Thinking about an eBike purchase

aquaratza

There is a difference between storing and cycling (excuse the pun) the batteries. As far as I am aware there is no harm charging to 100% and then using the battery down to 20% over a few days and then charging back up to 100% (cycling the battery). That is what they are made for.

Storing for long(er) periods of time may benefit from a different approach (ie at 70% charge).

Jip.

The Giant charger has a maintenance mode if you intend storing the batteries for "longer periods".

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I would prefer to be 100% fit and be riding my Stumpy, I have come to accept that I am not 100%, and probably never will be again, so I am left with an e bike which is not a bad second prize at all. At least I am still riding :)

Well done making a comeback after that, and you are at least 100% mentally better off riding that e-bike vs not riding at all!

Enjoy and many more happy miles.

BTW .. the Tchjop analogy is spot on ;)

Will be interesting to see if more motorbike brands start stepping up into the e-bike world.

Will be interesting to see if more motorbike brands start stepping up into the e-bike world.

https://youtu.be/JDqop8Mpib8

Yamaha have been supplying the motor for Giant ebike for many years.

Few years back Yamaha released their own ebike.

Haibike is a popular European brand. They recently switched to using the Yamaha motor.

Your post is very insightful. Like any tool, ebikes have their place. If I'm riding with friends who aren't on ebikes, out of respect, empathy and impatience haha I ride my normal bike. The ski-lift use is certainly an obvious use case in my mind.

Good deals on ebikes come up occasionally in the used section of Bikehub. Several Specialized ebikes in the 2017 vintage, alloy, have sold over the last few months for between R 42k and R 48k.

Transmission Wear:

There seems to be some debate about how heavy ebikes are on transmission wear. The drivetrain will have to conduct a consistently larger amount of power through it compared to a normal bike, so one can expect additional wear from that but like any bike it heavily depends on how hard you ride the bike and how you change gears.

Most ebikes in the Specialized range still come with 11-speed cassettes and the components in the drivetrain that will see additional wear are relatively cheap. A replacement cassette for my bike from Evobikes (11-speed X01 compatible) is about R 2500, which really isn't crazy. I haven't sorely missed a 12th gear (which I have on my normal bike).

Motor Longevity and Servicing:

In terms of motor longevity and maintenance, I've done some research (I like to know how my machines work and where the failure risks are). The Brose motor in my Specialized ebike seems to be at low risk of water ingress through a large gasket that runs the perimeter of the motor and gearbox case. The case sits "upright" in the frame, so if water gets in it always drains to bottom bracket side of the gearbox (as opposed to flooding the top part where the motor sits). There's a great video online from Performance Line Bearings where they disassemble and demonstrate the replacement of the bearings/sprag clutch and gasket on a motor damaged in that way. This should be at a low risk of occurring and if it does their overhaul kit is around R 3900 sans shipping and customs. The Brose motors have a rated life on the belt of 15000 km, which is easy enough to replace and costs around R 2000 with some extra bits.

I suspect, as time goes on, more and more bicycle shops will up-skill themselves to be able to do motor overhauls (and/or replacements). In Cape Town it appears we have at least one person that can do overhauls (Knipe Racing apparently).

The battery is the other major wear component. In the case of Specialized ebikes the battery packs consist of 18650 cells, which can be repacked locally (there's a shop in Milnerton that can do it). Specialized, AFAIK, still sells the older battery packs. One can make the packs last longer by not draining the batteries entirely, avoiding TURBO all the time and leaving the battery between 30% and 80% charged when not in use.

I think future servicing and sustainability isn't hugely removed from a normal bike and will become easier over time. This isn't a promo for Spez, it's just what I'm familiar with.

A cassette costing R2500 is considered good value?

I think there's a good reason most ebikes are specced with the less sexy drive trains. Cost.

One thing I am that I am hoping we do see more of is a range of hard wearing e-bike drivetrain components .... so that us who still pedal without assist can get some real mileage out of our kit :P

• 1 month later...

I recently discovered an old friend had moved into my area. He's always been an avid cyclist, so we've been getting together for some awesome rides around Durbanville.

He has both a *normal* bike and a very high-spec Specialized eBike.

When he's on a *normal* bike the ride is long and decent and comfortable for me... but when he's on his eBike, even with it on the eco mode, it's a hard workout. 

