Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

I say this survey is rad.

Take the numbers, the voters etc, get together and make a cohesive plan and approach the club, hat in hand, with backing, a survey YOU did and already garnered support.

Asking the club to initiate change on your behalf is almost never going to happen. You guys do the ground work and take it to them.

Chat about costing per Meter of trail and what club resources are available. If you present sufficient backing of existing members and a well executed plan, it will be difficult for them to say No outright.

I get that everyone feels they shouldn't have to do this, but sometimes initiating change is best done with hard work and good planning.

I just feel if this was done properly and they still told you to get stuffed, THEN have a moan and move on because you've then exhausted every avenue.

Having ongoing bugbears like this causes cancer.

Make a good go of it or let it go. I'm saying this for your own good. The Rabbi has spoken!!! hahaha

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are completely thumbsuck.

Unfortunately a survey like that is inherently biased (as is this one), BUT...possibly the only way to get some form of data on the subject.

But yes, it woudl go a long way, but the manner in which it is delivered should be designed. i.e. what questions to ask (the ones in this poll are actually quite fair and well thought out) how does it go out, what percentage of the club should answer before the results can be considered representative, etc, etc.

There was mos a survey a few years ago, but the number of respondents was very low.

Anyway, let's hope they are reading ans this is brought up at the upcoming AGM. That will be a good platform to at least come to the committe with some data which one can present to show there are members who would like some more varied or technical/steeper trails (at present it is overwhelmingly positive in favour of).

Hopefully it is clear that nobody is advocating necessarily brand new trails esp from the start as that is a massive expense, but tweaking of existing perhaps as a start. Anyhoo, best of luck to the peeps attending, a know a good few of my riding buddies who live out that side will be.

People with clip board, 5 questions at the various trail center parking areas should do

these 95% this, 5% that percentages frustrate me ... it is all thumbsuck percentages/figures until they are tested..... a proper thought out poll should go a long way to achieving this.

now I am sure a member on the committee must be following this thread by now .... so .. what about it?

Those %'s was in some newsletter, but I might have it wrong but 1% or 2%.....

And yes a survey would be nice to do, rather than asking 7000+ people to attend  AGM or SGM just send out a link and you need to provide your membership number when filling in as a club member and you registered email address.

And have and option for NON club member 

That way you can check that the data is now skewed by a small group filling it in 20 times

They are completely thumbsuck.

Unfortunately a survey like that is inherently biased (as is this one), BUT...possibly the only way to get some form of data on the subject.

But yes, it woudl go a long way, but the manner in which it is delivered should be designed. i.e. what questions to ask (the ones in this poll are actually quite fair and well thought out) how does it go out, what percentage of the club should answer before the results can be considered representative, etc, etc.

There was mos a survey a few years ago, but the number of respondents was very low.

Anyway, let's hope they are reading ans this is brought up at the upcoming AGM. That will be a good platform to at least come to the committe with some data which one can present to show there are members who would like some more varied or technical/steeper trails (at present it is overwhelmingly positive in favour of).

Hopefully it is clear that nobody is advocating necessarily brand new trails esp from the start as that is a massive expense, but tweaking of existing perhaps as a start. Anyhoo, best of luck to the peeps attending, a know a good few of my riding buddies who live out that side will be.

Ja, that is why I made sure to say a well thought out poll.

You have a point of how to encourage a high response rate to a survey ... now everybody loves winning .... so if a prize of sorts could be found for one of the members who take part in the poll I am sure people would be more motivated to take part.

Maybe a full body sports massage by Myles could be the ticket!

People with clip board, 5 questions at the various trail center parking areas should do

Yeah something like that is better.

Instead of asking people to participate, thereby allowing only people with a vested interest to actually participate you create a bias...and effectively you have no data.

But like you say, approaching people at random (well as much as possible) would be better.

