Impey to ISN

JJ

The actual manufacturing cost of an item is but a fraction of the Retail price. Makes sense for a factory sponsored team to have an option of "at-cost" price.

Case-in-point:

A well known Access Automation Company 4 button remote is sold in builders warehouse for about R370. Taking man-hours, electricity, raw material and everything into account including packaging: the manufacturing cost comes to less than R30 a unit.

It is the way of mass-production and retail. You need allot of "fat" in the line to sustain every hand in between the factory and the customer.

Keeping it off topic

Funny you mention this as just yesterday I asked for another remote(that common blue one) for one of my rentals. This is the 2 button version and the estate manger told me it is R225. So I thought it sounded a bit rough but what can I do. On the way home from work I went to my local locksmith for some keys and they had the same remotes. R225 for the 2 button. R250 for a 3 button and R280 for a 4 button.

So at least I know the complex is not ripping me off.

But for builders to be so much more than my small owner run locksmith is crazy as well.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But for builders to be so much more than my small owner run locksmith is crazy as well.

The assumption is large group = better pricing. But that doesn't seem to be true.

But my other half and I bought running shoes recently. and both pairs were cheaper from The Sweat Shop which is a dedicated running store vs Sportsmans Warehouse and their non existent service levels.

Ok back on topic.

I wonder if the "Win on Sunday Sell on Monday" moniker is true for bike racing.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

The assumption is large group = better pricing. But that doesn't seem to be true.

But my other half and I bought running shoes recently. and both pairs were cheaper from The Sweat Shop which is a dedicated running store vs Sportsmans Warehouse and their non existent service levels.

Ok back on topic.

I wonder if the "Win on Sunday Sell on Monday" moniker is true for bike racing.

win on Sunday sell on lay-away is a more modern take on it

i wonder if Daryl realises that he doesn't have a  dedicated thread on the bikehub, and this one is mainly about remote controls being a monopolistic scam!

For perspective from some of the guys that ride with Impey, have a listen to this Podcast - The Social Distance done by Dan Jones, Sam Bewley & George Bennett
Impey's move is discussed from about 22:30mins in:

wow, that was enjoyable!!...Bewley's prognosis - he's a f@#$#% legend!

the gap between recording a zoom kakpraat call and a "podcast" is becoming smaller!

"Israel Startup Nation" abit odd name for a cycling team #justsaying

Not really.

Israel is now the world's leading innovation country with the highest number of startups in the world.

When you have the time, go look at what some of the well known teams sponsors actually are and do.

I mean just Amore & Vita is far stranger. (Can't believe I still have team kit in my cupboard)

Edited by TNT1

Not really.

Ok

When you have the time, go look at what some of the well known teams sponsors actually are and do.

I see they, ISN, signed Mike Woods for 2021.

That is a great signing and getting him away from EF. Vaughters must be livid. He's been developing Woods from way back. Really like Rusty, his interviews and features on podcasts are always great value and he looks like he's been hovering on a big result for a while. That team is starting to shape very nicely. 

Didn't realise that Adams, Woods and Paulo had such a long history as well: 

"Paulo and Sylvan are the reason that I am a pro cyclist today," said Woods. "I first met Paulo in 2013, and he immediately took me under his wing. He pushed me to quit my jobs (working as a bank teller and at a bike shop), and he told me I had the ability to be a pro.

"Because of my age [27 at the time], I was too old to qualify for government grants or get a place on a development team. It was difficult for me to justify leaving my job. However, Paulo connected me with Sylvan, and the two of them invested in me when nobody else would.  Through their support and belief, I managed to rise through the cycling ranks and make it to the highest level of the sport."
Edited by Dirt Tracker

• 6 months later...