Where are all the Hardtail Trail bikes

Saadiq Jacobs

I have a Giant XTC and I love it. Climbs like a mountain goat and is a good solid descender and a rock solid ride. Its getting on a bit, but when the time comes I'll stick to a carbon HT all the way!

PoPo just got real ... his first SS ride in Sedona

Edited by Hairy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PoPo just got real ... his first SS ride in Sedona

Really enjoyed that video .Had my SS serviced recently and that is what i am riding tomorrow.I can relate so much to what was said in the video.It is exactly that and more  

Really enjoyed that video .Had my SS serviced recently and that is what i am riding tomorrow.I can relate so much to what was said in the video.It is exactly that and more  

Had SS serviced....did you get them to completely overhaul the drive train and set the gear....must have cost you a fortune....like R75 or something :P

SS mtb’s are rock and roll!

Thanks guys for all the advice. Next question. Could someone help me with parts for a build. Sorry, forgot to mention. I havent ridden in more than 7 years. Seem like things have changed alot in my research.

Thanks guys for all the advice. Next question. Could someone help me with parts for a build. Sorry, forgot to mention. I havent ridden in more than 7 years. Seem like things have changed alot in my research.

You want a lekker frame. Silverback Slade is my pic.

You want a lekker fork. A stiff one, RS Pike, Manitou Mattoc, Fox 34/36 or similar.

You want strong wheels, and you want rims to be wide. 29+mm inner width is where id buy. Pay attention here during planning, as the wheels need to have the right freehub for whatever groupset you get.

Dropper seatpost is a must. Lyne gets my vote. While you are there get Lyne stem and handlebar, or take a look at Rapide components.

Get a 1x groupset. 11 or 12 spd in whatever your budget allows. I'd get Deore 12spd.

Get decent brakes. I'd get shimano zee or the new deore 4pots or 4pot Formula Curas.

Get your favourite saddle, grips, pedals and bell to round off the picture.

Remember: Een man se lelik is 'n ander man se vrou. Get what YOU want, it's your bike after all.

My build would be a mix of solid reliability and value. Hopefully in stealth black.

What is the feedback on the Momsen? It’s a great price and steel but sits with a 69 degree head angle. Personally I think 67odd is the sweet spot for trail bikes (obviously when looked at the bike as a whole).

I’ve had my eye on that Honzo for ages at trail tech but they aren’t budging on that price even when it was Black Friday.

I think that the Slade is a good package for R17k, offer R16k and it’s even better! It’s a really nicely spec’d build with the money spent in good areas and the rev’ fork is really good and often gets looked over as people clamber for the pike and the lyrik.

So many good frames about but you have to look. A lot of overseas ones won’t come here which is always a shame.

Personally I’m looking at the Ribble 725, Cotic Solaris or new BFE Max, the Stanton 29r, Bird and Chromag Rootdown. For me a trail / am frame should be steel, they just ride so much better.

Overall my money would be on that Momsen if you’re looking for a frame that is more trail / miles that focusing on the downs. Price is crazy good and those whole have them seem to be fanatically loyal to them.

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Hey People

Im looking to buy a Hardtail Trail Bike (If thats what they known as). I know of the Trek Roscoe 7 2020. Silverback slade comp and slade Trail. Im not so keen on the Trek for the plus size tyres. And the cheaper Silverback doesnt have great components for the price(R15000) and the Silverback Slade Comp is very expensive(R26000). Are there ant other options locally.

Thanks

i would say that you must buy the trek roscoe

and then put other wheels on it

the roscoe can fit 27.5 and 29 wheels

You want a lekker frame. Silverback Slade is my pic.

You want a lekker fork. A stiff one, RS Pike, Manitou Mattoc, Fox 34/36 or similar.

You want strong wheels, and you want rims to be wide. 29+mm inner width is where id buy. Pay attention here during planning, as the wheels need to have the right freehub for whatever groupset you get.

Dropper seatpost is a must. Lyne gets my vote. While you are there get Lyne stem and handlebar, or take a look at Rapide components.

Get a 1x groupset. 11 or 12 spd in whatever your budget allows. I'd get Deore 12spd.

Get decent brakes. I'd get shimano zee or the new deore 4pots or 4pot Formula Curas.

Get your favourite saddle, grips, pedals and bell to round off the picture.

Remember: Een man se lelik is 'n ander man se vrou. Get what YOU want, it's your bike after all.

My build would be a mix of solid reliability and value. Hopefully in stealth black.

Good advice here. The Slade is an awesome frame - I am really enjoying mine. It's as capable as you build it to be.

To add, your budget is probably going to dictate a Fox 34 or Pike, not a 36. I would even consider the RockShox Revelation with 35mm stanchions.

For wheels, my pick would also be Lyne - the AMP30. I'd actually go with their finishing kit all around - bar, stem, dropper post. Pair with Shimano Deore 12 speed. I'd go as far as considering the Deore 4 pot brakes as well, but if budget allows go for some Formula Cura brakes.

Tyres, saddle, grips, etc - pick your poison.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Hey guys. I'm gonna save what was said on this post because I an going to have to push out the build till another day. I found a good deal on a specialized stuntjumper. So I'm broken...haha. all good information here. Thanks guys

i would say that you must buy the trek roscoe

and then put other wheels on it

the roscoe can fit 27.5 and 29 wheels

Didn't the Roscoe come with a strange rear wheel standard?

I have a Niner Ros9... I run it SS with a 140mm Pike. It is one of the raddest bikes for getting rowdy.

Winter bike of note too.... 

I like my trail HT to give me the option of a dedicated SS for wet Cape mud and for general uncluttered fun.

It's pretty kitted out with CK hubs on Spank 345 rims, rct3 Debonair Pike, Zee 4 pots, Lyne 150mm dropper and other bits and bobs. 

I sold my Jeffsy and kept the ROS9... No, it's not as stable at speed or as fast but, despite Jeffsy being the most fun inspiring trail dually I've ever ridden, Sabrina the Niner is a different kind of fun that makes me more excited. 

Like surfing my 5'6 fish at heaving dunes. 

Okes don't seem to understand what a 'trail bike' is...

We are such a 'race or die' cycling culture! hahahaha

I saw a Slade was up for sale in the classifieds last night. Looks like it's 'in mint' condition... Practically brand new

Like surfing my 5'6 fish at heaving dunes. 

So you enjoy spinning out on every bottom turn and getting sucked over the falls backwards? Surely there are more enjoyable ways of getting your sinuses flushed?

Good analogy comparing a fish to a HT.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

So you enjoy spinning out on every bottom turn and getting sucked over the falls backwards? Surely there are more enjoyable ways of getting your sinuses flushed?

Good analogy comparing a fish to a HT.

hahahahaha Then getting 5 sets dumped on my head while I get stuck in that swirly hole before I go back to the beach, walk back to the rip and start again. Good times!

But when you get it right, the rail grips, the fin grabs and holds and you get barreled off your face and come flying out while looking like you're hanging 5 it's all worth it!

smaller margins for error but massive grin factor rewards...... 

I cannot wait to take the ROS9 back to Jonkers and the new 5'2 Mini Simmons I shaped during lockdown to overhead dunes!