[Event] Gryphon 99er Cycle Tour 2020

Ninetyniner Durbanville

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vissers force the wheel suckers and the bad climbers in faster groups to drop back alot. Beta is calculated on how many top riders go slower.

But those okes have another 80km to catch up again. Is Visser’s such a breaker? What would the gap be once they go over the top?

My little race report

Still recovering from a nasty fall at the Atta, currently just don't have a 100km ride (incl Vissershok) in me (seriously worried that there will be no CTCT for me in 2020) so I dropped down to the short route to at least ride something. First time since 2012 I do a short route on a road race and it is quite different from the long route.

"A" bunch here not exactly the same profile as elites on the long route. Also seems standard requirement for anyone between the ages of 16 and 60 to be on a mtb... 

So off we went, immediately a group of about 10 youngsters shot off at the front and clearly the rest of A bunch had no intention of staying with them so I found myself being dropped on the starting line. The old cold legs suffered as I chased after them through Durbanville but finally caught the youngsters just outside Vierlanden. The youngsters went full blast for the first 8km but by the time we got to the Fisantekraal rise all of them had ran out of juice. Clearly knowing how to pace yourself is not something you are born with but learned the hard way.

From Fisantekraal to Klipheuwel was now quite a chilled ride, but our tired little group scattered when the long route B bunch came racing past. Only myself and one or 2 others managed to hang on. I was quite sternly reprimanded "Short route rider! - DO NOT interfere with OUR race!". No respect for short route riders I tell you...  :devil:

So I sat at the back, not interfering, but when we came to the drag on Adderley past the Malanshoogte gravel road I attacked (I always attack there, it never comes off but I just cant help myself). I crested feeling chuffed with myself only to see that as usual my attack didn't come off, the whole B bunch sitting comfortably on my wheel.

So I stopped interfering again and fell back, but when we approached D'Urbanvale I had no intention navigating those dangerous traffic circles & 90 degree turns in a big bunch only to have the 50kg youngsters glide past me on the Odendaal climb. So attacked again on the climb before D'Urbanvale and got to ride through Mosselbank just ahead of the bunch - far better for my nerves..

Oh and they didn't adjust the winners time on the short route (must be the high quality of the field :whistling: ) so managed to get quite a decent seeding index from this little adventure, might just come in handy in spring if I don't ride the CTCT.

So i did a 3:09  :thumbup: , This was the 1st time i've done this race.

Where could I possibly be seeded for the CTCT? and what time could i look at achieving in the CTCT?

My little race report

Still recovering from a nasty fall at the Atta, currently just don't have a 100km ride (incl Vissershok) in me (seriously worried that there will be no CTCT for me in 2020) so I dropped down to the short route to at least ride something. First time since 2012 I do a short route on a road race and it is quite different from the long route.

"A" bunch here not exactly the same profile as elites on the long route. Also seems standard requirement for anyone between the ages of 16 and 60 to be on a mtb...

So off we went, immediately a group of about 10 youngsters shot off at the front and clearly the rest of A bunch had no intention of staying with them so I found myself being dropped on the starting line. The old cold legs suffered as I chased after them through Durbanville but finally caught the youngsters just outside Vierlanden. The youngsters went full blast for the first 8km but by the time we got to the Fisantekraal rise all of them had ran out of juice. Clearly knowing how to pace yourself is not something you are born with but learned the hard way.

From Fisantekraal to Klipheuwel was now quite a chilled ride, but our tired little group scattered when the long route B bunch came racing past. Only myself and one or 2 others managed to hang on. I was quite sternly reprimanded "Short route rider! - DO NOT interfere with OUR race!". No respect for short route riders I tell you... :devil:

So I sat at the back, not interfering, but when we came to the drag on Adderley past the Malanshoogte gravel road I attacked (I always attack there, it never comes off but I just cant help myself). I crested feeling chuffed with myself only to see that as usual my attack didn't come off, the whole B bunch sitting comfortably on my wheel.

So I stopped interfering again and fell back, but when we approached D'Urbanvale I had no intention navigating those dangerous traffic circles & 90 degree turns in a big bunch only to have the 50kg youngsters glide past me on the Odendaal climb. So attacked again on the climb before D'Urbanvale and got to ride through Mosselbank just ahead of the bunch - far better for my nerves..

