Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I can assure you that a solo sub 4 is very very possible. Even a complete unshaven hairy hacker like me has done so on a manner of bicycles with various gear ratios and setups. 

To average 27.5kph on that route is not particularly difficult

yeah I'm pretty sure sub 3 is possible for a strong rider, what's the average needed for a sub3 ? 36 or something ?

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I can assure you that a solo sub 4 is very very possible. Even a complete unshaven hairy hacker like me has done so on a manner of bicycles with various gear ratios and setups. 

thats why I was very careful in my post and said "you have to be stronger than me", I've not managed it

8 minutes ago, Jbr said:

yeah I'm pretty sure sub 3 is possible for a strong rider, what's the average needed for a sub3 ? 36 or something ?

About 36.34km/h, to make it with 3 seconds to spare.

8 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Almost impossible, last bunch is off just after 9, Not 10am anymore. So you'll need to ride a 2:20'ish first lap in order to make it back in time. What i did though was the year i never made it back, I went down the main road, through Wynberg and onto the M3 from Constantia and caught the back guys, there weren't many so I turned right at the end of the M3, over Ou Kaaps, Down into Fish Hoek and linked up at the bottom as you turn right towards Chappies. if you don't want to do Ou Kaaps, carry on down main road, You may catch the bike markers before Jubilee or you can just turn right at Fish Hoek circle and then get plenty riders turning off Kommetjie road aswell.

I think this is what I will do - maybe straight down main road and try catch back markers as they go into Lakeside - or maybe I'll just sit down with my coke in greenpoint and try not to cramp. Will decide.

12 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I usually don't mind falling off up Edinborogh Drive because I've always managed to latch back on alone the M3 before Blue Route. The nice long downhill with open road infront and no riders tapping brakes all the time(and ofcourse gravity) usually helps with that. Oh and a tandem or 2..

Its a theory I always fully subscribed to but then in 2020 the bunch decided to continue racing after Edinburgh climb and I only managed to catch them in Simonstown, was so stuffed I got dropped on Smits again, used the last few matches to catch them again before Scarborough and then stuffed up me was finally completely dropped on the little climb after Misty Cliffs. This year I'll try harder on Edinburgh...

32 minutes ago, Jacqueswb said:

You would be surprised. I raced "@" group last year. Guys still refusing to work together. Solo sub 4 is damn near impossible rather try find the two or three strong guys if you are in a very low group. I find every group has strong riders who don't necessarily have strong seedings.

@ bunch last year rode a time of 2h48, not bad for a group of lazy buggers refusing to work together...

7 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Yeah, 36.5kph ish

That is a bit out of my league, but I'm sure there are non pro people out there who could get it done.

4 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Its a theory I always fully subscribed to but then in 2020 the bunch decided to continue racing after Edinburgh climb and I only managed to catch them in Simonstown, was so stuffed I got dropped on Smits again, used the last few matches to catch them again before Scarborough and then stuffed up me was finally completely dropped on the little climb after Misty Cliffs. This year I'll try harder on Edinburgh...

Ha Ha Ha - this sounds like just about every race I've ever ridden!

Just now, Jewbacca said:

Yeah, 36.5kph ish

That is a bit out of my league, but I'm sure there are non pro people out there who could get it done.

IF there's anyone in 1D who can do this please meet me on the start line with a tow hitch.

20 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I would agree...  My normal second lap time is  ~4:30 and that is stopping at each stop, pushing lot of people and just enjoying the ride.  (average 150w, np, 170w @90kg).

29 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I would definitely say rather burn some more matches going up Edinburgh climb and then sit in the group recovering, drinking & eating until Smits. Lots of time and distance to recover. Better than chasing, especially into the wind. Then you have some matches for Smits, Misty and the few small big one's later ????

37 minutes ago, mrcg said:

I would definitely say rather burn some more matches going up Edinburgh climb and then sit in the group recovering, drinking & eating until Smits. Lots of time and distance to recover. Better than chasing, especially into the wind. Then you have some matches for Smits, Misty and the few small big one's later ????

And watch out for the cateyes after Edinburg on the downhill.......

40 minutes ago, mrcg said:

If you add Chappies with the next bunch and Suikerbossie in the bunch after that I literally got dropped from the groups I was riding with on every single climb that day ???? Somehow still sneaked in a sub-3 but that was 100% up to good seeding & perfect weather and zero to "racing strategy" and non-existing climbing ability.

17 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

When doing a substitution do you know if you receive the original entrants seeding or do they re-seed you according to your own seeding? 

you get your own seeding if you're a PPA member as far as I know. NUmbers are printed on site so there no problem with re-seeding

1 hour ago, mrcg said:

I agree with that.  Push quite hard up the climbs (there's only 4 really) including over the top to get in a fastish bunch then try to stay near the front, including doing your bit on the front.  Chasing and jumping groups on the flat is a mugs game and will flatten you.