[Event] Gryphon 99er Cycle Tour 2020

Ninetyniner Durbanville

Sorry if it is a noob question but what are the actual benefits of having the gpx file during a road race?

Is it to avoid getting lost if the group drops you? Knowing how much distance & meters climb are ahead?

I don`t even look at my GPS during a road race , in fact sometimes I don`t even take a drink. To scared to look away for a second.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what annoys me more about the route change is that you feckers are now interfering with my saturday morning ride haha. (tiekies-conters-malans-occults and back)

I don`t even look at my GPS during a road race , in fact sometimes I don`t even take a drink. To scared to look away for a second.

I wish everybody were like that. It is quite scary when a rider ahead of you start searching for food in the pocket of his cycling shirt while the bunch is descending  at over 70km per hour  

Yes, in my experience 90% of your road race experience is determined by the group dynamics (incl wind). Other than knowing where the "big climb" is having a detailed live route map on your Garmin not particularly helpful imo.

But I am genuinely curious if I'm missing some nifty trick the more tech savvy roadies are in on

I have noticed Racetec no longer updates with the start times / groups, once the seedings is sent out, any particular reason for this

Yes, in my experience 90% of your road race experience is determined by the group dynamics (incl wind). Other than knowing where the "big climb" is having a detailed live route map on your Garmin not particularly helpful imo.

But I am genuinely curious if I'm missing some nifty trick the more tech savvy roadies are in on

Interested if anyone has any insight on this...

Interested if anyone has any insight on this...

you need to the route info, the elevation info in particular, so you can program your hacked computer so it tells your hidden motor in your down tube when v-tec should kick in.

For me, a mere mortal that hangs in the bunch.... ClimbPro on the Edge 530/830/1030 is an awesome feature.  Have the route pre-plotted for the race and just before we hit a climb Climbpro will show you the climb.  As you start climbing it will tell you how much ascent and distance on the climb remains, as well as the average remaining gradient.

edge-830-climbpro-700x467.jpg

Knowing what I'm facing on a climb somehow motivates me more than hitting it blindly.  It also helps one determine whether the pace the bunch is pushing is sustainable, but like you say there isn't necessarily much you can do with the information.  Perhaps less useful on the 99er, but extremely useful on Transbaviaans where you are more likely to be racing at your own pace.

Other than that I merely use the cycling computer to record my data so I can look at it afterwards.

Now if you were someone with actual talent (as in capable of attacking the group, not just hanging with them like me) you could use the headunit to determine whether you are likely to have the legs for an attack at a particular point, given the effort already exerted.  If you were in a breakaway you could use it to pace your effort to keep things sustainable.

U - 6:49  :blink:  is that the last group?

Hey Frenchie hit the gas a bit and you will catch me, slightly ahead Q 06:41

Hey Frenchie hit the gas a bit and you will catch me, slightly ahead Q 06:41

Like that's gonna happen up visser' 

I’m the noob here. I’m not fit or strong or light enough to hang on a group and find myself by myself mostly. During a 4 hour ride I can either zone out and think about everything else or zone in on a data overload. On the map view I can see the route and the hills. I don’t know the area and this is my first 99er. I would rather choose to ignore than not have information.