Ideal Cleats & Shoes for Road Bike sub 3hr Argus

Raleigh76

Hi there 

Wonder whether anyone can give me some advice regarding suitable cleats and shoes for my new road bike.

I'm intending to replace my ten year old Olympic shoes with a new pair. Any recommendations?  

I've been struggling with the Ryder cleats that came with the new road bike. They are not the easiest to 'click into' - which makes stopping and starting slightly frustrating.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also of places near Southern Suburbs where to get the items.

Having a bike fitting on Monday - so need to purchase before then.

Really appreciate any advice and suggestions

Thanks

Edited by Raleigh76

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what Ryder cleats are.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cycling-guide/guide-clipless-pedals

I have put this link up to this article but you mainly have two types.  I just will call them small or big cleats for this post.  I assume the Ryder type cleats you are reffering to would be the small cleats.  And I agree with you that they are not ideal for roadbikes.  I prefer the bigger cleats. They hold better in my opinion.  Also the pedals on road bikes normally can be adjusted to how "easy" you can clip and unclip.

I think he / she may be referring to clipless pedals as cleats. A mistake I see often here.

It is a clipless pedal

It is a cycling shoe

The cleat is the metal or plastic object fastened to the bottom of the shoe that engages with the clipless pedal.

So in short the thing that marries the shoe to the pedal.

Edited by Vetseun

Hi there 

Wonder whether anyone can give me some advice regarding suitable cleats and shoes for my new road bike.

I'm intending to replace my ten year old Olympic shoes with a new pair. Any recommendations?  

I've been struggling with the Ryder cleats that came with the new road bike. They are not the easiest to 'click into' - which makes stopping and starting slightly frustrating.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also of places near Southern Suburbs where to get the items.

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with using mtb spd cleats and shoes etc with appropriate pedals on a road bike...you might feel more comfortable to start with...if you are getting road shoes with cleats...maybe try shimano spd sl cleats..have float and good to disengage from...you will comfortable with this..don't be pushed into over expensive options...there is no need once you  are starting...

The OP is referring to these: https://www.rydercycling.co.za/ryder-products/pedals-1/spd-cleats-detail.

Ryder make an SPD pedal and cleat combo. They are ever so slightly different to standard Shimano cleasts and are a bit more finicy to set up the spring tension.

I have the Ryder SPD pedals on my road bike and Shimano on my MTB. and Ryder cleats. They require a LOT more force to cleat into the pedals.

But back to the sub3, for that you just need to ride. You can do a sub 3 on flat pedals if you have trained enough.

Book a bike fit here with matt beers. Www.bikemob.co.za

I'm sure he can be persuaded to give you a few training tips too

Sub 3 Argus with flat pedals... Ya right, pull my other leg..

There is nothing wrong with using mtb spd cleats and shoes etc with appropriate pedals on a road bike...you might feel more comfortable to start with...if you are getting road shoes with cleats...maybe try shimano spd sl cleats..have float and good to disengage from...you will comfortable with this..don't be pushed into over expensive options...there is no need once you are starting...

MTB pedal systems are a great idea imo, especially if you have both mtb and road bikes. Having 1 single system of everything (pedals, cleats, shoes) makes life simpler, and it’s easier to walk around in mtb shoes on those occasions when you need to.

MTB shoes tend to be slightly heavier, which could add a few seconds to your Argus time.....

Hi there 

Thanks

When you say cleats, do you mean the shoes, the clip part under the shoe or the pedals themselves ?

Where are you getting your bike fit done?

They should be able to help you find the right style and correct fit and set-up for you

Are you looking for road shoes/pedals/pedals?

And what is your budget?

Shoes range from a few hundred to several thousand

Same for the pedals

Cleats are between R200 & R400

Hi there 

Thanks

it really comes down to your budget... Ideally you want a carbon sole shoe and having dual boa's would be nice. Specialized Torch, Shimano RC7 , Mavic Cosmic Pro etc

For shoes, its best to go try them on and find what works best for your feet.

Sub 3 cleats are much cheaper than a sub 3 bike

I’ve been going about this all wrong

They selling sub 3 hour bikes too :ph34r: ? I want both the bicycle and shoes. Money does buy happiness   :clap:

Edited by Jarl Borg