Where are all the Hardtail Trail bikes

Saadiq Jacobs

hahahahaha Then getting 5 sets dumped on my head while I get stuck in that swirly hole before I go back to the beach, walk back to the rip and start again. Good times!

But when you get it right, the rail grips, the fin grabs and holds and you get barreled off your face and come flying out while looking like you're hanging 5 it's all worth it!

smaller margins for error but massive grin factor rewards...... 

I cannot wait to take the ROS9 back to Jonkers and the new 5'2 Mini Simmons I shaped during lockdown to overhead dunes!

I remember having to take my Tommy Pieterson Fireball fish 5'8" out at Desert Point as I'd broken my proper Indo' boards in the swells before and no one was wiling to share their quivers. Man you had to think fast and I copped some brutal beatings and scored some rash. Picking off the right ones it was a real eye opener. Yeah, trying to get the first bottom turn nursed out before the lip came down or your water skate span off out from under your feet and across the flats was 'interesting' but it made you ride different, use different part of the wave, find speed, realise how far you can actually come back from etc. Kinda like a Hard tail to some degree... shakes up your riding, make you think about the terrain differently, what line you need. Bottom line, with both a small board on a large wave and a HT on a black run, I'm that little more glad with that I've ridden and to be drinking a beer at the end of a day in one piece and not having lost bark to reef or gravel. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember having to take my Tommy Pieterson Fireball fish 5'8" out at Desert Point as I'd broken my proper Indo' boards in the swells before and no one was wiling to share their quivers. Man you had to think fast and I copped some brutal beatings and scored some rash. Picking off the right ones it was a real eye opener. Yeah, trying to get the first bottom turn nursed out before the lip came down or your water skate span off out from under your feet and across the flats was 'interesting' but it made you ride different, use different part of the wave, find speed, realise how far you can actually come back from etc. Kinda like a Hard tail to some degree... shakes up your riding, make you think about the terrain differently, what line you need. Bottom line, with both a small board on a large wave and a HT on a black run, I'm that little more glad with that I've ridden and to be drinking a beer at the end of a day in one piece and not having lost bark to reef or gravel. 

I am not 100% certain what you just said above, but it sounds like you said hardtails are rock and roll ... if you said this I agree with you 100%

Yeah.. exactly that!

If you ever get a chance, check out what Torren Martyn is riding on his twinnies.........

I have 1 x 6'6" EPS blank left and I'm seriously thinking a 6'5 twin pin with channels and some split keels could be THE board for sizey Cape Town swell.

Although after the surfing layoff my skills are somewhat average, on both the bike and the board! Maybe I should concentrate on getting that up to speed before trying to recreate 'magic'

But when you get it right, the rail grips, the fin grabs and holds and you get barreled off your face and come flying out while looking like you're hanging 5 it's all worth it!

smaller margins for error but massive grin factor rewards......

I cannot wait to take the ROS9 back to Jonkers and the new 5'2 Mini Simmons I shaped during lockdown to overhead dunes!

I have no idea what a Fish us or where Dunes are, but I know how a feet-up two-wheeled drift feels on my hardtail, so we may be speaking about same amount of rad. Edited by PhilipV

I have no idea what a Fish us or where Dunes is, but I know how a feet-up two-wheeled drift feels on my hardtail, so we may be speaking about same amount of rad.

EXACTLY!

hmm, the tides have turned on this thread.. it's wave upon wave of hijack...

hahahaha that's what you get when you surf the net...

In other news, has anybody purchased that Silverback Slade yet?!

if you were a large framed rider, then that 15k full build is a bargain.

to build up that frame will take you over the 15k mark, using second hand parts?

VERY ROUGH pricing:

frame 5.5K

fork 5K (If you get a nice deal)

wheels 3.5K?

tyres 1.2K on decent / good deal pricing for new

dropper 2K used

Bars and stem R500 on sale at Lyne right now

second hand drive train 4K?

brakes 2K

grips R250

So roughly 23/24K to build up?

to build up that frame will take you over the 15k mark, using second hand parts?

VERY ROUGH pricing:

frame 5.5K

wheels 3.5K?

dropper 2K used

brakes 2K

grips R250

Or a new one:    https://bike-addict.co.za/products/silverback-slade-trail-2020

VERY ROUGH pricing:

frame 5.5K

wheels 3.5K?

dropper 2K used

brakes 2K

grips R250

That's the rub. I'm keen on that frame but the frame is the least of it. I did shoot the guys message and haven't heard back from him. If I was going to by a HT I'd like to get something special in steel or Ti and then just build everything across from my dual and run it exclusively for a bit but that frame would be a N+1 and that it's a full build. Hummm... have been hounding Cotic about when their BFEMax would be back in stock and that is going to be December. Ribble are out of stock on their 725 HT, missed the Kingdom sale, Stantons are getting pricey, Hello Daves are very long /slack and allegedly there is a new Cotic SolarisMax happening to soon. 

VERY ROUGH pricing:

frame 5.5K

wheels 3.5K?

dropper 2K used

brakes 2K

grips R250

Or like me you have most of that in your spare room and probably just need to buy a fork.......

But ja, building up a frame usually works out more expensive. It sucks but you land up with exactly what you want. I'm a tinkerer, out the box bikes annoy me

Or like me you have most of that in your spare room and probably just need to buy a fork.......

But ja, building up a frame usually works out more expensive. It sucks but you land up with exactly what you want. I'm a tinkerer, out the box bikes annoy me

I think you have a point.

By the time a person is looking at frames only, they either have experience in what they are wanting to achieve with the build, and cash to buy all the goodies, or have done this a couple of times, and have all/most of the goodies at home waiting to find a new bike to be built up onto.

To be fair, my last build started with a spare pair of grips, that then found a handlebar, then a frame, and and and and ..... you know the story from there.

I think you have a point.

By the time a person is looking at frames only, they either have experience in what they are wanting to achieve with the build, and cash to buy all the goodies, or have done this a couple of times, and have all/most of the goodies at home waiting to find a new bike to be built up onto.

To be fair, my last build started with a spare pair of grips, that then found a handlebar, then a frame, and and and and ..... you know the story from there.

Exactly.... I am trying to get rid of all spared because we all know a pair of hubs or tires HAS to turn into a full bike sooner or later

Exactly.... I am trying to get rid of all spared because we all know a pair of hubs or tires HAS to turn into a full bike sooner or later

See my fatal mistake was to decide to clear out the shed of all the extra bike parts as I might start hearing *those* voices in my head calling me to N+1... and now I'm still wanting a HT and don't have any bits. So frankly far worse off! Keep looking at the Mrs Fatbike and wondering how much I could macgyver / sell and how much she might notice if it suddenly morphed into to black 29'r HT.