Willie Smith Vlog: Bus takes out fellow rider

Vetplant

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's exactly the problem, we as cyclist expect everyone else to obey the laws on the road. If they had kept further to the left, and didn't ride next to each other all this would have been avoided..some basic road rules for you..read point number 2 and number 5. At least two violations by the group, but no lets rather blame someone else...

Reg 311.

1. No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.
  2. Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.
  3. No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.
  4. No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.
  5. No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.
  6. A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handlebars of such pedal cycle.
  7. Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.
  8. A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles shall do so in such manner that all the wheels Special provisions relating to freeways.

Your outlook and cognisance on this incident is disgusting to say the least.

You can't really see because of the angle and you can't see how close the cyclist is to the yellow line.

This guy was on the yellow line and look how far over his bars are.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-12-05 at 13.24.22.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-12-05 at 13.24.56.png

What I see here are cyclists overtaking a slower cyclist, so moving more to the Yellow line and still doing this in single file.

The Vehicle coming from behind has the obligation to look in front of him, assess the dangers in the road and take cautionary action.

Taking snapshots to prove your point can work against you as well.

Wtf are you trying to achieve Gummibear?

What I see here are cyclists overtaking a slower cyclist, so moving more to the Yellow line and still doing this in single file.

The Vehicle coming from behind has the obligation to look in front of him, assess the dangers in the road and take cautionary action.

All i am saying is that cyclists need to be  careful and need to pick the roads they ride on wisely.We are quick to blame motorists but sometimes we not that innocent.

The rider in the pic who is on the yellow line isn't passing - He has more than enough place to keep further left. Legally he is in the right but pushing his luck with motorists

Clearly bus was at fault. But cyclist also need to take some responsibility 

But we as cyclist need to stop assuming that motorists will give way or consider safety of pedestrians and or cyclists when passing or driving in close proximity. Its just not the way it works in this country. In Europe yes, it works, and we all know why it works.

If i ride on a public road i keep as far left as possible and always assume that every car, bus & truck is actually out there to kill me. This is the main reason i started MTBing.

I can't remember how many times I've gone off onto the dirt because the vehicle passing was to close for comfort. And stopped at a green light because the vehicle approaching the intersection didn't look like it was going to stop. If you wanna be safe on the roads (or as safe as possible) then you need to be the one who is on the defensive and constantly vigilant and take the evasive action, always be aware the next car coming from behind in front or the side hasn't seen you and could kill you.

Looking at the video and in hindsight could this have been different ? - yes if the guys were keeping more left. As much as its the buses fault for being too close to the yellow line - well the cyclist was also too close to the yellow line, not clever on such a busy road thinking a yellow line will give the protection they need, especially in this country.

The sad thing to me about your reply is that you aren't wrong, but you aren't right.

Why just say that this is how the country is and rather fear for your life constantly. Why can it not be said that disregard for other peoples lives just to score a few seconds, or maybe thinking these privileged idiots lets show them.

Why can I give a cyclist a wide birth when driving. Stop at pedestrian crossings, wait in the queue at the dead traffic light, while others drive as they wish

Peoples outlooks are screwed in this country, and this type of mindset is why. Rather that standing for the soft target, lets target them some more and say the soft target should look out for himself more.

What exactly did the bus driver do here to be punished?

Are you serious? He hit a cyclist and the left the scan of an accident.

I don't care if the rider was in the middle of the roadway where he could be legally (technically he just has to be left of middle)

Looking at the video and in hindsight could this have been different ? - yes if the guys were keeping more left. As much as its the buses fault for being too close to the yellow line - well the cyclist was also too close to the yellow line, not clever on such a busy road thinking a yellow line will give the protection they need, especially in this country.

I disagree, the bus is LEGALLY required to overtake safely and the cyclist did NOTHING WRONG....

Lets not discuss what people should do because of the lawlessness of this country

The rider in the pic who is on the yellow line isn't passing - He has more than enough place to keep further left. Legally he is in the right but pushing his luck with motorists

Why SHOULD he?

Because he has to anticipate that the bus will drive illegally and stupid?

Edited by Quagga

Why SHOULD he?

(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when crossing the road; 

or 

(b)  if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride— 

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway

Showed the video to colleagues at work. Their first reaction was, "why is that cyclist riding so close to the yellow line, his handlebars are probably over the yellow line. He should know better"

#Facepalm

We have so much work to do to get everyone aligned with the concept of giving people on bicycles a wide birth when passing...

My first reaction too. He had at least an entire meter available to his left

I disagree, the bus is LEGALLY required to overtake safely and the cyclist did NOTHING WRONG....

Lets not discuss what people should do because of the lawlessness of this country

What he is legally supposed to do is besides the point - Why not discuss what we need to do because of lawlessness in this country - If you think you can live in a lawless country like normal and without being on your guard or a defensive mode then you will soon be another statistic

Why SHOULD he?

Yes absolutely ! Thats why so many of cyclists are getting taken out, because we assume that drivers all drive legally and obey the law. 

If thats the way you think then i hope you have your life insurance and Med Aid sorted.

(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when crossing the road; 

or 

(b)  if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride— 

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway

Please define Roadway.......according to my friend who builds them it is BETWEEN the two yellow lines

To the left is the EMERGENCY lane, not the roadway

My first reaction too. He had at least an entire meter available to his left

That's kinda my take too - if rider had been left and bus had been right an easy and totally legal 1m overtake would have happened.

Ethical blame falls on the bus driver as he has the lives of pedestrians, riders and his occupants in his hands but "if" the riders had ridden in a more responsible manner this all could have been avoided.

A real pity too because I have ridden exactly like that. Enjoyed the feel of wind in my face at 70kph, hammed it up for the camera and had a good giggle with my mates with nary a care in the world. Unfortunately without cycle paths and with the attitude of SA motorists and cyclists that kind of behaviour gets punished at an uncomfortable high rate.

Edited by Eldron