Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

Also, if you aren't 18-34, there is no real reason  why you shouldn't already be fully vaxxed. I get that if you fall in the bracket you probably cant fulfil the timeline reqs.

it what it is. Cyril announced last night that digital certificates/passports will be issued soon too. The sooner ppl realise that ‘right if admission reserved’ means for the most part you will get told off  going forward from entering semi private events or anything without providing one of the things required by CTCT organisers…the better.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, dave303e said:

We had to pay a lot more than R250 to get a yellow fever vaccination and vaccination passport to race the 1Zambia Mtb race about 4 years ago already.

I see no issue with the whole situation?

And dont dare travel to the ‘first world’ with a stamp in your passport from one of those yellow fever countries and NOT have that yellow fever card in there lol. They get very anxious.

30 minutes ago, MonsterMan said:

So it has come out that to get your entry for The 2021 argus. You need to give proof of vaccination or pay R250 for a test. 

Are you happy with this?  What about those in the last group to be allowed to get the vaccine....I myself  are in the last weeks waiting to get my second JAB. 

What if we pay the R250 for the entry....does that guarantee us a ride? Or do we have to get tested again the morning of the race?

What if we pay the R250 and the race gets canceled because of windy dangerous conditions.....I mean we are heading into October and I for one know how the wind blows in the southern peninsula. 

What's your thoughts?

Super happy the event is going forward, considering all that is going on in the country, this is a beacon of hope of some sort of normalcy creeping back in to daily life. 

I see the R250 testing fee for my wife and myselft as a drop in the ocean that is the overall expenditure of 4 nights accommodation, driving to Cape Town, eating, drinking, Krispy Kremes, Frozen Yoghurt. 

I believe you only have to get tested after 9:30am on Thursday for it to qualify, no need to retest on race day. 

Thank goodness for that, as a rapid test before you start would mean your nose would only feel less violated around Camps Bay 

On a different note…I havent ridden my bike since the paarl winelands ~100km ride. We have been moving and generally a 11 month old going through sleep regression makes it difficult to care about cycling haha.

Im starting in 3. But im convinced i’m going to bust a lung just trying to keep up.

hopefully i can keep when the back groups inevitably catch up. haha.

think im just gonna put beer in my bottles and enjoy the scenery.

13 minutes ago, MORNE said:

On a different note…I havent ridden my bike since the paarl winelands ~100km ride. We have been moving and generally a 11 month old going through sleep regression makes it difficult to care about cycling haha.

Im starting in 3. But im convinced i’m going to bust a lung just trying to keep up.

hopefully i can keep when the back groups inevitably catch up. haha.

think im just gonna put beer in my bottles and enjoy the scenery.

If I can find a babysitter I will be starting in the 5s.... I better not see you!

1 hour ago, MonsterMan said:

So it has come out that to get your entry for The 2021 argus. You need to give proof of vaccination or pay R250 for a test. 

Are you happy with this?  What about those in the last group to be allowed to get the vaccine....I myself  are in the last weeks waiting to get my second JAB. 

What if we pay the R250 for the entry....does that guarantee us a ride? Or do we have to get tested again the morning of the race?

What if we pay the R250 and the race gets canceled because of windy dangerous conditions.....I mean we are heading into October and I for one know how the wind blows in the southern peninsula. 

What's your thoughts?

if you dont like dont ride then. Simple.

For the event to go ahead certain protocols had to be agreed to, this was one of them.

I unfortunately due to having Covid and then other circumstances only got my J&J on 13 sept, that makes 10 Oct 28 days, this means I still have to get tested. If this is what it takes for me to ride then this is what I'll do. I'm not happy sinking another R250 into this race when I'm already on a tight budget, but it is what it is.

51 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Also, if you aren't 18-34, there is no real reason  why you shouldn't already be fully vaxxed. I get that if you fall in the bracket you probably cant fulfil the timeline reqs.

30 day waiting period post covid plus other circumstances means according to their 28 day J&J rule I'm one day off from being fully vaxxed.

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

If I can find a babysitter I will be starting in the 5s.... I better not see you!

