Facebook scams & suspicious ads

Da Vinci

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Musa Marx said:

I marked as them as scam on truecaller as initially they were not.

Looks like it was a clone of an existing FB account from USA made to look like it is in SA

Screenshot_20230713-151408.jpg

Screenshot_20230713-151813.jpg

Edited by Barry

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Seems that they've lifted the details from here: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/654690/2022-trek-top-fuel-7-medium-frame

I'd guess that there would either be a request for a deposit or a mugging when you arrive to collect. That seems to be an MO with many Facebook buyers and sellers lately. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Seems that they've lifted the details from here: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/654690/2022-trek-top-fuel-7-medium-frame

I'd guess that there would either be a request for a deposit or a mugging when you arrive to collect. That seems to be an MO with many Facebook buyers and sellers lately. 

Maybe Bikehub can look at some sort of watermark or picture protection that does not let you download/copy image. yea they can screenshot and crop but take away the right click copy/download.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Maybe Bikehub can look at some sort of watermark or picture protection that does not let you download/copy image. yea they can screenshot and crop but take away the right click copy/download.

It’s something we’re looking into to add friction for a would-be scammer. A screenshot is so easy and sufficiently hi-res that disabling right click has arguably limited benefit but the more difficult we can make their lives the better.

I see this particular bike was also listed on Facebook by the original seller. Most likely that the info was lifted from there since it’s where they already operate!

Alot of these are just fake ads,same as they do with cars.

Get your details,come view and potentially rob you or get you to give deposit to secure.

Or very well can be a stolen bike.

On 7/13/2023 at 3:17 PM, Barry said:

Looks like it was a clone of an existing FB account from USA made to look like it is in SA

Screenshot_20230713-151408.jpg

Screenshot_20230713-151813.jpg

Just reported another add with this profile as a scam to FB. Trying to ‘sell’ XT components as XTR for cheap, same shpiel, immigration sale etc.

1 hour ago, Murrob said:

Just reported another add with this profile as a scam to FB. Trying to ‘sell’ XT components as XTR for cheap, same shpiel, immigration sale etc.

I have come to realise FB will do nothing about it. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I have come to realise FB will do nothing about it. 

They could not care less. Stolen phones, obvious scams, duplicated profiles, zero fs given. 

just go to facebook marketplace and type in bank statements,or sassa card ,or id and a host of ads pop up,marketplace is very dodgy

Hi all,

In case someone in Cape Town has had their Scott Spark 920 L stolen here it is, otherwise this is a scam to lure poeple to Browns Farm to rob them.

inbound2898177988850885119.jpg

8 minutes ago, Normsa said:

Hi all,

In case someone in Cape Town has had their Scott Spark 920 L stolen here it is, otherwise this is a scam to lure poeple to Browns Farm to rob them.

inbound2898177988850885119.jpg

Looks like a definite scam. 

The same bike (same photos) were listed on Bike Hub a few weeks ago. A reverse image search with Google Lens or similar services will usually pick these up.

image.png