[Event] Gryphon 99er Cycle Tour 2020

Ninetyniner Durbanville

if i look at the elevation graph, it shows Vissershok at the 20km mark, or am i reading it wrong?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is correct, it is basically the same as the Tour De PPA route (which costs about R150 less to enter  :whistling: :ph34r: )

I remember a few years ago the reasoning given by the organisers for the higher 99er entry fee is that they spend more money on medical services/ambulances and other safety features like bike marshals (PPA run events usually have the bare minimum)

I guess whether that is something one would be willing to extra for is subjective and depends on your own priorities. 

if i look at the elevation graph, it shows Vissershok at the 20km mark, or am i reading it wrong?

Correct, the new route is like the Tour de PPA - from the racecourse down Tiekedraai, over Contermanskloof and then up Vissershok back to Durbanville and then out from there. It should make things interesting

I remember a few years ago the reasoning given by the organisers for the higher 99er entry fee is that they spend more money on medical services/ambulances and other safety features like bike marshals (PPA run events usually have the bare minimum)

I guess whether that is something one would be willing to extra for is subjective and depends on your own priorities. 

Nah, not buying that. The entry fees jump considerably the year CWC became one of the principle sponsors, and has not dropped since then. 

But, like you say, to each his own. 

OK, back to discussing the race itself, and not the entry fees or what does (or does not) go with it.

Correct, the new route is like the Tour de PPA - from the racecourse down Tiekedraai, over Contermanskloof and then up Vissershok back to Durbanville and then out from there. It should make things interesting

Is this confirmed??

Nah, not buying that. The entry fees jump considerably the year CWC became one of the principle sponsors, and has not dropped since then. 

But, like you say, to each his own. 

OK, back to discussing the race itself, and not the entry fees or what does (or does not) go with it.

You are confusing Durbie Dash and 99er Wannabe....

99er was always more expensive, the Durbie Dash entry fee was hiked the year CWC came on board as sponsor.

so decision was made on Monday and still no official communication from the organisers?

EDIT: See website has been updated.

Edited by babse

You are confusing Durbie Dash and 99er Wannabe....

99er was always more expensive, the Durbie Dash entry fee was hiked the year CWC came on board as sponsor.

OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSsssssssss................

Correct, I stand corrected.

As you were. 

Edited by Wannabe

From Website: https://www.99er.co.za/index.php/cycle-tour/routes

important Route Update

Due to a delay in the completion of the N7 road works between Van Schoorsdrift and Vissershok - originally due to be completed at the end of January - the N7 will no longer form part of the race route.

This decision was made in a close and ongoing collaboration with the City, traffic authorities and road contractors, in the interest of your safety. And, in keeping with event planning best practices the organisers have developed detailed alternative route plans, which has been approved by the authorities. You will be able to enjoy a safe and exciting new route this year.

Long route participants will now see the legendary Vissershok climb coming up in the early stages of the race, while the flatter and faster short route excludes the Vissershok climb.

This sucks .. change the dynamic completley

anyway .. paid already...  

Edited by Karman de Lange

I understand there is something special in finishing up on Odendal, but really hope they reconsider it, as the front racers going through D' Urbanvale around those circles and and bumps will most likely cause problems.

This sucks .. change the dynamic completley

anyway .. paid already...  

It does, but under the circumstances I think the new route is the best the organisers could have done.

At least the course is not easier than the original one and will give those who want to improve their Cycle Tour seeding ample opportunity.

It does, but under the circumstances I think the new route is the best the organisers could have done.

At least the course is not easier than the original one and will give those who want to improve their Cycle Tour seeding ample opportunity.

Problem with us non climbers is (read overweight) .. we can stay with bunch normally till vissers, then only loose few minutes to the finish, so good change of bettering the seeding.

Now we will loose the bunch early in race and end up with the skinny fast climbers  from back bunches that simply don't have the diesel power to help keep pace up on the flats so you end up with lot slower pace  . (well, thats my limited experience). 

But as said .. It is what it is and I need some racing time in my legs.  

yass people like to complain ! Some moan than the old route is bumpy with silly climbs, other than the new route sucks...

My opinion is I would have loved to do the new course even more than the old one, but both would have been interesting to race, new one should be easier and faster for sure (depending on the wind factor). Wish I didn't have to cancel my entry :'(

I understand there is something special in finishing up on Odendal, but really hope they reconsider it, as the front racers going through D' Urbanvale around those circles and and bumps will most likely cause problems.

Other issue is the long route will share road till fisantekraal with short route as long route guys do that extra loop first before merging onto same route.  In beginning everyone is still in bunches , the last stretch the short guys are normally single file so don't create a problem

I can't find the start times now , maybe it will be ok ...

yass people like to complain ! Some moan than the old route is bumpy with silly climbs, other than the new route sucks...

My opinion is I would have loved to do the new course even more than the old one, but both would have been interesting to race, new one should be easier and faster for sure (depending on the wind factor). Wish I didn't have to cancel my entry :'(

New course is basicly tour de PPA route , so if you able to attend that you can still enjoy it.

I might sound negative (won't be anything new), but just loved the end of 99er.  Now I need to get the @#$# memories of Tour de PPA out my head.