Titan Cypher Elite / Expert

Stephan

Do not own a Cypher myself, but bit of a fan from the brand.

Advise my employer to buy one and he is very happy.

Advised a friend to buy one and seems like 2020 Elite`s is very scarce. 

The 2020 models is priced right, great value for money.

From my limited knowledge the platform is well though out and sorted.

The Titan Racing website does not show the 2021 models but a online retailer does.

I am probably wrong, but my view is Titan has the 2021 range wrong.

To many versions, the Elite is up specced, but so has the price increased.

Afraid the value for money proposition is gone.

Edited by DJuice

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not own a Cypher myself, but bit of a fan from the brand.

Advise my employer to buy one and he is very happy.

Advised a friend to buy one and seems like 2020 Elite`s is very scarce. 

The 2020 models is priced right, great value for money.

From my limited knowledge the platform is well though out and sorted.

The Titan Racing website does not show the 2021 models but a online retailer does.

If am probably wrong, but my view is Titan has the 2021 range wrong.

To many versions, the Elite is up specced, but so has the price increased.

Afraid the value for money proposition is gone.

Don't agree, at least not as far as the range is concerned. On the Elite, sure maybe. But wait til other brands/spec/pricing start coming out properly. 

Overall they're still doing some good value specs and the alloy bikes are really well priced.

Don't agree, at least not as far as the range is concerned. On the Elite, sure maybe. But wait til other brands/spec/pricing start coming out properly. 

Overall they're still doing some good value specs and the alloy bikes are really well priced.

Not totally sure about the the range since Titan has not updated their website.

The range have grown to:

Ultimate

Team

Empire

Pro

Elite

Expert ?

Comp

Dash

Some versions differ R10K in price and you have to know a bit to see the differences in spec.

Take my friend, have never cycled in his life.

Did his own search and shown me three options.

Titan Cypher Elite was first option at R46k, when arrived at the shop R66k for 2021 version.

That is a lot of money for first time cyclist.

Other brands has launched their bikes an prices already, take Cannondale (not a Scalpel fan) but they have 3 - 4 bikes in the range on different price ranges, R75K, R110K, R150K and R200K.

The Scalpel 3 is down specced from prior years, but the price has stayed comparable. 

Titan has gone the opposite route.

Titan Team/Empire compares on price with Scalpel 2, guess which manufacturer is going to sell the most units...

Late 2021 or 2022 I may by able to buy a nice discounted Titan Racing.

PS. I am a fan of of Titan, if I had the money, Titan Racing Drone Elite with the new Lyne Carbon wheels.

Edited by DJuice

Not totally sure about the the range since Titan has not updated their website.

The range have grown to:

Ultimate

Team

Empire

Pro

Elite

Expert ?

Comp

Dash

Some versions differ R10K in price and you have to know a bit to see the differences in spec.

Take my friend, have never cycled in his life.

Did his own search and shown me three options.

Titan Cypher Elite was first option at R46k, when arrived at the shop R66k for 2021 version.

That is a lot of money for first time cyclist.

Other brands has launched their bikes an prices already, take Cannondale (not a Scalpel fan) but they have 3 - 4 bikes in the range on different price ranges, R75K, R110K, R150K and R200K.

The Scalpel 3 is down specced from prior years, but the price has stayed comparable. 

Titan has gone the opposite route.

Titan Team/Empire compares on price with Scalpel 2, guess which manufacturer is going to sell the most units...

Late 2021 or 2022 I may by able to buy a nice discounted Titan Racing.

PS. I am a fan of of Titan, if I had the money, Titan Racing Drone Elite with the new Lyne Carbon wheels.

But it is their top of the range bike?

You can't take the top of the range bike and say 'It's too expensive' while ignoring the fact that they have bikes from 10k to 66k with everything in between.

Their top of the range bike is almost definitely not aimed at a first time cyclist.

66k for what you are getting is still cheap as chips

But it is their top of the range bike?

You can't take the top of the range bike and say 'It's too expensive' while ignoring the fact that they have bikes from 10k to 66k with everything in between.

Their top of the range bike is almost definitely not aimed at a first time cyclist.

66k for what you are getting is still cheap as chips

Ultimate is now top of the range.

Just personal opinion that consumer looks at price if tou say R100k for Cannondale or Titan Racing, the Cannondale is going to get the bum on seat to test.

I’ve been in the bikeshops a few time, Cypher Pro at R65k gets looked over. The salesman really needs to convince consumer to look a second time at the Cypher, only then specs are compared.

Online shopping, shopping at price point.

Not totally the same, but take Momsen Vipa as an example, new Ultra was to expensive.

Really like Titan, if I win the lotto tonight, Cypher Team for me.

Ultimate is now top of the range.

