Where to find aggressive hardtails!?

shredfox

You should try a Pivot Les. I had one for a while. Let me know if you would like one.

The Pivot Les is an XC race bike... I think the OP is looking for a long, slack and low hard hitting trail bike.

I know you 'CAN' ride any bike anywhere, but I don't think the geo and the setup are what the OP is looking for

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should try a Pivot Les. I had one for a while. Let me know if you would like one.

Not exactly the type of hardtail the OP is looking for.

To those who know the tech and/or ride one of these slack hardtails.

How does the steel frames (Cotic Solaris, Momsen Steel one, and Contraband etc) compare to an aluminium ones like the Slade?

I don't want to open a big new debate, but in 5 bullets maybe the pros vs cons? and the difference in ride/feel?

Edited by PjT

Ja, I did that but am looking for a frame only option as I have almost all the parts for a build. From what I can see they do not have Slade frames only.

You can get a frame only option direct from Germany - I've inquired about this route before with the cost being close to the R5k mark for the frame including VAT and delivery (when I inquired at end of 2019 they only had large frames available). Comms were reasonable but the wait time for it was protracted so I opted for a Dartmoor in the end. Try contacting elena(at)silverbacklab(dot)com

You can get a frame only option direct from Germany - I've inquired about this route before with the cost being close to the R5k mark for the frame including VAT and delivery (when I inquired at end of 2019 they only had large frames available). Comms were reasonable but the wait time for it was protracted so I opted for a Dartmoor in the end. Try contacting elena(at)silverbacklab(dot)com

or just mail tomoutside as he's an engineer there.... and a hubber. 

How does the steel frames (Cotic Solaris, Momsen Steel one, and Contraband etc) compare to an aluminium ones like the Slade?

I don't want to open a big new debate, but in 5 bullets maybe the pros vs cons? and the difference in ride/feel?

My last ali hardtail was very old school and no doubt stiff as anything out back. My On One Dee Dar is also stiff, compared to a dual suspension, but I think much less so than an aluminium frame. It tracks through rock gardens beautifully and I haven't yet had a pinch flat despite despite running only EXO casing tyres. 

All steel bikes are not alike however, just as ali frames are also different. I think higher end steel frames are probably even more compliant because they may use better grade steel tubing. Your tyres and pressure also play a role in ride feel. I rode my HT with lower pressure than normal and it was the sweet spot - comfy but also not too soft for the rough stuff and corners.

On One have a couple of awesome new frames  - properly long and slack. Ideally a HCHT should start at 63 deg HTA unsagged. When you sit on it, it steepens more than a DS bike. 

Get a steel bike, you won't be sorry.

This thread has stated  me looking for a new bike.  

I already own a great full suss trail bike but i have always been drawn to the simplicity of hardtails. I ride very rocky technical stuff so i want an agressive HT.

What do you hardtail experts think of  the Trek Roscoe?  The slade looks nice or should i just build up from scratch. 

Wheels  27.5 + vs 29er 2.6 inch ?

Steel alu or carbon?

Big question singlespeed or 1 x 11?

Option option options

I actually went from a Cotic Solaris Max to a Slade recently.

- The weights are pretty much on par.

- The big advantage of a steel frame is comfort, and there is no denying they ride softer than alu, but in this specific case I cannot feel the difference. The slade was designed to be quite compliant in the rear so as alu frames go it's comfy. This is not a comment on steel vs alu, rather Solaris vs Slade.

- The Cotic's build was just sublime, it's a premium frame and the small details like cable clips on the frame is superior. Eg: on the Slade I drilled a hole beneath the bb for water to drain. Another downside, that cable routing in the top tube - it works well, but not if you run back brake on the left.

- The thin tubing on steel bikes just look better (IMO)

- Pricing of steel is steep vs pricing of alu.

This might come across as negative towards the Slade, but it's not. I love my Slade, I just loved my Cotic a hell of alot. At the end of the day the Slade was a better choice for the riding I do. In short, the Slade is an awesome frame and I am amazed at how capable it is every time I ride it. I am finding it is the bike I reach for most when I walk into the garage.

But... if money is not an issue, and angles are exactly the same, I am always going to choose steel over alu - but that's just me. Steel makes me all tingly in the pants area, alu doesn't. That said, half of my bikes are alu just because of the value you get with it - good price, decent weight, durable.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

or just mail tomoutside as he's an engineer there.... and a hubber. 

Useful to know! Although when I chatted to the local guys at the Silverback office they had indicated the only option was to discuss direct with Germany if wanting a frame only. 

This might help from a Rocky mountain point of view

For more information on Rocky Mountain Bikes South Africa, email info@hullabaloo.co.za or call 012 660 0016

Hi,for Rocky Mountain bikes I can try and help.

email : technical@hullabaloo.co.za or cyclemobile@icloud.com

We are currently the parts and Technical backup in SA.

• 5 months later...

Just got a slade trail frame.  Building a bike up from sctratch

Would you recommed 27.5+  2.6 pr 2.8  or a 29 wheel prob 2.5

Just got a slade trail frame.  Building a bike up from sctratch

Would you recommed 27.5+  2.6 pr 2.8  or a 29 wheel prob 2.5

29 x 2.5...

Those 650b plus tires just felt all wrong to me when I tried it out.

Just got a slade trail frame. Building a bike up from sctratch

Would you recommed 27.5+ 2.6 pr 2.8 or a 29 wheel prob 2.5

Done both, also gonna say 29x2.5.

The Slade's rear end is compliant enough, so no need for the plus sized rubber.

I am currently on Maxxis Agressor 2.5s front and rear with CushCore inserts - it rides super comfy.

Edited by Grease_Monkey