Stolen: Cannondale Supersix EVO - High Mod 2017 (Cape Town)

Pure Savage

I think we should be stopping any re sale of stolen goods. Otherwise it creates the market.

that's a socio-economic question for the ages. Solve that, and you're writing your own cheques

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bike is like 16 years old - an Avalanche AX250, and it has spent the last 10 years in storage, because I got clipped by a car and was too scared ride again after that. I've only now taken it upon myself to start riding again....so I figured start off with a 2nd hand bike, but man, 60% of the deals on FB look dodgy AF. To the point where I'm wondering if buying 2nd hand is a good idea at all - even off the hub. 

I agree with you guys that the market needs to be shut down, but here's another perspective: Everyone has a cellphone - not because they can afford it, but because there's so many stolen ones floating around. My gardener and domestic worker, for example, have probably each been robbed of their cellphones at least 3 times this year, only to buy another shitty smartphone (with a cracked screen, most of the time). And smartphones are pretty indispensable - they need it. If all of these stolen bikes ended up actually being used to commute, I wouldn't mind so much. But where do these stolen bikes actually go? Who buys them? That end of the market needs to be squeezed as well. 

My bike is like 16 years old - an Avalanche AX250, and it has spent the last 10 years in storage, because I got clipped by a car and was too scared ride again after that. I've only now taken it upon myself to start riding again....so I figured start off with a 2nd hand bike, but man, 60% of the deals on FB look dodgy AF. To the point where I'm wondering if buying 2nd hand is a good idea at all - even off the hub.

I agree with you guys that the market needs to be shut down, but here's another perspective: Everyone has a cellphone - not because they can afford it, but because there's so many stolen ones floating around. My gardener and domestic worker, for example, have probably each been robbed of their cellphones at least 3 times this year, only to buy another shitty smartphone (with a cracked screen, most of the time). And smartphones are pretty indispensable - they need it. If all of these stolen bikes ended up actually being used to commute, I wouldn't mind so much. But where do these stolen bikes actually go? Who buys them? That end of the market needs to be squeezed as well.

Welcome to the Hub

It CAN be safe to buy a 2nd hand bike, here or on FB. Tell the seller you are concerned with the high number of stolen bikes, and ask if he mind sharing some form of ownership ... in fact, many bikes comes with transferable warrantee for which the original has to hand over various documents

And NO, it will never ever be "acceptable" that we get robbed at knife point, having our lives threatened ... so somebody gets to commute with our bike .... last week a rider got so badly beaten up while they robbed his bike that he ended in ICU ....

MANY of us have donated bikes, helmets, etc to commuters .... but dont endanger our lives to steal it.

Most of them to Milnerton CC apparently...

Yeah, I meant after that, obviously.  ^_^

Btw, I've sold stuff to that CC - not bikes other household stuff. They are pretty shitty. I've ended up at Edgemead, who give better prices. 

Welcome to the Hub

It CAN be safe to buy a 2nd hand bike, here or on FB. Tell the seller you are concerned with the high number of stolen bikes, and ask if he mind sharing some form of ownership ... in fact, many bikes comes with transferable warrantee for which the original has to hand over various documents

And NO, it will never ever be "acceptable" that we get robbed at knife point, having our lives threatened ... so somebody gets to commute with our bike .... last week a rider got so badly beaten up while they robbed his bike that he ended in ICU ....

MANY of us have donated bikes, helmets, etc to commuters .... but dont endanger our lives to steal it.

Yeah, i wasn't condoning robbery or theft. My previous bike was stolen, and I've been mugged or shaken down plenty of times. Its a South African reality. My point was merely that the market needs to shut down at the top end as well. From the lessons in these couple of threads over the last few days, its pretty clear that there's no interest in that from authorities or insurers. 

The other bike at Milnerton cash crusaders has been confiscated by the police. The lady whose bike it was went through the same uphill with CC to get the bike confiscated. Also went along with the police and had it removed. There are now 2 less stolen bikes for sale in Cape Town.

The Hub played a big roll in this as made the info available for us to get peoples details etc. Worth the yearly premium :)

The other bike at Milnerton cash crusaders has been confiscated by the police. The lady whose bike it was went through the same uphill with CC to get the bike confiscated. Also went along with the police and had it removed. There are now 2 less stolen bikes for sale in Cape Town.

The Hub played a big roll in this as made the info available for us to get peoples details etc. Worth the yearly premium :)

I just finally pulled the trigger on getting my Scalpel insured, even if I must insure it for double the amount I paid for it... 

All these stories are freaking me out....

I hope once the police confiscates it it's not too much of a mission to get it back from them ? Seems that with insurance everything is always so slow... a mate of mine was involved in an accident about 2/3 months ago and still hasn't been paid off since...

Edited by Jbr

I just finally pulled the trigger on getting my Scalpel insured, even if I must insure it for double the amount I paid for it... 

I hope once the police confiscates it it's not too much of a mission to get it back from them ? Seems that with insurance everything is always so slow... a mate of mine was involved in an accident about 2/3 months ago and still hasn't been paid off since...

The intial pay out would have been a lot faster had they not tried to tell me a Trek with 30mm rims was the same as a Cannondale with 45mm rims. After that they paid out quick.

Now I understand that I have to provide enough evidence to the police that the bike is infact "mine" Once they are happy that the item was mine, they will inform CC that the bike will not be returned and Insurance can go collect. (This time frame I have no idea of - I will find out in the next week)

what will happen to them at the cop shop though, my guess is that they will disappear. 

what will happen to them at the cop shop though, my guess is that they will disappear. 

No, from what I have heard from the insurance investigator is that make very well sure that they get their asset. 

Also, my detective was a lekker oke and I dont believe he would be involved in such behaviours, I have heard nothing but recommendations about him in our community as well. 

Nope, sounds like your budy has cr@p insurance ..... 

Another Hubber wrote off his bike in an accident a few weeks back.  Think he got paid out in one week - SANTAM.

After this my son is asking me how much to insure his Cannondales. His SuperSix roady is quite old and probably not worth it. His Scalpel Si is worth a bit more.

After this my son is asking me how much to insure his Cannondales. His SuperSix roady is quite old and probably not worth it. His Scalpel Si is worth a bit more.

Many of us are paying in the order of R 150 per month for a R50k bike, as part of insurance on home, car, etc.

The real trick is to make 110% sure of "current value" vs "replacement value", especially if the bike is no longer "stock standard", in which case you need a detailed quote from bike shop ....

best to do this via a broker, to make sure you are covered properly and correctly.

Insure both for replacement value. Don't try to make an old low tier bike into a high tier bike. Like for modern like and your buddy will be fine.

Research and understand the terms of your contract. I am sure others have said the same. 

You can insure you bike for whatever value, it is normally a specified item, so they will pay out what you have insured for. I may be wring but in all my cases (SANAM the guys that pay,...... and charge)

They have paid out the insured value in ZAR; Period. 

PS I also use a broker.