Darkhorse Wheels

Andreas_187

Why do want a set of 50mm carbon wheels? Is it to look the business as you gaze at your reflection in the shop windows of Claremont Main road or is there a particular benefit you think you get from them?

I agree that spending ENVE/ZIPP kind of money on aero wheels is square in the golfer mentality arena and that the Chinese generic wheels offer much much better value. But one should also consider structural integrity.

there is a very good reason why MAVIC, CORIMA, CAMPAGNOLO (FULCRUM) and SHIMANO have been surviving in the wheels business for as long as they have

That's exactly why I want 50mm wheels! They are also being fitted to an aero bike so a box section aluminium rim won't look great

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, let me chime in :)

I see a LOT of carbon road wheels in for repairs and maintenance. The most typical issues I see are rims which delaminate due to overheating from braking and wheels suffering from going out of true and broken spokes.

I won't mention any brands here, but the cause of the latter issues is almost always poor build quality control. The delamination issues are generally rims which are poor quality overall - from reputable brands commonly available locally.

If your target is around R15k, then get in touch to discuss some options before you spend money on something else, even if just for some ideas and advice.

I find that the slim design hubs used by most affordable brands are a major source of flex, causing wheels to touch the brakes when sprinting. I've found this is avoided by using more robust hubs like Hope RS4, DT Swiss 240 and 350, and the hubs by Aivee.

For the past 2 years I have been importing premium Nextie rims directly from the factory, and building them locally with DT Swiss, Hope or Aivee hubs, using bladed and round, j-bend and straight-pull spokes by DT Swiss, Pillar and Alpina.

The feedback I've received has been stellar and (touch wood) not a single issue with regards to rim failure due to heat or anything else.

For reference, I can hand-build you a set of premium Nextie rims on Hope, DT or Aivee hubs for between R15 and R17k, depending on options.

Shameless plug: I guarantee my workmanship, spokes and nipples for LIFE.

Anyways, hit me with questions and comments, I'm here to help.

Hi Nick

I've got a set of Hope RS4 hubs, 20/24 holes. What you you charge me for the Nextie 45mm (NXT45RC28) rim with spokes and build and to ship it back to CPT?

i'll keep mentioning these guys...

https://icancycling.com/collections/aero-series-wheelset/products/aero-50-wheelset#

I ordered my 2nd set of wheels from them last week Wednesday, it shipped on Friday and arrived JHB on Sunday. Cleared customs today and should have them tomorrow.

+/- R11600 including shipping with RPX

Then R360 for clearing with Linex and vat of +/- R1300. You can save abit on vat if you speak to Ican :whistling: :whistling:

Have done around 6000km on my first set with no issues at all.

Did you get the 50mm?

i'll keep mentioning these guys...

https://icancycling.com/collections/aero-series-wheelset/products/aero-50-wheelset#

I ordered my 2nd set of wheels from them last week Wednesday, it shipped on Friday and arrived JHB on Sunday. Cleared customs today and should have them tomorrow.

+/- R11600 including shipping with RPX

Then R360 for clearing with Linex and vat of +/- R1300. You can save abit on vat if you speak to Ican :whistling: :whistling:

Have done around 6000km on my first set with no issues at all.

Did you get the 50mm?

Old set is a 45/55mm combo.

New set is 35mm, they arrived today btw. so China to Dbn in 5 days using RPX courier.

Hi All

We strive to be reconized as providing the best customer service and support possible. Its great to hear all the nice comments however is disapointing to hear the others. We have and will always say please come in with your issues and we will assist.

All our wheels are built specificly for us to our specs in the east (Which we dont hide). They have all gone through major testings and have passed in all areas and that is why, as far as we are aware we are the only South African company with UCI approval.

We wish to thank all of our customers who continue to support us as we will keep doing the same for all of you.

Going on 10years and may this continue on much much longer!

Regards

The DarkHorse Team

Ps. Some exciting made in RSA products coming in the new year!!!

Great to hear about continuous improvement.

All the best, Darkhorse Wheels.

My 2c:

I've been riding on DH wheels for about 3 years now after buying a 2nd hand set here.  I've had to replace the rear as the braking surface started to crack and de-form. DH built a new rear wheel for me at a cost, but using their new wheels. Currently my front wheel is the 1st generation DH wheel and my rear is the newer gen. I feel and see a difference in materials and quality, so chapeau to DH for seeking to continuously improve.

I wouldn't expect Zipp or Enve performance from DH, but they're worth considering IMO

OK, let me chime in :)

I see a LOT of carbon road wheels in for repairs and maintenance. The most typical issues I see are rims which delaminate due to overheating from braking and wheels suffering from going out of true and broken spokes.

I won't mention any brands here, but the cause of the latter issues is almost always poor build quality control. The delamination issues are generally rims which are poor quality overall - from reputable brands commonly available locally.

If your target is around R15k, then get in touch to discuss some options before you spend money on something else, even if just for some ideas and advice.

I find that the slim design hubs used by most affordable brands are a major source of flex, causing wheels to touch the brakes when sprinting. I've found this is avoided by using more robust hubs like Hope RS4, DT Swiss 240 and 350, and the hubs by Aivee.

For the past 2 years I have been importing premium Nextie rims directly from the factory, and building them locally with DT Swiss, Hope or Aivee hubs, using bladed and round, j-bend and straight-pull spokes by DT Swiss, Pillar and Alpina.

The feedback I've received has been stellar and (touch wood) not a single issue with regards to rim failure due to heat or anything else.

For reference, I can hand-build you a set of premium Nextie rims on Hope, DT or Aivee hubs for between R15 and R17k, depending on options.

Shameless plug: I guarantee my workmanship, spokes and nipples for LIFE.

Anyways, hit me with questions and comments, I'm here to help.

Nick,

I'm interested in a set of new wheels...want to use it on road and TT bike.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

My 2c:

I've been riding on DH wheels for about 3 years now after buying a 2nd hand set here.  I've had to replace the rear as the braking surface started to crack and de-form. DH built a new rear wheel for me at a cost, but using their new wheels. Currently my front wheel is the 1st generation DH wheel and my rear is the newer gen. I feel and see a difference in materials and quality, so chapeau to DH for seeking to continuously improve.

I wouldn't expect Zipp or Enve performance from DH, but they're worth considering IMO

ZIPP and Enve only offer and require higher wallet performance. Other than that they actually don’t perform any better than Chinese rims. Enve with CK hubs are great but the price tag isn’t worth it at all.

My wife has a set of DH wheels and shes done just over 6000KM on them (got them second hand).  We had one issue with the bearings on the front wheel, which my LBS sorted out.

I have a set of Tokens and I can definitely recommend them.  Warren is tops!

I have a set of Tokens and I can definitely recommend them.  Warren is tops!

the price tag not soo tops!

I sold my Tokens as I had way too many issues with them, but this was with their older 2015 C50 wheels.

• 3 months later...