Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

So by that reckoning I should grade the pavement that took me out as a black trail too...?

Just because you made a mistake means nothing with regards to the trail rating.

Yeah, this.

Here, I'll link what keeps coming up, they even have a nifty pdf: http://www.imba.com/resource/trail-difficulty-rating-system

Also, I've had plenty bumps, bruises & crashes on gravel roads & even once or twice at a place like meerendal, which I doubt qualifies for any ratings above blue.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I don't understand.

According to IMBA  riders going uphill has right of way.

BUT "apparently, this is different for the corridor between Meerendal and Conties. " I remember seeing a post here sometime ago. 

However, this is not sign posted nor was it send via email. So do we apply IMBA there or not?

See here below

Yield to Others. Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming -- a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to all other trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. Strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

I can say I do not understand all the moaning. I can say I am part of the 95% of people the Tygerberg club has build trails for. They are not begging anyone for membership.

If some people want to get something different why not create yourself a Tygerberg Extreme Downhill club, go negotiate rights with the land owners, find yourself members and sponsors, raise money and build them trails. Heck if you raise enough you can even put in a lift to the top...

It's like joining a tennis club and complaining they do not have a squash court...

I can say I do not understand all the moaning. I can say I am part of the 95% of people the Tygerberg club has build trails for. They are not begging anyone for membership.

If some people want to get something different why not create yourself a Tygerberg Extreme Downhill club, go negotiate rights with the land owners, find yourself members and sponsors, raise money and build them trails. Heck if you raise enough you can even put in a lift to the top...

It's like joining a tennis club and complaining they do not have a squash court...

Because nobody is advocating for "extremem dh trails"...shhh.

I'll let you know a secret...we can (and sometimes do faster than you) pedal to the top...

What are you not buying? that the Jonkers is not a blue?

My subjective opinion is that NES is a trail with zero challenging bits on it (to me at least). I am not deterred by the loose stones or the steep gradient. I am not crying about the grading according to whomever stuck the signage up. 

Comparing NES to Cobra is from my perspective a moot point.

In saying this, I am not calling Cobra as a valid black trail either. I am also not of the opinion that it warrants the black status according to IMBA, but if I have to go on the amount of helivacs over the last year, I would say that definitely unskilled riders must be wary.

I had a chat with one of the club staff about the trail on a time I was there, and I was told there was a helivac earlier that day, and two on the previous day from Cobra. This should raise some warning bells at least.Folks are riding it without knowing what they're in for.

that good old debate about the cobra  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I've done Armaggedon and red Phoenix at Jonkers, and I do find the cobra close to the armageddon in terms of technicality/difficulty, maybe a bit higher because there's no B line on the one technical part. But the fact that I go flat out down the cobra and that I've only done the jonkers trails once on a wet day would push me to say that cobra is probably more dangerous than jonkers red trails, I would definitely grade it dark red  :ph34r:  :ph34r: to Jonkers standards.

But compairing to a Jonkers blue trail lol, you hubbers are funny, next time we talk about it someone will say that it's a green trail or a fireroad

Edited by Jbr

that good old debate about the cobra  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I've done Armaggedon and red Phoenix at Jonkers, and I do find the cobra close to the armageddon in terms of technicality/difficulty, maybe a bit higher because there's no B line on the one technical part. But the fact that I go flat out down the cobra and that I've only done the jonkers trails once on a wet day would push me to say that cobra is probably more dangerous than jonkers red trails, I would definitely grade it dark red  :ph34r:  :ph34r: to Jonkers standards.

But compairing to a Jonkers blue trail lol, you hubbers are funny, next time we talk about it someone will say that it's a green trail or a fireroad

Easily comparable to NES. But maybe you don't ride the first portage on NES?

But things are subjective, which is why there is a system to assist in making the grading less subjective.

Armageddon or rather Canaries is much more technical to get through,  think even about the second section (the one that used to be Canaries 1 before Arma came about) and how difficult that was to get through, then you have much tighter switchbacks, steeper gradient, more loose rock on the upper section than Cobra. 

Also...Armageddon/Canaries is a Blue  trail too mos :)

But yes, we can debate at infinitum until we use a system and  stop giving people a false sense that they are potentially capable of more than what they truly are.

Cobra and many other places on Tygerberg take casualties, but they also accommodate far more riders. It would be far better to quote the  number of casualties as a percentage of riders such that the data are more normalized to look at. Simply quoting a number itself can be massively misleading in ones  psyche as to what the real story is. 

I think people are not (Edit meant to say NOT moaning) moaning......I think the question is.....

Why can idea's not be voiced

Why can requests not be made

Why must someone leave a club when they like 98% of the trails they just want to ask for something to be added.

BTW:  Why must someone leave a country / club / group / association etc when they are not happy with how things are going, why can they not try be the and make the change they want to see? #justasking

Edit: What has happened to this country where one can not give constructive criticism to anyone

For example: "Get of your phone" is met with "F-You" before you can even say "there is a unmarked cop 3 cars behind you"

Dare tell a business that you would like something they are installing done in a certain way.... "let us do our job and complain afterwords to the boss"

What is going on with this

"If you dont like it then F-Off"

Edited by Quagga

I think the question is 

Why can idea's not be voiced

Why can requests not be made

Why must someone leave a club when they like 98% of the trails they just want to ask for something to be added.

BTW:  Why must someone leave a country / club / group / association etc when they are not happy with how things are going, why can they not try be the and make the change they want to see? #justasking

Wellll the final straw for me leaving was moving from our house on Majik Forest to Gardens in the City Bowl...So I no longer had ONLY Tygerberg to ride after work anymore.

That being said, I thought my riding would suffer from lack of trails...I was wholly wrong :P

P.S. I took a k@k tumble last night so walking is tough, let along driving, so am at home today...hence my (more than usual) interaction here today  :thumbup:

Wellll the final straw for me leaving was moving from our house on Majik Forest to Gardens in the City Bowl...So I no longer had ONLY Tygerberg to ride after work anymore.

That being said, I thought my riding would suffer from lack of trails...I was wholly wrong :P

P.S. I took a k@k tumble last night (ON a double black DIAMOND ) so walking is tough, let along driving, so am at home today...hence my (more than usual) interaction here today  :thumbup:

Fixed it for you :-)

Fixed it for you :-)

Hahahaha, no, coming down the open rock slab on TM. Just screwed up cos was trying something new, braked too hard on the front and washed out. Straight OTB onto my damn hip. BAKA!

Sometimes the stupidest things result in the biggest pain in the arse.

Crashing on that granite is my biggest nightmare.

Hahahah well yes, luckily it was after the main slab through that roocky chicane thing actually. Quite comical, but last night was shyte trying to get to sleep.

No position was comfortable enough for the bruised spot to not be...noticeable.

Unfortunately the bike survived so no insurance payout  :devil:

Tygerberg is a lekker place to ride and it's great to have that amount of off road distance (without tar) as training especially if someone was training for longer events. I used stay near there once upon a time and was a member during that time and of course frequented those trails. Respect to the team that builds and maintains it all. Hoogekraal became my favourite in the network because it had more variation in one place, with cobra and the last loop (bermed) being different from one another. I thought it was kind of weird that my limited skills were able to navigate through a "black" trail without too much difficulty, but felt like I was progressing nonetheless. Then I moved to the Southern Suburbs and had a few "bek meets rock" events on Tokai "blue" trails and realized that maybe the "black" rating of Hoogies cobra was not so representative of it's difficulty and that my skills were not improving, lol. That aside, Tygerberg is still a lekker place to ride and hopefully they just keep up the good work and adding more (with more variation and technicality) to the network.