UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

MTB selection policy is publicly available on CSA’s website https://www.cyclingsa.com/mountain/

ok just to humour myself I had a look there.

not really explained what the process is for Olympic selection as that is in consultation with SASCOC, but results are there and it was clearly extremely close. Seems Candice doing more local events is maybe what edged it. (At WChamps 2020 they both lost to Cherie).

image.png.b57650f2076625f3f0ba5496dc1263d7.png

Performance Summary Long List 2021 XCO WOMEN.pdf

so it looks like Candice better performance in Albstadt is what swung it in her favour.

Looks like Candice earned her UCI points the easier way by racing in SA or have I got it wrong? I know WC races offer more points for the same position. There is a weighting applied. Does anyone know how the weighting is calculated?

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

so it looks like Candice better performance in Albstadt is what swung it in her favour.

Looks like Candice earned her UCI points the easier way by racing in SA or have I got it wrong? I know WC races offer more points for the same position. There is a weighting applied. Does anyone know how the weighting is calculated?

Mariske had more UCI points.

there's no right answer here (except maybe send neither)

4 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Stalking, it’s called stalking!????

And to take that even further I read in my Estate's quarterly newsletter today that he is a resident here

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

olympic selection is always tough when there are two close candidates going for one slot - did we have a policy with selection criteria, (that was then followed) or is it subjective? Candice went to London 2012, we sent no one in 2016.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but on current form the top ladies are quite a bit ahead of all of our riders. 

2016 Male riders, we sent Hatherly and Reid. Latter failed after a few technicals and that was that on his MTB career. 

29 minutes ago, babse said:

2016 Male riders, we sent Hatherly and Reid. Latter failed after a few technicals and that was that on his MTB career. 

Well yes and no

James was always going to quit racing and go into finance. He decided in 2015 after Max Knox and Rourke Croeser wiped the floor with him in Lesotho doped off their nines.

He was so disillusioned with the state of the sport he made it abundantly clear he was going to race till the Olympics then retire and start (what has been) a fairly successful career.

Lets not leave out facts here.......

26 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

He decided in 2015 after Max Knox and Rourke Croeser wiped the floor with him in Lesotho doped off their nines.

This is so cold I have an Eskimo heading to the local cop shop to open a case against you ????

Jon Snow Is Cold GIF - Snow JonSnow GameOfThrones GIFs

Edited by OVERDRIVE

30 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Well yes and no

James was always going to quit racing and go into finance. He decided in 2015 after Max Knox and Rourke Croeser wiped the floor with him in Lesotho doped off their nines.

He was so disillusioned with the state of the sport he made it abundantly clear he was going to race till the Olympics then retire and start (what has been) a fairly successful career.

Ok can someone give us newbies context here...

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/james-reid-its-time-to-move-away-from-professional-cycling/

In terms of rivals that you have competed against, who do have the most respect for?

Nobody within cycling actually. I have role models outside of sport, because I’ve learnt the hard way that humans are inherently flawed and disappoint more often than not. David George, Rourke Croeser, George Hincapie (side note: the PR behind it from Cape Epic is outrageously hypocritical), are all figures in my life I’ve once held up but been bitterly disappointed by, so I guess another reason for moving away from sport is the doping clouds of uncertainty. I have a moral code of zero-tolerance that I’ve always stuck to throughout my career, but I’m not sure everyone else I’ve raced against could say the same. You’ll often be judged through a certain lens by members of the public who attach a certain stigma to cyclists that I no longer want to be a part of. ????‍♂️

32 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Well yes and no

Many people was unhappy with Hatherly going in place of Phillip Buys, but it was an investment in his future.

I wonder if Alan still has the SA custom flag Giant.

Concurr with your comments on Reid.

13 hours ago, DJuice said:

Many people was unhappy with Hatherly going in place of Phillip Buys, but it was an investment in his future.

I wonder if Alan still has the SA custom flag Giant.

Concurr with your comments on Reid.

There was that at the time, but also the underpinning factor that Buys had clearly qualified within SASCOC/CSA policies at the time. 

From what I recall is there may have been some correspondence to that effect as well. Which is why Buys raised issue with this at the time. 

Similar story with Cherise beforehand, where ironically members of the appeal committee who upheld the decision. Were also part of the selection process.