Oh and they didn't adjust the winners time on the short route (must be the high quality of the field :whistling: ) so managed to get quite a decent seeding index from this little adventure, might just come in handy in spring if I don't ride the CTCT.

Nice report, Sku. Out of interest, what was your index for the ride?

So i did a 3:09 :thumbup: , This was the 1st time i've done this race.

Where could I possibly be seeded for the CTCT? and what time could i look at achieving in the CTCT?

Look up previous years Tour de PPA results on Racetec (exactly the same route). Look at the results pages of a few riders that did 3h09 and you would quickly get a ballpark idea from their CTCT times & seedings what yours will be.

From memory the riding times on the Tour de PPA & CTCT are usually very similar.

But those okes have another 80km to catch up again. Is Visser’s such a breaker? What would the gap be once they go over the top?

The problem is that alot of the "weaker" riders in the top bunches get there by very strategically sitting in in the bunches and never put there nose into the wind and so move up the ranks (nothing wrong with it, we've all dont that).

Now, its about  30-40% saving if you sit in the middle of the bunch, so this makes a very big difference in fitness between the guys who sit at front working hard vs person sitting in middle.

Throw in vissers, which you have to be strong on, its steep and long. The guys that always work up front, gets a gap (they stronger after all), the weaker riders drops back.. So at the top, you sit with 1 bunch of strong riders and skinny climbers and another bunche/s of weaker riders.

Those weaker riders will now again go sit at back hoping someone might do some work, which of course don't happen and the pace drops dramatically overall.

If vissies is at the end, then everyone hides and save energy as much as possible, group stay intact and guys hiding is fresh at end. The guys doing all work is tired .. 

So hit the hill, the hard working guys that is normally strong is now slow up the hill, the guys in middle of bunch is fresh, so they climb all at same pace.  So weaker riders overall time is much better ...

Well, thats my Monday morning theory.

The problem is that alot of the "weaker" riders in the top bunches get there by very strategically sitting in in the bunches and never put there nose into the wind and so move up the ranks (nothing wrong with it, we've all dont that).

Now, its about  30-40% saving if you sit in the middle of the bunch, so this makes a very big difference in fitness between the guys who sit at front working hard vs person sitting in middle.

Throw in vissers, which you have to be strong on, its steep and long. The guys that always work up front, gets a gap (they stronger after all), the weaker riders drops back.. So at the top, you sit with 1 bunch of strong riders and skinny climbers and another bunche/s of weaker riders.

Those weaker riders will now again go sit at back hoping someone might do some work, which of course don't happen and the pace drops dramatically overall.

If vissies is at the end, then everyone hides and save energy as much as possible, group stay intact and guys hiding is fresh at end. The guys doing all work is tired .. 

So hit the hill, the hard working guys that is normally strong is now slow up the hill, the guys in middle of bunch is fresh, so they climb all at same pace.  So weaker riders overall time is much better ...

Well, thats my Monday morning theory.oblem is that alot of the "weaker" riders in the top bunches get there by very strategically sitting in in the bunches and never put there nose into the wind and so move up the ranks (nothing wrong with it, we've all dont that).

Well that's a pretty well thought out & logical theory.

Edited by SEANSTEP

Now, its about 30-40% saving if you sit in the middle of the bunch, so this makes a very big difference in fitness between the guys who sit at front working hard vs person sitting in middle.

So hit the hill, the hard working guys that is normally strong is now slow up the hill, the guys in middle of bunch is fresh, so they climb all at same pace. So weaker riders overall time is much better ...

Spot on! I rode in B yesterday and we were literally about 10 guys doing the work up front after the break on Vissies for the rest of the route. Obviously not everyone's fitness is the same but if the bulk of the group just take 1 turn each for 1 minute the whole group would have a much faster time. Thats what I like about Mountain biking, if you are a lazy chop you get left behind quickly.

I was one of a small handful of Savages who started in A Batch. After missing out on One Tonner last year and Paarl being relatively 'easy' from a seeding point of view this was going to be the last stab at an improved start group for Argus.

The group rode relatively conservatively from the start, don't get me wrong - the pace was high and guys were sending it, especially on the downhills but there was without a doubt some reserves being kept for Vissershok. Managed to crest that precipitous climb with the front of A... A short soiree through back through the Burbs, but by the time we arrived back on the R312 a couple of guys decided it was time to open up the taps and drop some rockets... The group dwindled to around 5 or 6 guys and by the time we arrived at the R44, examining the Strava segments my heart rate had been 176 for 25 kilometers..

