefer custom kit from Vye but the asking price for the Podium bib is justified but a tough sell for locals

Why only black? Every shop you go in to, black, black, black what`s wrong with a bit of colour, red, white, blue, make it a bit interesting who knows you may well shift more of them.

Why only black? Every shop you go in to, black, black, black what`s wrong with a bit of colour, red, white, blue, make it a bit interesting who knows you may well shift more of them.

For bibs???

It's so hard to judge - My ASSOS T Cento S7's with a sticker price of over R5k (still have the box to prove) are now a little over a year old and the elastic at the bottom of the leg has given up and now resembles a frilly skirt!! no compression and they ride up my thighs. I only use these for road (and care for them correctly) and if I consider my other bibs which I mainly use for MTB, the use I've had and the use I'll still have - this bib was a complete and utter waste of hard earned cash. Anything decent at around R2k these days is a bargain, so I'm all for experimenting with honest gear at the right price .............. I certainly won't be looking at ASSOS again!

As long as white is not included in the colour range... That should never be allowed...

It's so hard to judge - My ASSOS T Cento S7's with a sticker price of over R5k (still have the box to prove) are now a little over a year old and the elastic at the bottom of the leg has given up and now resembles a frilly skirt!! no compression and they ride up my thighs. I only use these for road (and care for them correctly) and if I consider my other bibs which I mainly use for MTB, the use I've had and the use I'll still have - this bib was a complete and utter waste of hard earned cash. Anything decent at around R2k these days is a bargain, so I'm all for experimenting with honest gear at the right price .............. I certainly won't be looking at ASSOS again!

Yes I must admit, the Assos S5 range is probably the most durable range they produced, everything afterwards was made to be "replaceable". They also supplied chamois cream & Assos wash with the S5 range of bibs....now that's all "extras". See if you can find a good pair of Uno or Mille S5 bib shorts.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the constructive feedback and comment around the launch of our new Podium Range. We are super excited about our updated and rejuvenated cycling offering which features 3 different tiers for different types of riders. 

You can view more on our tier structure here: https://www.firstascent.co.za/explore/features/new-cycling-range

We value all feedback on our product and do undertake vigorous testing processes in the development of new ranges, like we undertook with the new Podium Bib. 

That being said, we would love for some further feedback, and most importantly having you riding in the new Podium Bib - so we are willing to send 3 people on this thread our new Podium Bib (male or female) along with a jersey of your choice to ride in and provide feedback to us - free of charge, no strings attached! 

Mail us on marketing@firstascent.co.za if you are interested to give our new Podium Bib Shorts a spin and we will choose 3 people. Please include your BikeHub alias for our own reference. 

Cheers,

First Ascent