Stolen: Cannondale Supersix EVO - High Mod 2017 (Cape Town)

Pure Savage

We noted that it was never recorded. It would make it a lot easier. 

I am not sure HOW much proof you need. 

They going to get a photo album of my on the bike though :P

it amazes how brazen CC is when it comes to fencing stolen goods.

even in the face of insurmountable proof  of ownership they will try to wiggle out and enforce their right to fence the stolen property. This argument works when trying to recover a stolen hifi or TV or toaster but a high end raciing bicycle is a pretty personalised item. Especially when you have the pro name sticker on the toptube

Not really, the staff are the same and the item is just another item, your passion for the item is of no consequence (try telling that to the insurance whew trying to get a higher pay-out)

Why should there be a higher level of scrutiny for a bicycle (that is perceived to be worth 1o to 15k tops) than a set of tools worth the same perceived value?

Just because you are passionate and buy into the hype and pay over market value does not mean that it has a perceived value to joe public.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, the staff are the same and the item is just another item, your passion for the item is of no consequence (try telling that to the insurance whew trying to get a higher pay-out)

Why should there be a higher level of scrutiny for a bicycle (that is perceived to be worth 1o to 15k tops) than a set of tools worth the same perceived value?

Just because you are passionate and buy into the hype and pay over market value does not mean that it has a perceived value to joe public.

Because the store manager knew exactly how much the bike would sell for normally as he told the police it was worth around R35k but wanted a quick sale.(this is when he was arguing for it not to get confiscated)

It was the most expensive item in the shop by a long way. 

These shops are not as ignorant as people make them out to be.  

Because the store manager knew exactly how much the bike would sell for normally as he told the police it was worth around R35k but wanted a quick sale.(this is when he was arguing for it not to get confiscated)

correct, before they offer you anything for an item they need to know its market value, if they dont know the market value themselves they will have a contact that will give them the market value.

They dont just thumbsuck a price for an item

correct, before they offer you anything for an item they need to know its market value, if they dont know the market value themselves they will have a contact that will give them the market value.

They dont just thumbsuck a price for an item

Agreed, their business is also low margins, high turnover. So they know some of the stuff they just want to convert it to cash as quick as possible. 

Agreed, their business is also low margins, high turnover. So they know some of the stuff they just want to convert it to cash as quick as possible. 

especially if they suspect it might be stolen :D

Expensive bikes still, which means it is not commuters buying a lot of these stolen higher end bikes, it is people in our riding circles happy for a bargain at the expense of guys like you getting robbed.

Next time someone is gloating about a bargain bike on a group ride, watch their face when you ask them if they checked if it was stolen or not...

Edited by dave303e

Expensive bikes still, which means it is not commuters buying a lot of these stolen higher end bikes, it is people in our riding circles happy for a bargain at the expense of guys like you getting robbed.

Next time someone is gloating about a bargain bike on a group ride, watch their face when you ask them if they checked if it was stolen or not...

indeed, I often wonder how those bargain hunters sleep at night knowing that they've bought stolen property or someone else's misery as it would be.

Then there's those peeps who will buy the fenced stolen bikes, strip them down, move parts around between bikes and then sell them off as legit 2nd hand or used.

I'm depressing myself, time for another coffee shot

Brendon, I heard that you guys were attacked this morning and a bike taken.

If this is the case, I hope you are OK, and that no physical harm came to you.

Edited by Wannabe

I am starting to suspect that maybe this was a targeted attack. Why would they crash into the rider only to take the smashed bike? I suspect ulterior motives by the perps. Maybe friends of someone with a CC shop?

Heal up and don't let the bastards grind you down.

EDIT: I hope they find them, and then you can add a charge of attempted murder on them. Things could have gone south badly if they hit you wrong.

Edited by Moridin