Rook Scout Gravel bike

andyrtmorgan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the bike went together very easily. There is even a step for step instructional which was not needed but is easy to follow.

Pretty decent quality for the price. Mine does have a small scratch on a chainstay but it will see worse so no point in crying about it.

The brakes feel a bit spongy but again, for the spec, not bad.

All in all, without having ridden it yet, I am very impressed with the value for money on this machine.

The large is pretty small, if I drop the seat all the way it seems even my wife could comfortably ride this "large" I would say the 54cm is more medium than large........

Apologies for the pretty crappy pictures.

post-35569-0-97416600-1596179433_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-08576700-1596179446_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So just some feedback.

post-35569-0-64253100-1597239631_thumb.jpg

Rook definitely cannot be faulted on their service. I noticed one of the small stainless bolts that secure the sliding drop-outs was a bit mangled. I queried this and was assisted with advise on how to remove this and they sent me a package with the replacement bolt. Complimentary stickers also received.

I haven't been able to do much riding but if the bike holds up and performs as well as they service their customers, then I don't see any problems.

Already found some flared bars which I will get fitted some time.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

• 2 months later...

Is there space to add more gears? And will 29" skinny tires fit?

I am sure more gears could be added, there are dedicated GR groupsets (I think)

The 700C wheelset is basically 29er in dimensions, again I think.....

Mine is boxed up again for a pending move so cannot comment further.

• 2 months later...

I have one and love it, will write a full review but am really happy.

I change the crank for an old MTB one and a 30T at front and am happy in the mountains, flats I max out at 38km/h but thats all good.

Hello,

Any update on this? I bought my wife a cheapish Alpina road bike a couple years ago to see if she would take to riding. The time has now come for an upgrade and I have been looking at the Rook Scout for a while as makes the most sense in my head. Of all the rides she complained the most were the gravel rides we did so I figure this should do the trick without breaking the bank. 

My only concern would be the gearing. 

Is the 8 speed sufficient for climbing easily?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hello,

Any update on this? I bought my wife a cheapish Alpina road bike a couple years ago to see if she would take to riding. The time has now come for an upgrade and I have been looking at the Rook Scout for a while as makes the most sense in my head. Of all the rides she complained the most were the gravel rides we did so I figure this should do the trick without breaking the bank. 

Pretty sure the 8 speed is sufficient, whether the legs are is a different story.

On a serious note, you may choose to upgrade the groupset for a wider ratio at some point.

For the price it really is a solid bike!!

Hello,

on the upside the 8-sp arrangement should be almost maintenance free and bombproof (I'm reminded of my gardener who arrived to show me he had 'upgraded' his second hand 11s groupset to 9s for reliability :whistling:). 

The extra ratios will give you more intermediate options which are helpful if you are trying to hold on to a group (the issue is trying to keep up when +1 gear is too hard, but the one you are in is too slow). If you're riding alone you probably won't miss them. I'm assuming that the inner and outer ratios are basically the same as on a more closely spaced 11s groupset.

Hello,

The only thing you'll be missing is closer gaps between gears (which doesn't matter as much as on the road), the top and bottom end gearing will be the same as any other speed. The other thing you'll miss out on is the ridiculous prices of 11spd gear... 8 speed stuff is super cheap, available in wide range of ratio choices, and reliable as hell. Go for it, you won't be missing anything tangible.

Thanks for all the replies. The bike is a replacement for my wife's current Alpina with concrete filled tubing. By the sounds of it it should do the job and be a worthy upgrade. Will swing by Rook next time I am in town.

So, I have just completed 2 weeks on my Rook, I replaced the crank with a XT with a 30T and kept the rest the same. 

I got up Montagu Pass, 7 Passes road, I put on some Pirelli gravel 650b rough tyres on as was not going to take any risks after 2020. They worked real well and tubeless ready. 

I have a new handle bar and just bought bike bags for it, I just need the Lyne holy rail for it as well. 

The groupset is bombproof, the brakes need manual adjusting every 300km odd. It just makes some funny sounds now after not cleaning it for 4 weeks.

Thanks for all the replies. The bike is a replacement for my wife's current Alpina with concrete filled tubing. By the sounds of it it should do the job and be a worthy upgrade. Will swing by Rook next time I am in town.

They also do delivery :D

So, I have just completed 2 weeks on my Rook, I replaced the crank with a XT with a 30T and kept the rest the same. 

I got up Montagu Pass, 7 Passes road, I put on some Pirelli gravel 650b rough tyres on as was not going to take any risks after 2020. They worked real well and tubeless ready. 

I have a new handle bar and just bought bike bags for it, I just need the Lyne holy rail for it as well. 

The groupset is bombproof, the brakes need manual adjusting every 300km odd. It just makes some funny sounds now after not cleaning it for 4 weeks.

Did the bike come with WTB Byway 650 x 47?

If so, want to sell them if they are tubeless ready?

Did the bike come with WTB Byway 650 x 47?

If so, want to sell them if they are tubeless ready?

They did come with them, I dont think they are tubeless ready. 

I am going to hang onto them as will probably throw them back on for the green belts and use the Pirelli for MTB trails etc.

They also do delivery :D

Thanks, this is very reassuring.