Just personal opinion that consumer looks at price if tou say R100k for Cannondale or Titan Racing, the Cannondale is going to get the bum on seat to test.

I’ve been in the bikeshops a few time, Cypher Pro at R65k gets looked over. The salesman really needs to convince consumer to look a second time at the Cypher, only then specs are compared.

Online shopping, shopping at price point.

Not totally the same, but take Momsen Vipa as an example, new Ultra was to expensive.

Really like Titan, if I win the lotto tonight, Cypher Team for me.

I'm sorry, but if you are spending 60k plus on a bike and NOT comparing spec while relying on a floor salesman to sell you a fiets you either have way too much money or you kind of deserve a lemon.

The Vipa Ultra was never a good bike unfortunately. It was heavy, was released with dated Geo and was neither a race bike nor a trail bike.

The Titan Cypher and Cypher RS (same frame, different stroke length) are up to date, have 2 'in frame' bottle cages and it comes in at a good weight.

If you aren't doing your homework you are opening yourself up to go home with an overpriced meat pie 

I bought what might be the last 2020 Cypher Elite. I haven't been able to ride it yet but I'm super happy with what I received coming from a Spez. It ticked all the boxes for me (120mm with modern down country geometry, deluxe ultimate shock, XT 1x12 etc) for much much less than the competition. The quality and detail is first class.

I also dealt with the Titan guys a bit and the service has been first class. If I need a new road or gravel bike chances are 90% it will be a Titan.

The 2021 Cypher Comp for ~R50k is also a really solid bike and well specd by 2021 standards.

• 1 month later...

Couldn’t agree more with the value for money of the Titan Racing brand! Their top end trail bike coming it at R89k with SRAM AXS, Carbon Reynolds wheels - the works!

Would pay R160k for peers from different bike brands.

Titan truly are a smart choice.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so coming back to this, I have been riding one of these for a bit now.

Built up a Titan team  RS but took the spacer out of the Deluxe ultimate to extend the travel to 120mm - metric shocks and the design marry amazingly.

I built it up with a 120mm proper 35mm stanchion trail fork, a Cane Creek Helm air. Dropper, XT groupo, Shimano Zee 4 pots and threw on some Lyne Wheels with decent 2.4 tires front and rear.

All I can say is WOW! DownCountry is life. If you know, you know.

I'm throwing shapes off the jumps on the DH lines in Tokai without feeling under biked or on the edge while zipping up between runs. It is so planted, so composed and the geo is spot on for SA trails.

I am a convert. Seriously. I feel like the bike is as capable as my old Jeffsy but climbs and plays way better.

OK, so coming back to this, I have been riding one of these for a bit now.

Built up a Titan team RS but took the spacer out of the Deluxe ultimate to extend the travel to 120mm - metric shocks and the design marry amazingly.

I built it up with a 120mm proper 35mm stanchion trail fork, a Cane Creek Helm air. Dropper, XT groupo, Shimano Zee 4 pots and threw on some Lyne Wheels with decent 2.4 tires front and rear.

All I can say is WOW! DownCountry is life. If you know, you know.

I'm throwing shapes off the jumps on the DH lines in Tokai without feeling under biked or on the edge while zipping up between runs. It is so planted, so composed and the geo is spot on for SA trails.

I am a convert. Seriously. I feel like the bike is as capable as my old Jeffsy but climbs and plays way better.

And it is a beaut! Yours was the first I saw in person, the pics don't do it justice.

And... 2 water bottle cages. For me that is a huge deal. If I don't have to ride with a backpack I am very happy.

And it is a beaut! Yours was the first I saw in person, the pics don't do it justice.

And... 2 water bottle cages. For me that is a huge deal. If I don't have to ride with a backpack I am very happy.

Exactly!

Today I took a 750ml bottle with water and a tool box in the other cage, so I had a tube, a tire lever, multi tool, big bomb and adapter and a plug with nothing on me.

T-shirt flapping free......

I'm loving it. 

it's pretty for sure, i've only seen piktjas of his though. Maybe he should post it.

Yes....the obligatory Piktjas or it didn't happen Guy.

attachicon.gifCypher1.jpg

attachicon.gifcypher2.jpg

There she is... I do need to replace the bars with some stealth black carbon ones, but in time.

Bike looks great.  I do not think they make the Elite anymore ... replaced by Comp Carbon with a MARZOCCHI BOMBER Z2 shock.

I'd be weary of over forking the bike. 130mm will probably be fine but at 120/120 it feels so planted.

More is not always better. I was going to try the bike at 130 as the Helm can change from 120 to 160 in 10mm increments in 5 minutes, but having ridden it 120/120 I just can't see it being better.

A proper trail fork like a Pike at 120mm and you have a weapon.

Edited by Jewbacca