Best VPN for Netflix?

Xianders

Problem with that is that you can't change IP addresses as easily as with a VPN. Sometimes content is available in one location and not another or Netflix recognises you are using a VPN. With a VPN it is a matter of just choosing another location whereas with  a DNS it's more of a job to reconfigure your router. 

Horses for courses..

You dont need to change router settings with Getflix, you just change region in their control panel and it then routes your traffic through different serves on their end.

The thing I dont like about VPN's is having to try get a client and configure devices like media players, its often more pain than Im willing to deal with!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I suppose it depends on your setup. 

I just have an android box (MiTV) and can change vpn locations from the installed app. If I had to access the router I would have to switch on my laptop and access it that way. For me, that's a pain.

You dont need to change router settings with Getflix, you just change region in their control panel and it then routes your traffic through different serves on their end.

The thing I dont like about VPN's is having to try get a client and configure devices like media players, its often more pain than Im willing to deal with!

You can the DNS server address to one of theirs on DNS server settings on each PC / media box / whatever or on the router, If you change it on the router then you don't have to change it on the devices upstream, because they should get the DNS server address from the DHCP server on the router.

Edited by kosmonooit

You can the DNS server address to one of theirs on DNS server settings on each PC / media box / whatever or on the router, If you change it on the router then you don't have to change it on the devices upstream, because they should get the DNS server address from the DHCP server on the router.

Yup that is how I use it, I have a Linux server handling my routing/firewall/gw so I have DHCP options set to assign devices in specific VLANs to specific gateways and DNS servers.

Its a bit of a complicated setup and definitely not for everyone but I use it to limit my IoT devices and anything else I want to isolate.

ok, ok, geek speak stops.

we speak client plep language.

The Mibox and the two PC's connect to a router at home.

How, where do I put software that is Getflix (which apparently Netflix has blocked) or Xpress VPN.

You sideload (UhOh) the XpressVPN app onto your Mibox and run it from there. I do exactly that PM me if you need help.

Sideloading meand you go and download the XpressVPN android app (APK file) from a PC or even a phone. Then copy that over to your MiTV and run install on it. Voila - you will have the XpressVPN app and can run your settings from there.

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/app-for-android/

You sideload (UhOh) the XpressVPN app onto your Mibox and run it from there. I do exactly that PM me if you need help.

Sideloading meand you go and download the XpressVPN android app (APK file) from a PC or even a phone. Then copy that over to your MiTV and run install on it. Voila - you will have the XpressVPN app and can run your settings from there.

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/app-for-android/

Would it not make sense to drop it on the router ?

You can do that, yes. I find it less convenient but it's a matter of choice. I'd try them both and see which suits you.

Not all routers support the correct VPN protocols natively (which I also found out after the fact).

Edit: And switching between geographies is a pain if it's loaded onto the router.

Edited by bertusras

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but you seem to be rather tech savy. Maybe, you can advise me on my problem.

I have a JVC smart TV. Other than endless problems to get it to connect to wifi, some of the apps have expired. The TV will not allow me to update them and won't allow me to download again. Google shows it to be a common problem. My biggest gripe is that one of the expired apps is Youtube. I'm just biding my time until Netflix and the browser suffers the same demise.

Any idea on how to fix this issue?

I have been in contact with JVC (Nuworld) and their support is as useless as an A cup bra on Dolly Parton.

I have found some solutions on Youtube, but none have worked. 

Edited by Longbarn Killer

Not a dof question. I suggest you just go to ExpressVPN site and read up on it until you get it. 

It's not difficult - it just needs to be explained to you and you'll get it. Don't be intimidated.

Below is a screenshot from my phone, similar to what you will get when you connect.

The big  button connects/disconnects you. Below that is the descriptor of your current connection. In my case, Washington. 

To change it, just click on the dots to the right of Washington and follow from there. As soon as you select a city in a country, it will connect you.

post-43622-0-00528900-1583416387_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention, in order to get to this screen, you open up the ExpressVPN App on your MITV.

Bit of advice, you will get better performance in SA when using USA locations if you connect to states on their East Coast - Eg New York, Miami, Washington etc as opposed to Los Angeles.