[Event] MEDIHELP Stellenbosch Cycle Tour 2020

Starchboy

I'm really considering taking my MTB instead and just see how long I can hold on to 1A. I've only started road cycling in December and done just the one Sportiff. I feel I might be too inexperienced for these conditions on a road bike.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did the current conditions compare to the year they cancelled the CTCT?

I doubt it's anywhere near as bad.

Also, the CTCT route is a lot more dangerous.

I doubt there are thoughts of cancelling, but it's not going to be much fun out there.

I doubt it's anywhere near as bad.

Also, the CTCT route is a lot more dangerous.

I doubt there are thoughts of cancelling, but it's not going to be much fun out there.

I tend to disagree with you. That stretch from Wellington back to Stellies against this wind, with traffic on the road, will be very sketchy.

Forecast showing no signs calming down. (+ some possible rain) :(

Latest forecast are for the wind to be stronger tomorrow, with stronger gusts.

Here in the Helderberg area the wind is nuts. My wife planned to do a nice 60km on her MTB doing both Helderberg and the Wannebee Winefarm routes. She came back early after only doing Helderberg with her tail between her legs. Wind blew her over twice on the Heartbreak Hill climb.

I did not go, busy rebuilding an Audi 1.8T engine.

Edited by Moridin

Went out for a 90 minute spin today, and those gusts could cause havoc in some of the groups

Went out for a 90 minute spin today, and those gusts could cause havoc in some of the groups

What time ?

There is obviously an element of risk butbi reckon alot less than the CT Cycle Tour. After the Hells descent which is pretty straight, there aren't really any climbs with fast descents and sharp bends etc to deal with.

Yes the wind is going to be hectic, but I'll much rather ride down the R44 with a cross head wind back to Stellies than descend Chappies and Llandudno along the coast in the wind.

There is obviously an element of risk butbi reckon alot less than the CT Cycle Tour. After the Hells descent which is pretty straight, there aren't really any climbs with fast descents and sharp bends etc to deal with.

Yes the wind is going to be hectic, but I'll much rather ride down the R44 with a cross head wind back to Stellies than descend Chappies and Llandudno along the coast in the wind.

think its more for new guys getting blown into oncoming traffic or simply of their bikes

think will be fine if smooth wind, but its really gusting here at moment.  Dont know what rest route is like, but stellenbosch apparently average 47km/h at moment..   been while since we had this strong gusty winds

edit:

from paarl wind station. In the last few minutes the wind was Southerly (S) at an average speed of 28 kmh, reaching up to 42 kmh and a low of 14 kmh. The gust strength is 28 kmh above the minimum speed.

Records for today:

Wind Gust: 68 km/h

Wind Average: 42 km/h

Stellenbosch airfiled:

Wind Gust: 66 km/h Min Temp: 19.6 °C Max Temp: 27.6 °C

Wind Average: 42 km/h Min Hum: 45 % Max Hum: 72 %

Edited by Karman de Lange

Who's riding deep sections tomorrow? been debating that with myself all day...well, that and why can't I let myself just sleep in tomorrow.

I have 50mm's on..only option I have at the moment, don't have my other wheels built up at the moment.. if it looks too rough tomorrow morning I'm just taking my mtb.

...just sleep in tomorrow.

Looking more and more likely.

Just can't justify SCT in these conditions.

It's supposed to be a fun ride after all. :D

On the fence the moment about taking my gravel/CX bike or the road bike. I have more control on the former with flared bars plus disc brakes, but it is slower.