But if we just do a simple thought experiment...Would any rational person not be open to the idea to some money being spent on more technical trails (amendments to current  or new) when there is already an overabundance of other trails to be ridden? My heartfelt answer to that is no.

Take the numbers, the voters etc, get together and make a cohesive plan and approach the club, hat in hand, with backing, a survey YOU did and already garnered support.

Asking the club to initiate change on your behalf is almost never going to happen. You guys do the ground work and take it to them.

Chat about costing per Meter of trail and what club resources are available. If you present sufficient backing of existing members and a well executed plan, it will be difficult for them to say No outright.

I get that everyone feels they shouldn't have to do this, but sometimes initiating change is best done with hard work and good planning.

I just feel if this was done properly and they still told you to get stuffed, THEN have a moan and move on because you've then exhausted every avenue.

Make a good go of it or let it go. I'm saying this for your own good. The Rabbi has spoken!!! hahaha

Are you sure this was never done or tried? 

I mostly agree with what you are saying....but.

1. The club would have to send out the survey as they have all the members contact information.

2. There is no need for those asking for a change of sorts to the trails being / to be built to have to get the associated costs. The club would have a budget for trail building and maintenance and seeing as they have a permanently employed team of trail builders, they would then be able to more accurately define a trails costs. They also have more intimate knowledge of where the trails can be built given their interactions with the various land owners.

3. I do not see why the club and members should simply not be working together. I understand that of those who have commented here have tried to approach the club before.

So far this thread has mostly been a reasonable debate ... with a few shots at each other which unfortunately detracts from the matter at hand.

This thread should be kept clean and to the point.

That's the point. Otherwise it's just bellyaching and backslapping

Well said Hairy dude.

1. The club would have to send out the survey as they have all the members contact information.

2. There is no need for those asking for a change of sorts to the trails being / to be built to have to get the associated costs. The club would have a budget for trail building and maintenance and seeing as they have a permanently employed team of trail builders, they would then be able to more accurately define a trails costs. They also have more intimate knowledge of where the trails can be built given their interactions with the various land owners.

3. I do not see why the club and members should simply not be working together. I understand that of those who have commented here have tried to approach the club before.

So far this thread has mostly been a reasonable debate ... with a few shots at each other which unfortunately detracts from the matter at hand.

That's the point. Otherwise it's just bellyaching and backslapping

I think you will see this thread is getting to a point where there is a positive moment to action or decent suggestions being made.

Let's keep aching tummies and old boys club back slapping out of this discussion.

Fully agree with you

The club has all the contacts and a very simple survey like

"would you mind if we spend RXXX building a double black trail that most people might not use"

Thermo - stop whinging about it - see Jewbacca's excellent suggestion earlier in the thread about drawing up a detailed proposal and plan.

Every sports club I've ever belonged to - running, cricket, cycling, squash for a short while has relied on a small number of people devoting a lot of time to keeping things running. Whenever there's a wish from the members for something different to what is being done to happen, this membership must step up and make plans. If you want hot dogs and home made lemonade at the drinks break after 30 overs - someone's girlfriend has to get involved and make them. If you want better surfaces in the nets - someone ha to pitch in on a Saturday to help pull the roller across the turf and so on. If you want better / more / different trails, design them, enter a constructive process ...

At the moment though all I can hear is "Mommy won't listen to me about what I want and it's not fair"

Trust me if give thermophage a tools, he will build the trail himself. Unfortunately, landowners and club bureaucracy wont alow it.

Trust me if give thermophage a tools, he will build the trail himself. Unfortunately, landowners and club bureaucracy wont alow it.

Yep quite a few of us have helped and built trails. Even at tygerberg! But "landowners and club bureaucracy wont Dont allow it."

Fully agree with you

The club has all the contacts and a very simple survey like

"would you mind if we spend RXXX building a double black trail that most people might not use"

The did that when they built the mahoosive jumpline at bloemendal

The did that when they built the mahoosive jumpline at bloemendal

I heard that, that line was not build by the club