[Event] Gryphon 99er Cycle Tour 2020

Ninetyniner Durbanville

Looks like the organizers did the best they could under the circumstances. I'm really glad Vissershok is still included in the race and that the only update to the route is not just that they're sending us back via the M58.

Everyone is adding their 2 cents here so i guess I'll add mine... I really hope in future years they move the finish 1km up Odendaal as it used to be so the climbers actually have a shot for once. 400m is a sub 1 minute power effort! Does anyone know why they decided to move the finish in the first place? I guess if you have the legs you can break away up Vissershok and do a 6km solo effort till the finish... what a win that would be!!

Either way, look forward to racing this weekend  :thumbup:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New course is basicly tour de PPA route , so if you able to attend that you can still enjoy it.

I might sound negative (won't be anything new), but just loved the end of 99er.  Now I need to get the @#$# memories of Tour de PPA out my head.

Nop, I'm out 6 weeks from the 26 of jan when I broke my arm doing my recon for the 99er, might not be fit for the CTCT either, it's the only race I haven't cancelled yet, let's see what the doc says next week !

Edited by Jbr

Looks like the organizers did the best they could under the circumstances. I'm really glad Vissershok is still included in the race and that the only update to the route is not just that they're sending us back via the M58.

Everyone is adding their 2 cents here so i guess I'll add mine... I really hope in future years they move the finish 1km up Odendaal as it used to be so the climbers actually have a shot for once. 400m is a sub 1 minute power effort! Does anyone know why they decided to move the finish in the first place? I guess if you have the legs you can break away up Vissershok and do a 6km solo effort till the finish... what a win that would be!!

I'd guess that having the finish at the top was an organizational challenge, where the newer finish is next to an open field where organizers are set up for medals, medics, announcer etc.

Missed the Slent turnoff and the finish is wrong?

That is the Tour de PPA route.

It does not come back on Slent, but carries on to R302, and finish is at D'Urbanvale, not on Odendaals as with 99'er.

Rest of the route is a mirror. 

That is the Tour de PPA route.

It does not come back on Slent, but carries on to R302, and finish is at D'Urbanvale, not on Odendaals as with 99'er.

Rest of the route is a mirror. 

Ah ok!  Very similar

I understand there is something special in finishing up on Odendal, but really hope they reconsider it, as the front racers going through D' Urbanvale around those circles and and bumps will most likely cause problems.

Yes will probably get messy. I think if you have designs to win the group do your breakaway on the climb up to D'Urbanvale and then stay away on Mosselbank road where the bunch will be forced to slow down on the 90 degree turns, bumps & traffic circles.

Hi all

IMPORTANT ROUTE UPDATE

Due to a delay in the completion of the N7 road works between Van Schoorsdrift and Vissershok - originally due to be completed at the end of January - the N7 will no longer form part of the race route.

This decision was made in close and ongoing collaboration with the City, traffic authorities and road contractors, in the interest of your safety. And, in keeping with event planning best practices the organisers have developed detailed alternative route plans, which has been approved by the authorities. You will be able to enjoy a safe and exciting new route this year.

Long route participants will now see the legendary Vissershok climb coming up in the early stages of the race, while the flatter and faster short route excludes the Vissershok climb.

Please CLICK HERE https://www.99er.co.za/index.php/cycle-tour/routes for the updated route maps and route descriptions.

All cyclists who entered the race will receive a mail from Cycle Events today with seeding and race number collection information as well as communication about the amended route.

Thank you for your understanding. As always, your safety comes first!

Good training for the TdPPA

Vissies in the first 10km 

I either feel like Contador Kwiatkowski or like a DHL truck

Depends on the day

Edited by 'Dale

yass people like to complain ! Some moan than the old route is bumpy with silly climbs, other than the new route sucks...

My opinion is I would have loved to do the new course even more than the old one, but both would have been interesting to race, new one should be easier and faster for sure (depending on the wind factor). Wish I didn't have to cancel my entry :'(

Can we buy it?

Can we buy it?

Never thought of that, I got a refund minus R60 of fee plus 5%, still hasn't reflected though. PPA did refund me for tour de ppa, no fees, and it was back on my account 2 days after I asked

Edited by Jbr

Yes will probably get messy. I think if you have designs to win the group do your breakaway on the climb up to D'Urbanvale and then stay away on Mosselbank road where the bunch will be forced to slow down on the 90 degree turns, bumps & traffic circles.

Park all the ambulances in D'Urbanvale!

Guaranteed crashes around those circles for the racing snakes????

SNIP

used to be so the climbers actually have a shot for once. 400m is a sub 1 minute power effort! Does anyone know why they decided to move the finish in the first place? I guess if you have the legs you can break away up Vissershok and do a 6km solo effort till the finish... what a win that would be!!

The locals complained about the lack of Cannondale machines in finish area / wind down route back to Durbanville Racecourse 

Seeding is out..  Either my seeding is really crap or smaller groups...  guess the first

Edited by Karman de Lange

Just got mine. Starting in C. Not sure if that is good or bad. How do you check all the starting groups?