Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to weigh in on this but here goes.

Think of this in restaurant terms. 

Tygerberg is a pizza place. They make great pizza. And lot's of it. And based on the numbers many many many agree.

If you want sushi go to Town or Jonkers. 

We're so incredibly lucky to live in a city where there is so much riding variety. Remember when the only riding you could do out Durbaville way was Magic Forest?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

What if I want some sushi on my pizza?

Tygerberg is a pizza place. They make great pizza. And lot's of it. And based on the numbers many many many agree.

We're so incredibly lucky to live in a city where there is so much riding variety. Remember when the only riding you could do out Durbaville way was Magic Forest?

And that matters why exactly? 

The club has paying members asking for this, the club has LOST members because of this.

If you want sushi, there are plenty of places in the ville to get.

here we go!

I see the rabbit hole fast approaching and it was going SO well!!!

BUT, I do still think that the continued head bashing in this regard is a waste of time. 

Tygerberg obviously aren't receptive at the moment, so no matter how many people weigh in, the differences of opinion actually don't matter and just create spats on the various forums.

Without an organised, well thought out plan put together and introduced formally to the board, I can't see this ever being more than an 'us and them' scenario with everyone feeling butthurt.

They see these sorts of things raised at the AGM as an ambush, so lets say PhilV, Thermo, Myles, JasonS and the other 10 guys got together, planned a fundraiser, put some ideas and some plans to the board OUTSIDE of the AGM backed with the Enduro Craze angle, 300 members signatures and a nice coffee, I'm sure there will be a more receptive, straightforward answer.

Sometimes having an idea, however viable, is seen as just that, but having an idea and a cohesive plan is usually greeted with more support.

It's just an idea.

Ok this is my suggestion.

Start with a mahoosive survey.

1. Let the club member rate their own skill level 1-10

2. Make a list of all the clubs trails. Dh/xc/uphill ec.

3. Ask the member which of trails he/she has ridden. With those they have not the reason with maybe 3 options.

4. Let the member rate the trail difficulty on fitness, technicality.1-10

This should give an idea of what trails ets used the most vs the least should also give an indication. Where the can fill in the gaps.

Imight be wrong on this but I also see it as such. If you look at a bell curve . . If there are more green trails than black. Since I reckon fewer people are less capable than we think(i might be wrong) then treat the people on the green side better than those on the "black trail" side. . .( now its been established . . Sort of)

Hope the baggy brigade get some love from the Tiger Club

Just add rocks and camber, Bruh

There’s not enough black worthy segments by far

And that is probably the core of this ongoing discussion (or at least a small part of it) ...

The different "brigades" ....

Those true first timers that walk half of B-Spot .... the seriously first timers that manage to get all twisted up and into the bushes at B-Spot ..... the hill climbers .... the berm-schredders .... not to mention the many families out for a leasurely ride .... en DAN, die manne met die broeke en die baarde ....

Strange that on the trails ALL these "brigades" live in harmony, help each other out, have a dop together .....

Come onto the Hub and it is keyboards ablaze !!!!  Must the withdrawel symptoms of too little saddle time ...

PS - again I say, we dont do the serious technical stuff, but I do understand why "this brigade" is asking for some wicked stuff ....

I go to the AGMs and if 30 members including committee are there its a lot out of 7000 members, i do agree we need challenging trails, hey 30 members and votes not going to happen to few of us at the AGMs to make an difference. :cursing:

here we go!

I see the rabbit hole fast approaching and it was going SO well!!!

BUT, I do still think that the continued head bashing in this regard is a waste of time. 

Tygerberg obviously aren't receptive at the moment, so no matter how many people weigh in, the differences of opinion actually don't matter and just create spats on the various forums.

Without an organised, well thought out plan put together and introduced formally to the board, I can't see this ever being more than an 'us and them' scenario with everyone feeling butthurt.

They see these sorts of things raised at the AGM as an ambush, so lets say PhilV, Thermo, Myles, JasonS and the other 10 guys got together, planned a fundraiser, put some ideas and some plans to the board OUTSIDE of the AGM backed with the Enduro Craze angle, 300 members signatures and a nice coffee, I'm sure there will be a more receptive, straightforward answer.

Sometimes having an idea, however viable, is seen as just that, but having an idea and a cohesive plan is usually greeted with more support.

It's just an idea.

I go to the AGMs and if 30 members including committee are there its a lot out of 7000 members, i do agree we need challenging trails, hey 30 members and votes not going to happen to few of us at the AGMs to make an difference. :cursing:

Look, many of us stopped going to the AGM's (as I have with my body corporate) because it appeared as though it was a forum where members were told what decisions had been made. Very little was ever voted on in my experience. At one AGM in particular we were explicitly told no discussion would be undertaken on trails, etc.

So...can you imagine why nobody feels like they should go...

Would the recent "explosion" of riders entering #Enduro events also not be a good indicator that the market is looking for more challenging trails?

"explosion"......sounds hectic

How many actually attend Enduro events like McGregor for example

It's not about "enduro". Forget that term or type of racing exists.

People want more variety and challenges.

Enduro is a form of racing point to point against a clock.

That happens what, 3 times a year maybe for some people. Who cares.

It's the other 363 days a year we're talking about.

Chris, I have to disagree with you on one point here... there is no debating what a blue, red, black, etc trail is. There are IMBA guidelines that help trail centers grade their trails - so that should be a very easy exercise.

I did the Hoogekraal Enduro last year, it's the first time I rode there. Dropped into the "black" Cobra - it is less techy than Never Ending Story (a blue trail) in Jonkershoek. It's a lovely trail, don't get me wrong, it's just not black - so I don't get why it's graded black at all.

As for having more techy stuff - let me just say I am very happy I live close to Helderberg and Jonkerhoek. I get why the majority of trails in Tygerberg are bermy and smooth - it's fun, everyone can ride it, and it makes even beginner cyclists feel like superman. But at the same time I get Myles, Thermo, etc's plight - surely there is enough demand for techy trails too (not instead of).

Take Jonkershoek and Helderberg, there are trails that suit everyone - from green all the way through to double blacks like Status, and at the beginning of each trail a good write up of the skill level and bike needed for the trail - no one will accidentally drop into Plumber or Status.

I'm not a member of Tygerberg, so I can't comment on the way the club is run - I can tell you this though - from the times I have been there I have enjoyed the trails alot, but there is no variety - it's just berm after berm after berm. And there is a place for those trails, just don't see why that has to be the only option for members, especially when there is a clear demand for more.

And to anyone that says just go faster - that is a silly argument, going fast on a flow trail does not make it technical.

PS - Chris, my post isn't aimed at you - only replying to your comment about grading and then got carried away from there.

Edit: IMBA trai rating: https://www.imba.com/resource/trail-difficulty-rating-system

Whoa there tiger, I have ridden both plenty myself, and I ain't buying what you're selling there.