Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

From your response I understand you are not a member but a casual user,correct?

Used to be, no longer. Didn't renew for 2019 or this year. I remain a casual user and contermanskloof & hoogies remain two of my preferred trail centres

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to be, no longer. Didn't renew for 2019 or this year. I remain a casual user and contermanskloof & hoogies remain two of my preferred trail centres

Then..?????

Then..?????

Then??? That's a lot of question marks..

If anyone is qualified to query things it is the ones who were let down enough to speak with their money and leave.

They still care about MTB riding and see a future.

I can tell you now...Being a member doesn't make you a "non-casual" member, as being a non-member doesn't make you a casual.

I am VERY happy with what the club offers.

Granted, we are not into the super technical stuff.  Though I love to photograph these riders mid flight ....

For the ordinary rider the club certainly offers a LOT.

The Hubbers know the threads discussing the rating of Hoogekraal .... we have all read the debates of what a "black" trail is ..... and I certainly understand that there are riders that want something truly technical.  BUT, let's not forget the many threads about people being air lifted to hospital from Hoogekraal ....  So clearly there is a lot more to this debate.

Would be nice if there was something for the truly technical riders, with some way to protect the rookies from themselves ....

Respect and sympathy to those responsible for balancing all these issues ....

Disclaimer - as Maritz helped to build the new pump track I may just be a bit biased  :whistling: 

post-110956-0-14253800-1582140597_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

I am VERY happy with what the club offers.

Granted, we are not into the super technical stuff. Though I love to photograph these riders mid flight ....

For the ordinary rider the club certainly offers a LOT.

The Hubbers know the threads discussing the rating of Hoogekraal .... we have all read the debates of what a "black" trail is ..... and I certainly understand that there are riders that want something truly technical. BUT, let's not forget the many threads about people being air lifted to hospital from Hoogekraal .... So clearly there is a lot more to this debate.

Would be nice if there was something for the truly technical riders, with some way to protect the rookies from themselves ....

Respect and sympathy to those responsible for balancing all these issues ....

Disclaimer - as Maritz helped to build the new pump track I may just be a bit biased :whistling:

Bloemendal-6.jpg

Chris, I have to disagree with you on one point here... there is no debating what a blue, red, black, etc trail is. There are IMBA guidelines that help trail centers grade their trails - so that should be a very easy exercise.

I did the Hoogekraal Enduro last year, it's the first time I rode there. Dropped into the "black" Cobra - it is less techy than Never Ending Story (a blue trail) in Jonkershoek. It's a lovely trail, don't get me wrong, it's just not black - so I don't get why it's graded black at all.

As for having more techy stuff - let me just say I am very happy I live close to Helderberg and Jonkerhoek. I get why the majority of trails in Tygerberg are bermy and smooth - it's fun, everyone can ride it, and it makes even beginner cyclists feel like superman. But at the same time I get Myles, Thermo, etc's plight - surely there is enough demand for techy trails too (not instead of).

Take Jonkershoek and Helderberg, there are trails that suit everyone - from green all the way through to double blacks like Status, and at the beginning of each trail a good write up of the skill level and bike needed for the trail - no one will accidentally drop into Plumber or Status.

I'm not a member of Tygerberg, so I can't comment on the way the club is run - I can tell you this though - from the times I have been there I have enjoyed the trails alot, but there is no variety - it's just berm after berm after berm. And there is a place for those trails, just don't see why that has to be the only option for members, especially when there is a clear demand for more.

And to anyone that says just go faster - that is a silly argument, going fast on a flow trail does not make it technical.

PS - Chris, my post isn't aimed at you - only replying to your comment about grading and then got carried away from there.

Edit: IMBA trai rating: https://www.imba.com/resource/trail-difficulty-rating-system

Edited by Grease_Monkey

This topic is one of the more interesting opinion topics on le hub.

As I see it, everyone (and by "everyone" I mean anyone who has posted on the the topic) agrees that overall the tygerberg trails are rad, with some trail centres being preferred over others. It's also agreed the club does a good job with keeping the peace with landowners (respect to those who allow us access). But when you ride the trails regularly, you start to want a little more...and that's when the opinions fall to pieces.

Those wanting a little more are asking for some natural gnar, which to me means rocky, rooty, off camber and maybe some challenging steeps. Jumps are cool, but bigger jumps doesn't really mean technical in my opinion, they just mean more intimidating and arguably more risk (especially when the wind is howling!). So asking for a little more natural gnar doesn't seem too unreasonable or offensive to me, since it's not saying the trails are totally terrible, but rather that having just a little more natural gnar would add some spice (or variety if you will).

