The toolbox thread

100Tours

I have to get one now. Have bit extensions, but i dont think any of them have the sleeve.

also browsing specials etc. for an impact driver. After i watched his video on impact drivers vs normal drivers I'm itching to get one. But the ones I'm seeing are a bit pricey for me right now.

Wait till you've actually used one... then you will really really want one

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to get one now. Have bit extensions, but i dont think any of them have the sleeve.

also browsing specials etc. for an impact driver. After i watched his video on impact drivers vs normal drivers I'm itching to get one. But the ones I'm seeing are a bit pricey for me right now.

Wait till you've actually used one... then you will really really want one

I have 2 hammer drill/drivers (12V and 18V) and 2 impact drivers (also 12V and 18V)

Out of all those, the tool I use the most is the little 12V impact driver. It's my go-to for just about any threaded fastener/handyman stuff around the house, and even drilling holes, where hammer function is not needed. (Just get a decent set of impact drill bits/

The 18V impact driver is vicious (280Nm torque) and has too many modes for me to bother figuring out.

But yeah, impact driver will change your life!

I have 2 hammer drill/drivers (12V and 18V) and 2 impact drivers (also 12V and 18V)

Out of all those, the tool I use the most is the little 12V impact driver. It's my go-to for just about any threaded fastener/handyman stuff around the house, and even drilling holes, where hammer function is not needed. (Just get a decent set of impact drill bits/

The 18V impact driver is vicious (280Nm torque) and has too many modes for me to bother figuring out.

But yeah, impact driver will change your life!

How important is this ? can you get away with normal bits ?

I've seen a few youtube vid where they recommend getting impact bits, but then these are always from people using top of the line stuff, I'm on a non existent budget here.

Disclaimer the Metabo socket set is about half the size I was expecting but still very chuffed with it

Was delivered 19hrs after I placed the order which is also damn impressive

Thanks gummi

The smallness is the advantage, the day will come when you use it in a tight space and it's a life saver.

So not a ratchet set but just ordered this... [emoji317]

attachicon.gifmetabo.JPG

Do you have a link for that?

Those sets are amazing, it's quite hard to find a quality set with a huge range like that and especially the slim shaft long bits are great, good quality as well.

Anyone know of a supplier selling JIS screwdriver sets for a reasonable price?

I eventually found a seller in Japan on eBay, parcel never arrived though due to Sapo :(

You can get nice sets on Amazon so an option is to add a set when when you or someone you know orders something there.

I've seen a few youtube vid where they recommend getting impact bits, but then these are always from people using top of the line stuff, I'm on a non existent budget here.

Very, very important. Buy 1 set of good bits and look after them and all you leave in your wake is ruined bad quality screws. Buy cheap bits and you buy lots of bits... My Makita eats cheap bits for breakfast.

Very, very important. Buy 1 set of good bits and look after them and all you leave in your wake is ruined bad quality screws. Buy cheap bits and you buy lots of bits... My Makita eats cheap bits for breakfast.

I have a makita impact driver and try to stick to torx screws when using this - otherwise I use my only non makita tool, a 12v dewalt for other screws

A good impact driver is worth saving up for - also an important tip is to find a brand you like and stick to it so you can use the same chargers and batteries.  Many a friend has saved money on a great deal only to have a million chargers and no charged compatible battery when you need it

For me its makita as back up locally is good and they are robust

It's extremely important that they're impact bits. As an impact driver's "chuck" cannot hold normal drill bits (without some form of adaptor, however a normal drill can hold impact driver bits (so they're multi-use).

The impact driver drill bits look like this.

64890_W3.jpg

This notched hex base allows them to click into place. Not a dissimilar system to SDS bits. All driving bits (philips, torx, hex etc) will have the same. Just make sure that the set you choose works for your particular driver. They are mostly universal, however I have got some Makita bits that won't hold in my AEG drivers (the notch is about 5mm higher up the shank).

