Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

11 hours ago, Mamil said:

1D this year. You? 

I got dropped last year and fell in with the next batch and then saw that I would have possibly just squeeked a sub 3 if I'd held on until top of Edinburgh. 

PPA have punished me quite a bit it seems, So my seeding is back down to 1E unfortunately, But on the bright side, with the lack of riding and increased eating I've been doing the past 3 or so months, 1E is probably just within my reach, Maybe even 1 group too high.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, FootballingCyclist said:

PPA have punished me quite a bit it seems, So my seeding is back down to 1E unfortunately, But on the bright side, with the lack of riding and increased eating I've been doing the past 3 or so months, 1E is probably just within my reach, Maybe even 1 group too high.

Ha Ha HA --- so basically I'll probably be seeing you about halfway up Edinburgh drive!!!

I don't know why I'm getting myself so excited - I have a compulsory 2 day hike on Friday and Saturday so I'm unlikely to have "the good legs".

10 hours ago, Emazing said:

Does any know what is the timing along route to do it under 3:30 minutes?  How do I locate that kind of thing ? 

Not sure of the timing splits but you'll need to make sure you've got just over a 32km/h average.

1 hour ago, Karman de Lange said:

3:30 is fairly easy.. but seeing we not allow to race , its going to be bit different this year.

if you start off anything in the 1's groups, you make easy.   2's giong be bit harder.

The split time calculator is normally wrong as all depends on the winds of the day.  might be fast start and slow end or vice versa.

Morning windy fun ride????????. CTCT 2019 | Ride | Strava   Very windy 3:19

My other rides are all around 3:10 or 4:30 .  maybe someone else can share there 3:30's

I did a 3:34 from 1E in those windy conditions including having to stop on Suikers with a proper cramp. Average speed was 30.56km/h

10 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I think it just becomes one amorphous blob - you can go faster than the riders around you but you never really seem to reach the front f any bunch. This cuts both ways though because you can ride slower than those around you and never really fall off the back.

This is also sort of try at the 3hrs to 3:15 section of the field even if dropped you don't have to wait long before some more people are around you. And if you manage to break from your batch chances are that you'll find droppees from the group ahead to ride with before long. 

It's like a mobius strip - there really isn't a head or a tail.

Okay, yeah that doesn't equate with my experiences in the slightly faster bunches.
Sounds like you okes are riding your bunches like runners do... :lol:
Interesting.

11 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I think it just becomes one amorphous blob - you can go faster than the riders around you but you never really seem to reach the front f any bunch. This cuts both ways though because you can ride slower than those around you and never really fall off the back.

This is also sort of try at the 3hrs to 3:15 section of the field even if dropped you don't have to wait long before some more people are around you. And if you manage to break from your batch chances are that you'll find droppees from the group ahead to ride with before long. 

It's like a mobius strip - there really isn't a head or a tail.

the further back you go though the more its just loan riders trundling along not working together.

You need to be stronger than me to do a sub 4 solo, I've not managed when on my own, in a bunch then its doable.

3 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Okay, yeah that doesn't equate with my experiences in the slightly faster bunches.
Sounds like you okes are riding your bunches like runners do... :lol:
Interesting.

yeah you guys starting further up dont really know the hardships in the alphabet soup at the back.

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

the further back you go though the more its just loan riders trundling along not working together.

You need to be stronger than me to do a sub 4 solo, I've not managed when on my own, in a bunch then its doable.

You would be surprised. I raced "@" group last year. Guys still refusing to work together. Solo sub 4 is damn near impossible rather try find the two or three strong guys if you are in a very low group. I find every group has strong riders who don't necessarily have strong seedings.

7 minutes ago, ouzo said:

yeah you guys starting further up dont really know the hardships in the alphabet soup at the back.

I always try do 2 laps .....  You must appreciate the back and enjoy the views... its alot more fun than just seeing red, chewing the stem and sometimes catch a climps of the a black wheel in front of you..

3 minutes ago, Jacqueswb said:

You would be surprised. I raced "@" group last year. Guys still refusing to work together. Solo sub 4 is damn near impossible rather try find the two or three strong guys if you are in a very low group. I find every group has strong riders who don't necessarily have strong seedings.

But in @ they are refusing cos ... well whatever their reasons - in the bottom half lots of people don't know how to.  

1 minute ago, Karman de Lange said:

I always try do 2 laps .....  You must appreciate the back and enjoy the views... its alot more fun than just seeing red, chewing the stem and sometimes catch a climps of the a black wheel in front of you..

I'm going to try to do 2 laps this year - what time does the m3 open up for the fossil fuel burning monsters?

Just now, Mamil said:

But in @ they are refusing cos ... well whatever their reasons - in the bottom half lots of people don't know how to.  

correct, at the back all they are trying to do is finish the route, they are hanging on for dear life just to keep moving forward.

16 minutes ago, Jacqueswb said:

I find every group has strong riders who don't necessarily have strong seedings.

It's easy to find them if you are also one of them... ????

I had a historically strong seeding in 2011, but crashed out. 2012 nothing to be seeded on so ended up with 2010 results + penalties and started in H. Spent about 20% of the day eating wind in the front of the group catching all manner of dropped riders from earlier groups. Only managed a 3h09 though...

Edited by bleedToWin

8 minutes ago, Jacqueswb said:

I can assure you that a solo sub 4 is very very possible. Even a complete unshaven hairy hacker like me has done so on a manner of bicycles with various gear ratios and setups. 

To average 27.5kph on that route is not particularly difficult

9 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I'm going to try to do 2 laps this year - what time does the m3 open up for the fossil fuel burning monsters?

Almost impossible, last bunch is off just after 9, Not 10am anymore. So you'll need to ride a 2:20'ish first lap in order to make it back in time. What i did though was the year i never made it back, I went down the main road, through Wynberg and onto the M3 from Constantia and caught the back guys, there weren't many so I turned right at the end of the M3, over Ou Kaaps, Down into Fish Hoek and linked up at the bottom as you turn right towards Chappies. if you don't want to do Ou Kaaps, carry on down main road, You may catch the bike markers before Jubilee or you can just turn right at Fish Hoek circle and then get plenty riders turning off Kommetjie road aswell.