You sure will. It is only like 20min ir something. You beat me on a bmx last year. Cant imagine how fast you must go on a grownup bike haha.
 And i’ll probably “wait????” for @NickGMin 4 too. 

1 hour ago, MonsterMan said:

The fact that you're asking this question shows me you haven't done your homework yet. I'll help you with the link, (or you could read the email on this from CTCT)

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/blog/covid-19-protocols-for-participants-of-the-2021-cape-town-cycle-tour/

As for the wind. maybe take out insurance on your homeowner's policy against acts of god, Or you could be realistic and look at the history of the event and realise that the chances of it getting cancelled for high winds are miniscule.

Edited by Shebeen
cut the quote to fit

3 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

The fact that you're asking this question shows me you haven't done your homework yet. I'll help you with the link, (or you could read the email on this from CTCT)

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/blog/covid-19-protocols-for-participants-of-the-2021-cape-town-cycle-tour/

As for the wind. maybe take out insurance on your homeowner's policy against acts of god, Or you could be realistic and look at the history of the event and realise that the chances of it getting cancelled for high winds are miniscule.

chance.png

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

It just does not make much sense what government has decided. F1, world champs etc everyone gets tested as a vaccine does not mean you cannot pass on Corona. So the idea of testing is making sure nobody creates a spreader event. If going to bother testing should test everyone. 

My plan for the CTCT world fun ride champs

1. Don't let Jewbacca beat me on his BMX.

2. Persuade someone to hold my rear wheel off the ground in the start chute so that I can employ Zwift style racing start strategy. ie. Be at 120 rpm and close to redline per kg when the hoopla happens and hold that until hospital bend.

3. Rest as much as possible until bottom of Edinburgh

4. Hold on to Footballing Cyclist's saddle bag until top of Edinburgh

5. Rest until Smits

6. Suffer until the end

7. If in good mood in Greenpoint - mooch over to lakeside and pretend to be real cyclist helping backmarkers while trying not to cramp.

8. Nervously check results for Jewbacca's time - think up new bikehub name if slower than him.

17 minutes ago, Mamil said:

2. Persuade someone to hold my rear wheel off the ground in the start chute so that I can employ Zwift style racing start strategy. ie. Be at 120 rpm and close to redline per kg when the hoopla happens and hold that until hospital bend.

3. Rest as much as possible until bottom of Edinburgh

4. Hold on to Footballing Cyclist's saddle bag until top of Edinburgh

5. Rest until Smits

6. Suffer until the end

7. If in good mood in Greenpoint - mooch over to lakeside and pretend to be real cyclist helping backmarkers while trying not to cramp.

8. Nervously check results for Jewbacca's time - think up new bikehub name if slower than him.

Omil?

19 minutes ago, Mamil said:

2. Persuade someone to hold my rear wheel off the ground in the start chute so that I can employ Zwift style racing start strategy. ie. Be at 120 rpm and close to redline per kg when the hoopla happens and hold that until hospital bend. that I can make sure my chain is on correctly and I don't cause a traffic jam and upset cyclists when chain gets stuck because you know, murphys law and all

4. Hold on to Footballing Cyclist's  Mamils jersey pocket saddle bag until top of Edinburgh  From Town all the way around to Greenpoint(will offer a slip on the -% gradients)

5. Rest Survive until Smits

6. Suffer until the end all the way

7. If in good mood in Greenpoint then get a McDonalds milkshake and go home.

8. Nervously check results for Jewbacca's and Mamils time - think up new bikehub name if slower than him.

We have a very similar idea for race day!!

18 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

It just does not make much sense what government has decided. F1, world champs etc everyone gets tested as a vaccine does not mean you cannot pass on Corona. So the idea of testing is making sure nobody creates a spreader event. If going to bother testing should test everyone. 

I disagree. a lot of sporting events involve bio bubbles, and there's loads of testing, every 3 days pretty much. spoke to someone involved in world tour cycling, reckons he's probably had 70+ tests by now.

this is an outdoor event, mass participation but start spread out over 3 hours.

I support them bringing in the vaccination requirement. it is going to become commonplace.