Yet unfortunately the above suggestion is found to be an offence against the club. Suppose sometimes the only option is to agree to disagree - no need for vitriol. I for one think more natural gnar would be great

As I see it, everyone (and by "everyone" I mean anyone who has posted on the the topic) agrees that overall the tygerberg trails are rad, with some trail centres being preferred over others. It's also agreed the club does a good job with keeping the peace with landowners (respect to those who allow us access). But when you ride the trails regularly, you start to want a little more...and that's when the opinions fall to pieces.

Those wanting a little more are asking for some natural gnar, which to me means rocky, rooty, off camber and maybe some challenging steeps. Jumps are cool, but bigger jumps doesn't really mean technical in my opinion, they just mean more intimidating and arguably more risk (especially when the wind is howling!). So asking for a little more natural gnar doesn't seem too unreasonable or offensive to me, since it's not saying the trails are totally terrible, but rather that having just a little more natural gnar would add some spice (or variety if you will).

Yet unfortunately the above suggestion is found to be an offence against the club. Suppose sometimes the only option is to agree to disagree - no need for vitriol. I for one think more natural gnar would be great

This could quite possibly be the best post I've read on this topic, ever.

Can it be.

Could you be the 1?

Could you be the 1 to bring balance to the north?!

To unit the dark & the light...

Can it be.

Could you be the 1?

What unit are we using? Pi? If so I'll be there. Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Can it be.

Could you be the 1?

It's balance to the Force you nab....P.S. Star Trek is better!

It's balance to the Force you nab....P.S. Star Trek is better!

:D

LOL

Let's not let this thread get out of hand & off topic now!

Hi Grease_Monkey

I do agree that a trail rating is supposed to be an objective thing.  I was pointing to the sadly high incedense of air lifting from what is a clearly not a very technical trail.

And in my next paragraph I DO aknowledge that it would be nice if there more options for the true technical riders  (It might give me more opportunities for lekka photography..)

And YES, I do know that your reply was aimed at the facts, not the person.  Sadly so many replies deteriorate into personal attacks, which may well be why some of these threads get locked ....

Chris, I have to disagree with you on one point here... there is no debating what a blue, red, black, etc trail is. There are IMBA guidelines that help trail centers grade their trails - so that should be a very easy exercise.

I'm not a member of Tygerberg, so I can't comment on the way the club is run - I can tell you this though - from the times I have been there I have enjoyed the trails alot, but there is no variety - it's just berm after berm after berm. And there is a place for those trails, just don't see why that has to be the only option for members, especially when there is a clear demand for more.

And to anyone that says just go faster - that is a silly argument, going fast on a flow trail does not make it technical.

PS - Chris, my post isn't aimed at you - only replying to your comment about grading and then got carried away from there.

Hi Grease_Monkey

I do agree that a trail rating is supposed to be an objective thing. I was pointing to the sadly high incedense of air lifting from what is a clearly not a very technical trail.

Highly Bermed flow trails allow riders to attain and maintain high speeds. This is lekker, and makes everyone feel like a hero. But this leads to high consequence crashes. And we have seen the manifestation of this. Add jumps with riders learning to jump to the equation and you are stacking the odds of a crash.

These flow trails also need to be maintained. High speeds lead to braking bumps, and when brakes are dragged through berms erosion follows. When these trails get eroded the high speed crashes become more prevalent.

Edit: trails that are more technical are slower, with less (or no) jumps, will inevitably have less traffic and need less maintenance if built well. Status In Jonkers and some of the Table Mountain trails are like this.

Edited by PhilipV

I believe this issue is bigger than just Tygerberg.

Most trail centers build to the 80:20 % principal. Build stuff that 80% of your clients can ride and will enjoy. And vermy flow trails fit the bill.

The fact that the average SA rider's skill level is pretty low means that this premise will continue. Fitness is prized higher than technical ability, so there isn't enough incentive to better oneself. Because there is little need for better skills, there is little need for rougher trails. I am speaking broadly here.

Tygerberg is the frequent recipient of the call for rougher trails, because of the size of it's user base. The big numbers mean there will be more riders with higher skills that understand the need for demanding trails without berms.

Tygerberg is also frequently lambasted for it because of the way it has handled these requests in the past. They have lost members because of it, but the sport is growing fast, so these lost numbers were swallowed up by the increasing numbers of the 80% riders.

Edited by PhilipV