Are bikes in CPT pricier than rest of SA

MajG

I sold my MTB to a guy in PE, I'm in CPT. Doubt my bike was more expensive than what he could've found elsewhere 

also I see in the eastern cape somebody selling a XT stages powermeter for 8k, I bought the same for 6300 new from CWC and sold it for 5000 after 300km when I sold the bike mentionned before. Once again, if you're looking for specific examples at specific times you can say about anything.

Bought last week a Scalpel 2019 XTR LTD for 60 in CPT, now there are 2 ads for 85 and 98 in Gauteng. Well the guy just moved from Joburg to CPT so not sure it counts... plus the fourk is ****** and the warranty voided so it might end up costing the same anyways  :thumbdown:

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RRP on bikes will be the same nationally.

Actual selling prices will vary and there will no data on this as shops won't disclose what the selling is due to competition acts concerns.

However it stands to reason that where overheads are lower, a shop has more capacity to discount from RRP to secure a sale. rental in Cape Town is just stupid so unless you own your building you've got one huge overhead right there.

Negotiate for with an online store in JHB vs CT you'll probably secure a better deal from JHB

From my own experience trading on Bike Hub i generally am quite used to shipping my bikes from JHB//George/Bloemfontein to CPT - of the 10 -12 bikehub sourced trades, at least 8 of them were not from CPT. I only have a couple left, but the others were all sold back into the CPT market at a profit on my original purchase price - i tend to have observed the same as the OP.

Its fair to note that certain brands i.e. Specialized, Giant do have a bigger demand, so tend to move quicker, and also seem to have more availability. Its also good to know model, drivetrain and wheel differences in arriving at value when making offers.

A completely different thread, but ive recently bought all my bikes through my bikeshop - im discovering that most of the big bike shops are happy to help their customers upgrade by assisting in 2nd hand sales, which in my opinion is where you really stand to gain: generally involves a warranty, bike is guaranteed to be in good working/service condition.

I think this is anecdotal evidence to support a preconceived fallacy (but could well be wrong).

it seems 80% of the classifieds in volume are evenly split between Wc and gauteng anyway, so it might as well be a direct comparison.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/industry-news/bike-hub-2019-year-in-review-r8028

bikehub HQ geeks could maybe extrapolate the data, but we've only got for sale prices here anyway - and you're going to battle to find an example of the same bike selling in 2 different locations either.

Thats some interesting stats, bikehub is a well used machine :thumbup:

This was my initial thinking, its hard to see 2 identical bikes in both regions at the same time.

However in a span of a month, i have seen the below for a Spez Rockhopper Comp 2018 & 2019 models

CPT - R9 500 Bikehub

CPT - R10 000 Gumtree

CPT - R9 000 Gumtree

CPT - R13 000 Spez store brand new

JHB - R6500 Bikehub

Bloem - R4500 FB Market

JHB - R3500 FB Second hand MTB group - This one not sure if was a scam though :ph34r:

Maybe its just for Spez bikes  :whistling:

I will start taking screen shotts for my own sake to do a comparison between CPT and rest of SA

RRP on bikes will be the same nationally.

Actual selling prices will vary and there will no data on this as shops won't disclose what the selling is due to competition acts concerns.

However it stands to reason that where overheads are lower, a shop has more capacity to discount from RRP to secure a sale. rental in Cape Town is just stupid so unless you own your building you've got one huge overhead right there.

Negotiate for with an online store in JHB vs CT you'll probably secure a better deal from JHB

The store prices do not differ much, its more the 2nd hand market where i see these price gaps

The store prices do not differ much, its more the 2nd hand market where i see these price gaps

When you say store prices I assume you refer to advertised prices.

I get bigger discounts or more negotiable pricing from JHB stores than CT stores i.e CT stores sell coser to or above RRP. (except those who create their own RRP....)

that why they're so light.

I thought they would be heavier in JHB with all the lead in them and the CT bikes would be lighter thanks to the rust holes in the frames.

When you say store prices I assume you refer to advertised prices.

I get bigger discounts or more negotiable pricing from JHB stores than CT stores i.e CT stores sell coser to or above RRP. (except those who create their own RRP....)

yes the advertised prices.

Check this below, just seen this . All Silverback Stride 29 sport

Cyclelab JHB

post-50002-0-91043700-1597239466_thumb.jpg

Sportsman warehouse - National

post-50002-0-63727900-1597239485_thumb.jpg

Gumtree -CPT

post-50002-0-88147000-1597239505_thumb.jpg

I'm going with supply and demand. Probably more buyers reside in CT and are not too excited about buying a bike they haven't seen personally, and then having to have it couriered and likely damaged in-transit, and then the post purchase fight that seems inevitable going by the Hub-fights about purchase failures.

All the above is likely to add a premium to an otherwise good offering.

None of the above can be verified and is a total thumb-suck. Still, that's what I would likely do as a Capetonian if I were in the market for a 2nd hand bike (I wish. I'm not even in the market for a box of smarties right now).

i think you're confusing issues here...

no i know these are 2 retailers and not part of my 2nd hand market topic.

It was just interesting to see 

My recent search for a second hand shock for my bike went from CT to PE to Gauteng. The last destination was the cheapest option by far. I think it was just lucky but people do say other stuff, not just houses, is more expensive in CT. like food for instance.

The cost of living in CT is way more expensive than up country.

Things like cheese. I spent some time in Natal a while ago and cheese is about 30-50% the price....

Cape Tonians have it rough. They earn less and have higher living costs. I often ask people who don't surf/beach or use the mountain why they live in Cape Town.

Personally I find the classifieds in general over priced these days. I have seen brakes, frames and other bits selling for the the same price as guys paid 4 or 5 years ago new. I call it 2015 goods at 2020 prices.

Maybe kaapies over value their kit because they all want to buy cheese.......

Edited by Jewbacca