Darkhorse Wheels

Andreas_187

You could probably get many if not all direct from China better specced and priced.

CRC also have a couple reduced wheels worth looking at while the Prime range also offers good value.

They had the Prime SE for around R7k.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some good 2nd hand wheels in the classifieds in the 10-15k range, like Zipps or Borats.

Or buy directly from China, but consider shipping via Aramex or couriers other than SAPO.

Nextie rims + hubs of your choise + Sapim spokes sounds like a winner.

Anyone have info/experience with Flite Carbon wheels? Pricing? Contacts? Some of the Team Mad Macs guys race those wheels so they can’t be bad ????‍♂️

Stay away from Dark Horse. Have personally had them fail at the braking surface (and yes I know how to brake properly) and have seen 4 other sets also break at various times in my close circle of friends. Always the same issue.

In conjunction with the Token (blue) carbon brake pads, I guarantee that they will melt.

Look at Fulcrum Carbon Quattros (Marz Cycles has them on special) and try to use swisstop brake pads. The Fulcrums are made by swisstop too. Great combo and within your price range.

This is what I have found out so far:

CRC Prime wheels are just about the same price as ordering direct from China, they also have plenty of bad reviews.

I contacted Stark wheels but they weren't officially tubeless but may work with tubeless tyres.

Marz dont have any 50mm wheels in my budget.

The cheaper aero wheels in the classifieds are tubular, not tubeless.

Darkhorse seemed very helpful when I visited this afternoon. I understand they have an updated wheel (not sure if it is different to what was for sale say 2 years ago).

I went to Reon at Sportopia after the above recommendation and found he was very, very, very helpful. He had Concept Speed wheels and Salt wheels that were both very nice and I may go with one of those options. I'm awaiting his response. BTW, the Salt 50mm wheels are 15k.

There are a ton of Chinese options...

Edited by Andreas_187

This is what I have found out so far:

CRC Prime wheels are just about the same price as ordering direct from China, they also have plenty of bad reviews.

They've gone up a bit but these were good value a few weeks ago at just under R7k.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/za/en/prime-rr-50-se-carbon-clincher-wheelset/rp-prod172893

Having had a set of 38 disc wheels I was also considering the 50 SE for possible rebuild onto my Chris Kings.

The rims appear on par with most budget options.

I went to Reon at Sportopia after the above recommendation and found he was very, very, very helpful. He had Concept Speed wheels and Salt wheels that were both very nice and I may go with one of those options. I'm awaiting his response. BTW, the Salt 50mm wheels are 15k.

Couldn't agree more. :D

He is a great guy, putting his customer FIRST, always willing to help where and however he can.

Give him a visit when you are in the area. (and there is a nice little Coffee Shop with freshly baked goodies right next to his shop, win win....)

I have 2 friends that had the wheels. 1st guy tips the scales and 100kg, 2nd guy 70kg. 1st guy destroyed a set soon after getting them(I think the braking surface over heated or something), they got replaced by DH under warranty, the second set also didn't last long(can't remember the reason) and this time he went the insurance route and used the cash to get some campag wheels. The skinnier guy rode plenty hassle free miles on them. So my theory is they made for lighter riders. I must say that the lighter guy can put out some serious watts so it's not like he just does coffee rides everyday.

Worth paying that extra for a good set of wheels.

I’ve bought a set directly from Elite Wheels(AliExpress) R6500, Powerway R36 hubs, these wheels do flex and not that stiff, lots off rubbing out the saddle, for training yes they ok, would not race with them or use them on fast descents, I’ll stick to my Boras.