Saddlebag Alternatives

slickjay007

I recently bought two tyre kits for each of my bikes. It just holds a spare tyre, tyre levers and has space for one CO2 bomb in it.  It is very small and straps in under your saddle.  As I said each bike has one now.  Then I have a palm size tool bag that fits into my back pocket containing 2 CO2 bombs, self adhesive patches, multi tool, mask (Since covid if I need to stop at a shop and buy something), silicon gloves.  Also I have an adapter for the valve that I can pump the tyres at a garage.

I have never had an issue with the self adhesive patches.  Just make sure you give the tube a good scrub with the piece of sandpaper you get with the patch kit and apply pressure on the patch when applying it.  I have been using it for years.  I also have to add that I hardly ever get a puncture since I came to Germany.  In SA punctures was a common thing but I think I have had maybe 3 in five years.

Each time I read that, I cant help but think....

7357.gif

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you just rode in the gutter a lot.

I haven't had that many punctures in the last 5 years.

I think in races I had one ever (Not mentioning my Panorama tour.  There I had 5 on one day but that is a story for another day).  Commutes to work is where I got my punctures.  Also when the tyres were reaching end of life is when punctures started to a frequent thing.

I forget that you lot in JHB have very little to look forward to ... we also have the sea and mountains here in CT by the way :P

What a coincedence.  You oaks in the Cape have wonderful view so you have something keep your eyes occupied while fixing the punctures.  The Gauteng dudes got nothing to see therefor less punctures  :whistling:

Could you please let us know what brand of "fly paper" you are using and equally important, how you apply it. I have not had much success with the stuff but think that I may not be using it in the correct manner all that I bought a poor quality product.

That said, a Park Tool puncture repair kit is very small, goes very easily into a pocket and you can fix quite a few punctures with its along the way – if we are talking about tubes. Tubeless is another story.

TOPEAK FLYPAPER GLUELESS PATCH KIT

What a coincedence.  You oaks in the Cape have wonderful view so you have something keep your eyes occupied while fixing the punctures.  The Gauteng dudes got nothing to see therefor less punctures  :whistling:

But we have to fix those puncture really quickly to avoid being mugged

Cycle lanes? WTF are those? In Gauteng we ride on the road...

Cycle lanes? WTF are those? In Gauteng, we ride on the road...

edit

We ride everywhere...........road, taxi lane, pavement, bush, wrong side right side, ria via lane, High way, by-way on on the odd occasion the cradle loop......

But we have to fix those puncture really quickly to avoid being mugged

If you commuted on your HT4L then those thorns would just add more knobblies.

If you commuted on your HT4L then those thorns would just add more knobblies.

I now have a HT to commute on, but our office has not been open since lock down (working from home, half week) ... so nowhere to commute to.

I forget that you lot in JHB have very little to look forward to ... we also have the sea and mountains here in CT by the way :P

You forget stars to guide our way and the three wise men

You forget stars to guide our way and the three wise men

Wise men .... in Cape Town .... when did that happen? During the holidays maybe .. aka tourists?  :ph34r:  :whistling:

How does carrying CO2 make you a snob?

It's not what you do that makes you a snob, it's how you behave whilst doing it.