Thinking about an eBike purchase

aquaratza

is this the empathetic e-bike thread? 'Where do I post about the 4 Bishops tjops on e-bikes who came whizzing past up the jeep track in Tokai only to be caught long before the end of Vasbyt by a toppie on a XC bike. Then pull up in the middle of the S-track, turn around and go back up the S-track again

Probably  the same place I would post about the XC non ebike guy who threw his energy bar wrapper on the  ground during a ride in the cradle .... 

There are chops in all disciplines. 

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got my wife on an ebike and we are both delighted with how this is working out. She is on a road bike version (i.e. gravel/tarmac)

- she doesn't feel like she's holding me up when we ride together. and conversation is now possible.

- she rides for longer - 3h ride at 28-30kph is hard work but not too uncomfortable

- she maintains a higher heart rate/suffer score, because she's enjoying it

- feels safer because she's got more power to draw on when she needs it

- (so far) hasn't had any negative comments or criticism - which was a bit of a worry.

It took me a while to get my head around the nature of the beast and the cost of it, but very glad we have taken this step.

The point is you dont know the reason for them having an e-bike yet feel the urge to make comments about it. 

Yes that could be correct... the ones did post the question appeared normal ... walk around at the coffee truck and seem physically normal... I have also seen really old people on E-bikes and I fully agree that it is a good option for them to ride ... but I will keep asking the question from the younger ones... ?

Yes that could be correct... the ones did post the question appeared normal ... walk around at the coffee truck and seem physically normal... I have also seen really old people on E-bikes and I fully agree that it is a good option for them to ride ... but I will keep asking the question from the younger ones... ?

You are a bit arrogant but I like that[emoji3][emoji6]

Probably  the same place I would post about the XC non ebike guy who threw his energy bar wrapper on the  ground during a ride in the cradle .... 

There are chops in all disciplines. 

but did he go to Bishops.....?

im 64 but look younger

walk past me you wont see the scars on my chest where i had open heart surgery 6 years ago

but according to you based on looking normal and acting normal i should i not ride an e bike

people who have had major surgery and who can still lead full lives dont lie in bed looking sickly like they did 50 years ago

we are out and about

cycling walking hiking

but perhaps due to surgery we have limitations

Medical science has evolved mate wake up its 2021

You don't have to be handicapped to own, ride and enjoy an ebike. I am in my 30s and I can outride all of my main cycling friends on the uphills on my manual Stumpjumper, but when I jump on my ebike and ride with another ebike it's a whole different sport. I work just as hard, if not harder and suddenly I have different challenges to deal with, especially around power management, upper body strength and routing.

When you ride with another ebike power management becomes key - if you don't think about it you'll run out and be sad.

It's a different sport and it's awesome, but out of respect, practicality and calibration I still ride my Stumpy regularly. I am always polite and I always greet others.

Edited by aquaratza

... but I will keep asking the question from the younger ones... ?

some advice for you - know when to 'wind your neck in'....just let it go, take a chill pill, and let riders - young and old alike - do what they choose to do;

for I think if you GET the answer(s) from younger riders, you will still not be satisfied...and we will have an endless debate.

Cheers, happy riding - both bikers a-n-d e-bikers!

Chris

I own an e-bike and love it.

I came to MTB late (at 56) and if I had started with a "normal" bike my progression would have been much slower, I would have ridden less and may well have chucked in the towel, as when one starts later in life, it is bloody hard work (getting to the top to enjoy the fun bits). Instead, I am getting out there, riding far more trails than I would have, learining a lot quicker (because of the distances and varied terrain I can cover) and I am loving the new challenge.

Fitness and skills are improving to the point where I am now considering getting a "normal" bike. 

I am curteous, acknowledge fully that I have an advantage on the uphills over guys on "normal" bikes, that has nothing to do with my abilities (or lack thereof) and have total respect for what the guys on the "normal" bikes are able to do. 

What would be nice is if, like most Hubbers, people would just respect that some choose a different route to get out there and enjoy the trails. It doesn't make us arseholes and quite frankly, it is getting quite tiring smilling and waving when one has to endure the snide comments from those who think they have a right to be derogatory to others choices. 

Yes, there are some on ebikes that behave like dicks (they have pissed me off too), but that isn't due to the ebike. They are generally just dicks.   

I have a confession.... I am 42 and I have a e-bike .... not because I need one.... but because I want one... and I absolutely love it and don't care what anyone says. 

I am not obese, and I don't have any kind of medical reason to need one. 

Judge all you want. 

I also deeply questioned the need for e-bikes, especially for the "younger ones", until I went to an Enduro event in the French Alps two years ago. They had two versions, 100km of downhill for normal bikes (through a series of stages from the top of one lift station to the bottom of the next one) and an 250km ebike version.

To my surprise, most of the youngsters were doing the ebike version. It not only covered what we were doing, but they got into new valleys away from lifts, that you can't get to in a day on a standard XC or enduro bike.

When I was chatting about it with one of the young Frenchies he said to me "no, but this is also a proper bike, not a little bike with skinny tires", which I think most people ignore in the ebike debate.

Yes, you can do more than double the distance. Instead of 2-3 downhills in 2 hours in Jonkershoek or Tokai, you can now do 6-7 laps in the same amount of time. BUT, when you do do the downhill or rad single track, you are not on a 120mm XC bike with 2.2/2.3 XC tires, you are on a 160mm Enduro bike with 2.4 Minions, which you can seriously charge on. 

Stating that ebikes are for old people is like assuming that motorcross bikes should only be for people who are too old to pedal BMXs. One is completely missing the essence of the bike and what it is capable of.

Edited by Baracuda

I think situations like this are where one really sees the advantage of an e-bike for certain people.

To rub some serious salt in raw wounds .....  :whistling:

I have a buddy that is considering buying an e-bike .... to keep up with his wife, on her normal bike .... I KNOW that with my ebike on full boost I will run out of BOTH batteries long before she runs out of steam !!

we are such a silly bunch with our pre-conceived ideas .....  :oops:   :devil:

To rub some serious salt in raw wounds .....  :whistling:

I have a buddy that is considering buying an e-bike .... to keep up with his wife, on her normal bike .... I KNOW that with my ebike on full boost I will run out of BOTH batteries long before she runs out of steam !!

we are such a silly bunch with our pre-conceived ideas .....  :oops:   :devil:

I feel so old school. I bought an e-bike for my significant other who has been cycling for 20 years less than I have.

I feel so old school. I bought an e-bike for my significant other who has been cycling for 20 years less than I have.

Hiehie .... JIP, the stereotype certainly is to get the lady a bike to her keep up.

but there are some damn good lady riders out there  :thumbup:

maar nou wragtag ook nie nodig dat die goed vir my kom "More oom" as hulle by my verby ry teen die bulte op nie ....  :whistling:   :devil:   Nee kyk, Jackie se gat, sy chirps kan ek nog vat .... maar wanneer daai daai beeldskone mooi dingetjie vir  my "more oom" terwyl sy voort snel .... 

im 64 but look younger

walk past me you wont see the scars on my chest where i had open heart surgery 6 years ago

but according to you based on looking normal and acting normal i should i not ride an e bike

people who have had major surgery and who can still lead full lives dont lie in bed looking sickly like they did 50 years ago

we are out and about

cycling walking hiking

but perhaps due to surgery we have limitations

Medical science has evolved mate wake up its 2021

I am happy that you are out and about and cycling... enjoy riding your E-bike.... be safe!