[Event] MEDIHELP Stellenbosch Cycle Tour 2020

Starchboy

event cancelled according to their facebook page, weird that they don't sms us !

Thanks, was just about ready to start the reluctant drive

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gotten further than poking my head out the door but it sounds fairly atrocious out there for bike riding. Back to bed  :clap:

RACE HAS BEEN CANCELLED. The MedihelpSCT has been cancelled due to extreme weather conditions. Please check social media for more information.

Paarl rock:  In the last few minutes the wind was South South East (SSE) at an average speed of 44 kmh, reaching up to 68 kmh and a low of 25 kmh. The gust strength is 43 kmh above the minimum speed.

Let me rephrase my previous comment... I'm thankful that the organisers sent out an SMS, saving me driving all the way to Stellenbosch.

Just that if the SMS was sent when the FB post happened it would've saved me 45km.

I wonder if committing to the race by leaving home classifies as beating Strava's "Quitters day" or whether I'll still need to go for a ride ????

Let me rephrase my previous comment... I'm thankful that the organisers sent out an SMS, saving me driving all the way to Stellenbosch.

Just that if the SMS was sent when the FB post happened it would've saved me 45km.

I wonder if committing to the race by leaving home classifies as beating Strava's "Quitters day" or whether I'll still need to go for a ride

I got sms 5 min after fb page post..   guess i was higher up in the queue. 3000+ Smss to get out

Luckily sms came through just before my wake up alarm, only crap, head was set to wake up 4:30, so now im wondering around and cannot sleep again..

probably should get on the indoor and get some carbs out

Edited by Karman de Lange

Ugh, I add all this extra weight over Xmas, the conditions are perfect for a little cross wind and they go and cancel it [emoji31]

I got sms 5 min after fb page post.. guess i was higher up in the queue. 3000+ Smss to get out

Luckily sms came through just before my wake up alarm, only crap, head was set to wake up 4:30, so now im wondering around and cannot sleep again..

probably should get on the indoor and get some carbs out

yup, perfect opportunity to take a Ftp test ????

Based on the info it was the right decision. Is it still pumping there? In durbanville it is a perfect morning with no wind

Edit: now in paarl and the wind is pumping

Edited by LeoKnight

Bay2bay run event in Camps bay also cancelled.

Right call imo, event does not have road closure, racing bunches usually all over the road in the wind.

And there are always those "I can ride my deep sections in a crosswind just like a pro" guys. (Despite the Chris Froome crash)

I flew down from Durban on Thursday to do the race, so it’s quite disappointing that it has been cancelled, although I accept the reasons.

I’m staying in Somerset West until my flight back on Tuesday morning, and I’m determined to get a ride in before then, weather permitting.

Are there any riders in the area that plan to ride either today or tomorrow that I can join? I’ve always wanted to ride along the coast towards Rooi Els.