Herman, the guy in the purple/pink Ciovita gear and the $ guy in Absolute Motion gear sorry I couldn't do more turns but by that stage I was so deep in the red zone I should have been hospitalized.

We caught the back group of % on the R44 just before the Vryguns turn -  a couple of fellow Savages were also in this group. The pace eased off slightly, athough the aforementioned gentleman above were playing a strategic cat & mouse game off the front on most of the rollers - stretching the field out in order shed some more members off the bus... 

At around the 5-6km to go mark a couple of guys really kicked again and by this stage I was more than happy to not respond... Was not expecting the last usual 99r climb up Odendaal which was absolutely harrowing and I crawled over the line for a 7th in A Batch and a small bump in my seeding!

Quick beer and then headed back out to fetch the Mrs who was also riding. Good day out, thanks to the organisers and congratulations everyone on finishing  :thumbup: 

Have not done a write up yet but, here is the $ over Vissers, 3-4 Savages sat up over the top and came back to reel in the front of $. The green line is the winner, Craig. 

There was a large group that never made it back on over Vissers, the lost around 14 minutes, but those that popped at 50km also lost around 12 minutes. Sometimes if dropped, best to just wait for the break away of the group behind!post-11806-0-36600700-1581322545_thumb.jpg

Sometimes if dropped, best to just wait for the break away of the group behind!attachicon.gif99er 2020.JPG

Yes anything can happen, have seen a few times on a big climb early in the race that the guys cresting first get a bit lazy and allow themselves to be caught later on. Often the best strategy when you get dropped early (I have tons of experience in that) is to sit up and wait for the group behind and work with them, every now and then you get lucky and catch up..

On e-bikes, it was the first time i'd ever ridden in a race like this with guys (and gals) on e-bikes.

It was interesting (more like disconcerting) to have them pass you up the hills, only to catch them again on the flats and downhills.

Absolutely Horrible.

Was ill in the week(coughing and very snotty) But by Friday I felt better so I thought I would be ok. My Saturday went a little something like this:

- Woke up late.

- Never had beakfast

- Arrived at 5:50 and finished getting dressed and ready just after 6.

- Had to try make my way through what seemed like a million cyclists all standing waiting to be loaded in the start chutes, Just made it, fortunately I actually ended up in the front of the bunch (D).

- Started ok, sat mid bunch as there are still a few very bad bike handlers in the bunch, especially descending the fast sections from the start till the turn to Vissers,

- Turn right at Vissers, group came to a stand still, I was in the wrong gear, tried changing, Dropped chain which got stuck between crank arm and big blade, had to stop(no it was not me who caused the sudden stop, my stop didn't inconvenience anyone fortunately)

- Bunch wasn't too far ahead but burnt quite a few matches trying to close the gap, eventually gave u and Sat up and waited for the front of E to catch up, which they did right on top.

- joined the front of E through the winding roads an then right past Fisantekraal. Going over the 2nd little ditch in the road, my Garmin mount literally broke off, mount and Garmin went flying, had to allow the guys to pass and turn around to go and find my Garmin Fortunately no cars had come past as it was in the line where the cars right wheels would've probably  smashed it.

- waited for next bunch, Sat comfortably till the final drag up the R312 where I could feel my illness was not as cured as I thought it was, I started coughing up some really nasty hard green chunky phlegm(sorry guys), So decided to Sit up rather and maybe latch on to a slower bunch.

- Sat alone until just after the Boland Landbou school where a few guys caught up, Sat with them till half way up Slent Rd where 2 guys shared a few choice words because 1 was not doing his turn in the paceline, 1 guy decided to attack the bunch, I joined(I know I'm an idiot) and we worked well together till about halfway along Klipheuwel where my legs just couldn't anymore because my chest was also saying no no. I sat up and apologised for not being able to continue and he went on his merry way.

- I dragged myself to the finish line, feeling crap in both legs but refusing to stop unless my legs locked which they fortunately didn't do. My mind was in a very very dark place.

- I crawled over the finish line in my worst time of 3:29 and just after I finished and sat down, started coughing like a TB patient.

I will never ride a race again if I was sick in the week leading up to the race, I have learnt my lesson.