Commute to work with no showers?

Hello Ruan

Hey everyone,

I want to start commuting to work but our office doesn't have showers, I am assuming people that commute to work around +/- 20km take a shower or am I being silly? If this is the case, what are the best methods to clean up at the office?

I have done some research and I am thinking of the following:

A wash rag in a ziploc bag and just wet it, wipe down and rinse it.

Anything else I should be thinking of? Or any reason why this idea isn't ideal?

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge and thoughts.

My commute is only 4,5km ... if I push a little harder I get drenched in sweat.

Face cloth and basin does wonders .... ????

Did this for about 2 years...

But conveniently for me there was a zone fitness 2 blocks away from the office. Took out a R130pm contract to use the showers every day. Worked a charm.

Personal i use commuting as training as well so sweat quite abit. I wouldn't go without a proper shower!

Hey everyone,

I want to start commuting to work but our office doesn't have showers, I am assuming people that commute to work around +/- 20km take a shower or am I being silly? If this is the case, what are the best methods to clean up at the office?

I have done some research and I am thinking of the following:

A wash rag in a ziploc bag and just wet it, wipe down and rinse it.

Anything else I should be thinking of? Or any reason why this idea isn't ideal?

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge and thoughts.

Check out this thread:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/172402-commuting-with-no-access-to-showers/?do=findComment&comment=3270083

I did this years ago, our office didn't have showers but I WANTED to commute. 

If your office doesn't have showers chances are there are no locks on the bathroom doors which makes for uncomfortable small talk when you're busy wiping yourself down with or without an onnie on and Gerald from accounts walks in. 

Goodluck, do whatever but I showered before I left, didn't ride hard and hard a cowboy splash when I got to the office. 

when I commute in, it's 30km and I shower when I get here. I hang my jersey next to my desk, and it gets a bit whiffy... I can only imagine what how I'd reek if there were no shower. But we're all different I guess... BO-wise. 

I've been running at lunch time twice a week. I use a hand towel and baby wipes... And drench my head in the basin. I them apply a generous helping of spray deodorant....... But it is winter.... Summer would be a different story

I do it this way, arrive early enough to cool off properly then cowboy splash. The ICE-TOWEL from SW comes in handy. 

Shower at home, pack one of those fitness towels into your bag (100 bucks at SW) and rinse off at the office. Slow pedal on your way to the office, so you don't become a sweat-generator

Edited by BikeGenie

Important point ... cool off BEFORE the wipe down ..

I do it this way, arrive early enough to cool of properly then cowboy splash. The ICE-TOWEL from SW comes in handy.

Just ask around at the neighbouring buildings. You will either find a building with a shower in that you could hopefully arrange to shower at, or find some or other small gym.

We recently just moved office (Previous office I had a gym across the road) and found a small gym that have allowed me to take out a shower contract. The next company I was going to approach was the hotel across the road... but no need now thankfully.

In winter the shower will be a life line of note to get your body temp back up again.

That is the number 1 reason I won't commute to the office. If I even think of any form of exercise I start sweating- so a proper shower is a must for me. 

I did commute to work when I lived in Pretoria - there was a Virgin Active around the corner.  I would just drop off a few changes of clothes at work on the days I drove in; which I hung up in my office. Then I would commute in to work, grab a change of clothes and a towel and walk across to the gym for a shower. Worked very well for me.

I commute everyday. I don’t own a car. I use baby wipes. Leave them at work, with clothes and shoes. Use a lockable bathroom.

Prize no.1 is to find a shower. If your office doesn't have, talk to other companies, gyms etc like Hairy suggested. If you are in a big building, they often have a shower or 2 hidden somewhere in the basement for security or cleaning people. Often those are unused by anyone. 

2nd prize is a hand basin in a place that can lock and give privacy. Disabled toilets often work well and most companies won't mind if you use it for a "bath in a basin" trick. The disabled facilities are often a legal requirement in a biggish building, but are not used much and you won't cause any inconvenience.

3rd prize is any toilet / room you can lock / close for a wet towel wipe down.

As already mentioned, it is essential to cool down (stop sweating) before you clean up. Mostly it takes no more than 10 minutes, just a nice relaxed cup of coffee.

Edited by DJR