UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

Noob question.... do the XC rules state that riders must start with one foot on the ground?

I would have thought track-standing on the start line would prevent the not infrequent pedals slips we see off the line, like Nino had in Leogang which essentially ruined his entire race.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, wolver said:

Noob question.... do the XC rules state that riders must start with one foot on the ground?

I would have thought track-standing on the start line would prevent the not infrequent pedals slips we see off the line, like Nino had in Leogang which essentially ruined his entire race.

Dont think so but having 80 riders trying to track stand in a compact pen while waiting to throw down 1000 + watts seems like a pretty awful idea 

17 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I wonder if that is primarily because of how steep the climbs are or if there are other factors... Surely aerodynamics can't be such a big thing on an XCO course? 

Its a bar height thing. He is short and his seat to bar height ratio is too flat for the climbs. I have the opposite problem. My bars are too low thanks to crappy frame design by all manufacturers which fails to lengthen the  head tube on XL and XXL sizes sufficiently. 

1 hour ago, wolver said:

Yes, otherwise you have a mass start of riders more focused on balancing their bikes instead of the start.

Reminds me of a Gauteng provincial in Heidelberg. Anton Oberholzer OB thought he could lean on another rider (me) and clip in. While the rest of us had the normal human one foot down. 

He was still trying to trackstand 90’ to the line while the rest of us started.

2 hours ago, wolver said:

I haven't found a rule in the start procedure that specifies you have to have one foot on the ground but having being under Starters' orders several times, the Starter always calls for it in the start procedure. In the start chute the riders are under Starters control so I guess its an unwritten rule as I'm sure someone will try a track stand and fall on top of the rider next to them turning the start event into a comedy fest :)

2 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Dont think so but having 80 riders trying to track stand in a compact pen while waiting to throw down 1000 + watts seems like a pretty awful idea 

Agree, but if you have the luxury of being on the front row, I think it's a far less awful idea as it looks far less "compact" up front.

Anyway, it's just something I've wondered watching the last few races. 

10 hours ago, wolver said:

Agree, but if you have the luxury of being on the front row, I think it's a far less awful idea as it looks far less "compact" up front.

Anyway, it's just something I've wondered watching the last few races. 

for sure , I'm arguing the idea at all I just think it would become a snowball that would make the starts of WC events look like poorley organised amateur events 

6 hours ago, wolver said:

Not exactly an extract from the UCI rule book I know. But article here says not allowed. One foot must be on the floor. 

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/cross-country-mtb-racing-tips

19 hours ago, BaGearA said:

for sure , I'm arguing the idea at all I just think it would become a snowball that would make the starts of WC events look like poorley organised amateur events 

Or more entertaining????

On 6/16/2021 at 5:36 PM, NotSoBigBen said:

I wonder if that is primarily because of how steep the climbs are or if there are other factors... Surely aerodynamics can't be such a big thing on an XCO course? 

I'd guess the former... to keep the front wheel where there's traction.

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

I'd guess the former... to keep the front wheel where there's traction.

aero would also be a thing to consider. On the flats and lower gradients they are well into the speed range where aerodynamics is a factor, albeit a lesser consideration 

• 2 weeks later...