UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

13 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Ok can someone give us newbies context here...

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/james-reid-its-time-to-move-away-from-professional-cycling/

In terms of rivals that you have competed against, who do have the most respect for?

Nobody within cycling actually. I have role models outside of sport, because I’ve learnt the hard way that humans are inherently flawed and disappoint more often than not. David George, Rourke Croeser, George Hincapie (side note: the PR behind it from Cape Epic is outrageously hypocritical), are all figures in my life I’ve once held up but been bitterly disappointed by, so I guess another reason for moving away from sport is the doping clouds of uncertainty. I have a moral code of zero-tolerance that I’ve always stuck to throughout my career, but I’m not sure everyone else I’ve raced against could say the same. You’ll often be judged through a certain lens by members of the public who attach a certain stigma to cyclists that I no longer want to be a part of. ????‍♂️

Stoked to see this stuff is still up, spent many hours working with Bardy on material like this. It’s a good foundation of information for the sport. Reid is as forthright as ever.

One of sport administration’s failings is not listening closer to athletes and taking them on board. I can understand from both perspectives though.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

spacer.pngPic credit: Scott

Don't think anyone could ride that comfortably other than Nino 

48 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

spacer.pngPic credit: Scott

I wonder if that is primarily because of how steep the climbs are or if there are other factors... Surely aerodynamics can't be such a big thing on an XCO course? 

28 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I wonder if that is primarily because of how steep the climbs are or if there are other factors... Surely aerodynamics can't be such a big thing on an XCO course? 

90 mm long integrated stem ????????‍♂️

27 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

90 mm long integrated stem ????????‍♂️

I'm thinking how 'slammed' and negative it is.... 

10 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

There was that at the time, but also the underpinning factor that Buys had clearly qualified within SASCOC/CSA policies at the time. 

From what I recall is there may have been some correspondence to that effect as well. Which is why Buys raised issue with this at the time. 

Similar story with Cherise beforehand, where ironically members of the appeal committee who upheld the decision. Were also part of the selection process.

Similar situation in the US with Erin Huck being snubbed in favour of Chloe Woodruff. Erin is 40 and Chloe 33. That plays a role.

In 2015 Alan was very young (18) but a bright prospect for the future (he was moving to Specialized U23 program which would have played a role).

2 hours ago, babse said:

Don't think anyone could ride that comfortably other than Nino 

He wants more weight on the front wheel. Jaroslav also had quite a slammed position

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Similar situation in the US with Erin Huck being snubbed in favour of Chloe Woodruff. Erin is 40 and Chloe 33. That plays a role.

In 2015 Alan was very young (18) but a bright prospect for the future (he was moving to Specialized U23 program which would have played a role).

He wants more weight on the front wheel. Jaroslav also had quite a slammed position

Or Nino just has exceptionally long arms :P

Back to Nino and this weekends performance ...

Short track race start was a total mess .... 

Recent form raises questions about his chances, even if he had a perfect start ....

Surely he and the new bike deserves a fair chance .... after a decent start ....

Doubt he will podium, but maybe the old man will keep them honost ...

10 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Back to Nino and this weekends performance ...

Short track race start was a total mess .... 

Recent form raises questions about his chances, even if he had a perfect start ....

Surely he and the new bike deserves a fair chance .... after a decent start ....

Doubt he will podium, but maybe the old man will keep them honost ...

Maybe but I wouldn't bet on it. He's 35 and he's decline started in 2019 already. Last year there just wasn't enough events to highlight how off the boil he was. He's had a massively successful run from 2015 through 2018 and even before then he was one of the top 3 consistently. That form has to come to an end.

He will have good races again for sure but I fear they will be less predictable than in his illustrious past

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Maybe but I wouldn't bet on it. He's 35 and he's decline started in 2019 already. Last year there just wasn't enough events to highlight how off the boil he was. He's had a massively successful run from 2015 through 2018 and even before then he was one of the top 3 consistently. That form has to come to an end.

He will have good races again for sure but I fear they will be less predictable than in his illustrious past

Like I said, at least he's racing well. Look at Valentino Rossi, permanently at the back. Not shoddy to finish tenth...

28 minutes ago, splat said:

What is that magafter under the bars ?

Google tells me that its a Blipbox controller

Image of SRAM eTap Blips Shifters 2x11/12-speed - Set

SRAM RED eTap AXS Blip Box, 287,50 €

Indeed. It is used to trigger the AXS Reverb dropper.