2020 Cape Epic Cancelled

News bot

The bike2bed team looking after our clients as best we could after the 2020 ABSA Cape Epic was cancelled due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 Corona Virus pandemic until such time as flights became available for them to return safely home to their families.

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of a large group of about 50 international riders (including some lawyers) that are looking to take legal action against the organisers. This is subject to the outcome of their response in terms of redress or defer options.

The basis for the legal action would be along the lines of the misrepresentation act in UK law as the organisers waited to the very last moment to communicate their decision, which left international riders having travelled to cape town, without the possibility to cancel or postpone flights, accommodation, camper rentals...etc

@Pelayo

Do you know how to contact this group of riders ? I am very interested. Thanks.

Team Entry Fee:

From 3 April 2020 until 15 June 2020
International Participants: USD 4 800 (including VAT) per team
South African Participants: ZAR 68 300 (including VAT) per team

From 16 June 2020
International Participants: USD 6 490  (including VAT) per team
South African Participants: ZAR 92 900 (including VAT) per team

2020 Riders:

Riders affected by the cancellation of the 2020 Absa Cape Epic have an exclusive participation offer for the 2021, 2022 and 2023 Absa Cape Epics, details of which can be found here.

How to Enter the 2021 Absa Cape Epic:

Due to the cancellation of the 2020 race, we have modified our normal entry process to give priority to our 2020 riders.

After 2020 teams have confirmed their participation, additional public entries (if available) will open on 19 May at 15:00 (GMT+2) and will be sold on a first come first served basis.

There will not be a lottery for the 2021 Absa Cape Epic.

View the different types of entries in the table below.

https://www.cape-epic.com/riders/new-riders/how-to-enter

Team Entry Fee:

From 3 April 2020 until 15 June 2020

International Participants: USD 4 800 (including VAT) per team

South African Participants: ZAR 68 300 (including VAT) per team

From 16 June 2020

International Participants: USD 6 490  (including VAT) per team

South African Participants: ZAR 92 900 (including VAT) per team

2020 Riders:

Riders affected by the cancellation of the 2020 Absa Cape Epic have an exclusive participation offer for the 2021, 2022 and 2023 Absa Cape Epics, details of which can be found here.

How to Enter the 2021 Absa Cape Epic:

Due to the cancellation of the 2020 race, we have modified our normal entry process to give priority to our 2020 riders.

After 2020 teams have confirmed their participation, additional public entries (if available) will open on 19 May at 15:00 (GMT+2) and will be sold on a first come first served basis.

There will not be a lottery for the 2021 Absa Cape Epic.

View the different types of entries in the table below.

https://www.cape-epic.com/riders/new-riders/how-to-enter

seems fair

if i read that correctly, if you enter today you pay

$4800 - $3150 coupon

so you pay $1650 today and you're in for 2021

i think that's the organisers meeting you halfway/taking a hit if plenty take this option up

As one of the riders affected by this, I think this is a reasonable and fair outcome and the organisers have done well given the circumstances.  Many of the optional extras are also being carried over at 100% of value.  I now have the motivation back to hit the turbo while in lockdown and start training towards 2021!

As one of the riders affected by this, I think this is a reasonable and fair outcome and the organisers have done well given the circumstances. Many of the optional extras are also being carried over at 100% of value. I now have the motivation back to hit the turbo while in lockdown and start training towards 2021!

As one of the affected riders ...

... I am reflecting on the options. I thought it was going to be worse. So first impression is ... “not bad”.

True that last hour cancellation was a big disappointment and some expenses could have been saved if the decision was taken earlier ... but decision taking was complex at those circumstances. Covid-19 came as a tsunami.

Will have to talk with my team mate. Reflect. And decide.

By the way, -25% discount for “normal” entries before June 15th is an attractive proposal for new riders!

See how things have change in a month: from highly oversubscribed, difficult to get an entry, expensive,... exclusive event,... —> to no lottery, -25% discount for early birds, “please, come in 2021”.

What’s behind? My opinion:

- uncertainty (will 2021 event take place for sure? Will Covid be overcome?)

- prestige of Cape Epic, after the hit

- need for cash

Saw something on FB that entries will be transferred to 2021

Correct. At a cost of R44k (SA entrants).

Summary posted above and full details is on the Cape Epic website.