The toolbox thread

100Tours

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally getting my own garage in 4 months time (hopefully) and starting to collect my tools.

A compressor is the first ‘big’ item on the list and need some advise on what to get.

Just going to be used for regular home use, I.e. tubeless, drying chains etc. We are going to be in a small complex so started looking at the ‘silent’ 25L options from Ardendorff.

Is this a good option or should I look at something else? If so, what should I be looking at? Don’t want to drop 6k on something that isn’t going to be used properly, will rather spend that ZAR on the workbench and drawers.

A cheap small one (even from builders) is a useful tool - I use mine for cleaning my workshop, tools, bike, nail gun and dusting myself off - they last years and I find it super useful

Not sure if these are available in SA, but this is what I have been looking at for compressed air in the garage.

348691xlg.jpg

With a 1.5HP motor and integrated 10m heavy duty air hose reel this oil-less air compressor is ideal for use around the home.
heavy-item.png?v=9b161bd46a62669ac0332f5Heavy Item
  • 1 outlet with quick connect fitting.
  • Integrated wall-mounted hose reel.
  • 160L/min air delivery.
  • Up-to 8 bar (116psi) pressure.
  • Duster gun accessory included.

They're not cheap (about R4500 equiv from my local hardware store), but they're compact and neat.

They are limited in terms of function, as they cannot do some things a regurlar air compressor can do (like spray paint, or drive air tools), but I don't need it for that.

I also looked into some other compact and portable options like this:

86e43c36-5876-4951-b0b5-0231848aae00.png

• DUAL 18V power supply allows use with either one battery pack or two
  • 3.8L tank with roll cage for portability and protection
  • NITTO quick-release fittings for easy compatibility
  • 120PSI max pressure with outlet regulator
  • Oil free pump design provides a maintenance free solution and up to 30.8L/min FAD

Or this (which is only really good for inflating tyres)

full_05660ceb-a066-455b-8cd8-6834d638c21

• High flow rate and maximum 150psi allow for rapid inflation
  • Digital display shows a clear pressure reading even in direct sunlight or at night
  • Display can swivel up to 180°, so the pressure is legible when the unit is lying flat
  • LED light for late-night and early-morning use

But yeah, for now I have other tools higher up the priority list so it may have to wait.

As I learnt a little while go, Ryobi is regional and the licensed manufacturer for that region can be completely different and produce very different tool offerings.

In Aus, NZ and the US Ryobi is produced by Techtronic Industries. The same brand that does AEG, Ridgid and Milwaukee.

They run the One+ range here and it's probably the most comprehensive variety of 18V battery operated tools that one can get. Drills, to vaccums, to soldering irons (yes, 18V portable soldring iron!), to mowers to drain unblockers. THey have an 18V tool for just about anything!

They're high end trade grade tools (like the Milwaukee and AEG), but they are decent quality (similar to green Bosch) and make power tools more accessible to the home-gamer/DIYer

RYOBI-One-2018-1.jpg(this isn't even the half of it).

It's a real shame that they don't offer this version of Ryobi broader. 

TENG TOOLS (Swedish tool company, Taiwanese manufactured) have opened a branch in Gasoline Alley, in the same building as Flying Brick, Metalheads, GS Bike Traders, Tims Motorcycle Repairs, etc...

(Gasoline Alley = corner of SECTION and SHROPSHIRE streets, Paarden Eiland...)

VERY nice tools, a few of which we use in our fitment side, with a emphasis on quality/lifelong quality...

Am sure their will be tools to titilate cyclists...!

The had their OFFICIAL OPENING this past Friday, and began full trade yesterday morning...

Give them a visit - inspirational store - those toolboxes, with those pre-cut foam inserts...

Welcome TENG TOOLS!

Chris

Holy Crap - just priced them here. Wow

As I learnt a little while go, Ryobi is regional and the licensed manufacturer for that region can be completely different and produce very different tool offerings.

In Aus, NZ and the US Ryobi is produced by Techtronic Industries. The same brand that does AEG, Ridgid and Milwaukee.

They run the One+ range here and it's probably the most comprehensive variety of 18V battery operated tools that one can get. Drills, to vaccums, to soldering irons (yes, 18V portable soldring iron!), to mowers to drain unblockers. THey have an 18V tool for just about anything!

They're high end trade grade tools (like the Milwaukee and AEG), but they are decent quality (similar to green Bosch) and make power tools more accessible to the home-gamer/DIYer

RYOBI-One-2018-1.jpg(this isn't even the half of it).

It's a real shame that they don't offer this version of Ryobi broader. 

I own more than a few of the One+ tools and they are great for the price. It's a somewhat of an addiction actually...

TENG TOOLS (Swedish tool company, Taiwanese manufactured) have opened a branch in Gasoline Alley, in the same building as Flying Brick, Metalheads, GS Bike Traders, Tims Motorcycle Repairs, etc...

(Gasoline Alley = corner of SECTION and SHROPSHIRE streets, Paarden Eiland...)

VERY nice tools, a few of which we use in our fitment side, with a emphasis on quality/lifelong quality...

Am sure their will be tools to titilate cyclists...!

The had their OFFICIAL OPENING this past Friday, and began full trade yesterday morning...

Give them a visit - inspirational store - those toolboxes, with those pre-cut foam inserts...

Welcome TENG TOOLS!

Chris

Ah. We got a whole trolley set recently for the new maintenance guy at work.

Nice tools, never heard if it until a few months ago.

In terms of compressors, flow rate is important for seating tubeless. I've been unable to seat stubborn tubeless wheels on the smaller 160L/min compressors. Mine is 220l/min and that seats tires. Sometimes they still need a bit of motivation but usually removing the valve core solves it.

In terms of compressors, flow rate is important for seating tubeless. I've been unable to seat stubborn tubeless wheels on the smaller 160L/min compressors. Mine is 220l/min and that seats tires. Sometimes they still need a bit of motivation but usually removing the valve core solves it.

Compressors are misleadingly marketed based on the theoretical air piston/pump displacement, instead of its free air displacement (FAD) which is what really matter as you state.

Typically FAD is about a third lower than the stated displacement CFM or l/min values. 

A compressor is a nice to have if you have space. It'll blow the dust off stuff that your vacuum cleaner doesn't get off, but you'll need a decent one for air tools and spray painting. A high duty cycle will kill your underpowered compressor.

Still need to get a board against the wall also need to make a base for my trueing stand

With the trueing i think I'm going to make it the base to fit on my small portable workbench so i can sit down... f5bd85df913d44d944c8c75a555bc713.jpg68636ebd8edbc0b6523420c25d640c4b.jpg

Nice, mine has taken a back seat for now. Need to complete some other projects around the house. I have all my stuff. Its just a matter of installation and cleaning up.