This isn't bad, in fact it's great, but I'm not always capable of doing that kind of ride and part of me thinks that perhaps it's time for an eBike. I don't expect him to ride his normal bike (if you've got it, flaunt it) and I feel like the time is coming where if I want to ride with people I may need to have the option of an eBike. There's no way I'd be able to keep up with an eBike if the rider went for it.

My multiple personalities don't all agree that an eBike is a good idea, but that's a whole story on its own.

In the Specialized range, a reasonable crossover of price/value seems to be the non-SL aluminium Turbo Levo. They've got 500Wh batteries, which seems substantial, especially if combined with an addon water-bottle battery, something *like* this one from the classifieds: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-mountain-e-bikes/419663/2020-specialized-turbo-levo

The one above is bleh though because it is fitted with a SRAM NX 11 speed (!?) cassette, which seems crazy.

So the question is:

- If I currently ride a carbon fibre dual-suspension normal bike (around 13kg in weight, I'm around 89 kg = 103 kg all up) and can produce 250w comfortably and continuously, would a Specialized Alu eBike (non-SL) level the field when riding with other eBikes? A 250w eBike at maximum output, plus 250w from me is 500w over two hours, which is decent, but that's going into extra weight: Alu non-SL is ~21kg, so all up weight of 110kg aka extra 100% power at an extra 10% of the weight.

And then there's also the question of second-hand vs new; one seems to save around R 20k on the latest bikes if you go second-hand. But I think this kills the warranty? 

I suppose this is about accessibility and leveling the playing field.

Thanks!

You look WAY TOO YOUNG for an E-Bike!!!!  I am 65 and get a kick out of chasing down younger (looking) riders on E-Bikes... Love their reaction when I get next to them and ask them:  "How is your battery?".... I have had a wide range of responses... including being sworn at!  I can't help asking myself what is the point ??? 

The point is you dont know the reason for them having an e-bike yet feel the urge to make comments about it. 

You look WAY TOO YOUNG for an E-Bike!!!!  I am 65 and get a kick out of chasing down younger (looking) riders on E-Bikes... Love their reaction when I get next to them and ask them:  "How is your battery?".... I have had a wide range of responses... including being sworn at!  I can't help asking myself what is the point ??? 

The point is you dont know the reason for them having an e-bike yet feel the urge to make comments about it. 

No stresssssss .....

e-bikers deal with the Jackies of the world on most rides .... Had one of those during each of my rides this long weekend ....  "smile and wave" ....  :whistling:   

The irony being the chap that chirped me on Sunday left his wife way behind on the hills.  I was the one that kept position at the back of the pack, informing the two ladies when a string of cars would be catching us ...

Bike shops really should warn ebike buyers they need to grow a THICK skin very quickly .....  :P

Want a e-bike then buy this.

TREK E-Caliber

This bike is way more capable than the specs on paper look.

Gives you enough power to help on the climbs but it won’t make you insanely fast.

Nice and light to ride without the motor power.

793a75cfbe699221884a9389e7d208d7.jpg

Edited by gummibear

Want a e-bike then buy this.

TREK E-Caliber

This bike is way more capable than the specs on paper look.

Gives you enough power to help on the climbs but it won’t make you insanely fast.

Nice and light to ride without the motor power.

Surely you jest?

Didn't you mean to say Cannondale Habit Neo 1?

wow

without knowing the reasons the person is on an e-bike you take a holier than thou stance

i wont use the term judgmental

The King Joffrey of Fourways ... 

No stresssssss .....

e-bikers deal with the Jackies of the world on most rides .... Had one of those during each of my rides this long weekend ....  "smile and wave" ....  :whistling:   

The irony being the chap that chirped me on Sunday left his wife way behind on the hills.  I was the one that kept position at the back of the pack, informing the two ladies when a string of cars would be catching us ...

Bike shops really should warn ebike buyers they need to grow a THICK skin very quickly .....  :P

How many of those "Jackies" can say they have completed an Iron Man ?  you a legend dude... they know nothing. 

is this the empathetic e-bike thread? 'Where do I post about the 4 Bishops tjops on e-bikes who came whizzing past up the jeep track in Tokai only to be caught long before the end of Vasbyt by a toppie on a XC bike. Then pull up in the middle of the S-track, turn around and go back up the S-track again