Cleaning your drivetrain

Warrenlee

Nee blik emmer. Who the poodle has time to wash a bike? As in, take apart this and that. Degrease this, soap that, rinse this. Put together, test this, tweak that. Five hours later and all the grease is on your hands and not the bike.

Here is how you wash your "drive train".

Step1:

Take bike to bike shop - 5 min.

Step 2:

Pop by bottle store for a few cold ones 10 min

Step 3(a):

Collect bike after work, sharing the cold ones with the guys and gals at thye LBS - (very likely ALOT longer than 5 min)

Step 3(b):

Pay bikeshop about R150 for wash drive chain(including the rest of the bike) and making a few recommendations on possible future issues.

Step 4:

The final step, ride more on the weekend.

Total time, anything from 20min - 1 or 2 hours.

Weekends were made for things like being on your bike rather than than washing your bike.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressure washer… It depends upon how you use it. If you use it like an idiot, you can force the water behind seals. If you use it with a moderate degree of intelligence, you shouldn't have a problem.

Weekends were made for things like being on your bike rather than than washing your bike.

thats why you wash on a Monday or Friday, well thats what I do.

I like a clean bike for the weekend.

Nee blik emmer. Who the poodle has time to wash a bike? As in, take apart this and that. Degrease this, soap that, rinse this. Put together, test this, tweak that. Five hours later and all the grease is on your hands and not the bike.

Here is how you wash your "drive train".

Step1:

Take bike to bike shop - 5 min.

Step 2:

Pop by bottle store for a few cold ones 10 min

Step 3(a):

Collect bike after work, sharing the cold ones with the guys and gals at thye LBS - (very likely ALOT longer than 5 min)

Step 3(b):

Pay bikeshop about R150 for wash drive chain(including the rest of the bike) and making a few recommendations on possible future issues.

Step 4:

The final step, ride more on the weekend.

Total time, anything from 20min - 1 or 2 hours.

It is my therapy .... (no pressure washer ..) :)

Listen to the Champ. WTH has time or patience to rotate chains, or remove them and boil them in greece?

I have never boiled mine in greece or even italy for that matter......and I have had a lot of bikes and a lot of chains

Why?

You get water into your bearings - toast. The seals on bearings are not waterproof seal but dust seal that would also keep out mud but not water at pressure. I may use a hose pipe but not with my finger restricting the end. That GCN video was just poorly done and proves nothing. Bottom bracket is more than likely the safest to do especially when newly packed with grease.

Edited by porqui

So... a pressure washer should not be anywhere near a bike unless you have one then you should clean your bike with it.

Pressure washer and bicycle do not belong in the same sentence ever.

At the Bike Shops they Remove the components from the Frame and clean everything by hand.