As for quality, I only have experience with AEG and Ryobi bit sets. Both were about NZD30 for sets like these:

aeg-24-piece-special-impact-box-bit-hold

Nothing fancy but work well enough.

So I guess by a "decent set" I mean decent (bit not over the top) quality, but more the fact that a comprehensive set will make your life easier.

I have a makita impact driver and try to stick to torx screws when using this - otherwise I use my only non makita tool, a 12v dewalt for other screws

A good impact driver is worth saving up for - also an important tip is to find a brand you like and stick to it so you can use the same chargers and batteries.  Many a friend has saved money on a great deal only to have a million chargers and no charged compatible battery when you need it

For me its makita as back up locally is good and they are robust

Amen!

When I started collecting power tools again (after moving to NZ) I found a good combo deal on a brushless AEG 18V hammer drill and 2 batteries (5Ah and 2.5Ah).I should have looked around more as this initial purchase (particularly the 2 batteries) started me down the path of a specific brand.

Whilst I have been very happy with the AEG stuff, there are some tools that Makita does which AEG doesn't (like track saws), and I find myself hesitant to invest in another battery platform.

I did end up with Ryobi batteries from my lawn mower, weed eater and hedge trimmer (I was too cheapskate to spring for the AEG garden tools), so I do have a bit of flexibility. This enabled me to buy an 18Ga Ryobi nail gun (the AEG/Ridgid verson is only available i the US),

I have also got an AEG-Makita battery adaptor although I am yet t try it (all my Makita tools are corded).

But yeah find a battery platform and try stick to that one. And if I could do it over again I'd probably go Makita, due to the wide range of tools that are reasonably priced considering the quality.

I have built this prototype work stand to repair and service mountain bikes.

I can strip the whole bike to only the frame, when the bike is on the stand, the handlebars can be supported when removing the fork, the fork can be supported when removing the handlebars with the stem to remove the fork. Pedals left or right side can be locked to remove the pedals or to lock the crank arm to toque Sram crank arm bolt. The Bike do not hang on the seat post or swivel around while working on the bike, no clamping to carbon top tube, bike is secure and sturdy, can apply the necessary force to remove screw in BB while bike is on the stand. The stand use two types of base supports for different types of frames, but the base support can be change in a few seconds. The attachment to support the bars, fork and lock pedals is quick to fit or remove and can be adjust. The stand can be fold close or open a few seconds to store.

post-7670-0-34036800-1613086412_thumb.jpg

post-7670-0-20199600-1613086426_thumb.jpg

post-7670-0-84476800-1613086593_thumb.jpg

post-7670-0-11167900-1613086612_thumb.jpg

post-7670-0-30081300-1613086626_thumb.jpg

post-7670-0-13030700-1613086744_thumb.jpg

I can strip the whole bike to only the frame, when the bike is on the stand, the handlebars can be supported when removing the fork, the fork can be supported when removing the handlebars with the stem to remove the fork. Pedals left or right side can be locked to remove the pedals or to lock the crank arm to toque Sram crank arm bolt. The Bike do not hang on the seat post or swivel around while working on the bike, no clamping to carbon top tube, bike is secure and sturdy, can apply the necessary force to remove screw in BB while bike is on the stand. The stand use two types of base supports for different types of frames, but the base support can be change in a few seconds. The attachment to support the bars, fork and lock pedals is quick to fit or remove and can be adjust. The stand can be fold close or open a few seconds to store.

Very neat & clever design  :thumbup:  The only downside I can see are those support legs, I'd be tripping over them all evening :wacko:

Very neat & clever design :thumbup: The only downside I can see are those support legs, I'd be tripping over them all evening :wacko:

Even those three.legged traditional stands .... I have properly hurt my feet on these.

Very nicely done. It is clear that some thinking went into the design and fabrication.

Even those three.legged traditional stands .... I have properly hurt my feet on these.

one of the features I love about my park stand is that its supports are almost flat on the ground so no embarrassing tripping over them