iPhone 12 release

Cois

Vodacom does have an operation 5G mobile network (was actually live before MTN) and supports a number of 5G handsets already, Samsung, etc. So, if they tell you they support 5G handsets, that is 100% correct.

HOWEVER, Apple have not yet enabled iPhone 12 devices for Vodacom's network. This is a function of Apple, not Vodacom. When Apple push the new configs down to the phones, they'll automatically start working.

Apple and Vodacom need to agree the terms, dates etc, but it will be up to Vodacom to share that info and it is ultimately up to Vodacom to deal honestly with their customers

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apple and Vodacom need to agree the terms, dates etc, but it will be up to Vodacom to share that info and it is ultimately up to Vodacom to deal honestly with their customers

Vodacom customer service is a very separate, but valid, conversation to saying that Apple is not involved here.

I can understand your defense of Apple, but it Apple and MTN are bed together about this, we cannot blame "Vodascums crappy network" for it not being enabled. 

Vodacom customer service is a very separate, but valid, conversation to saying that Apple is not involved here.

I can understand your defense of Apple, but it Apple and MTN are bed together about this, we cannot blame "Vodascums crappy network" for it not being enabled.

True, but we also cannot blame Apple for the fact that Vodacom are saying to Cois that he should be able to access 5G now.

True, but we also cannot blame Apple for the fact that Vodacom are saying to Cois that he should be able to access 5G now.

I don’t think anybody is blaming Apple for anything. Stating that they have an exclusivity agreement with MTN is not an attack on either of those. It’s just a statement of fact.

I agree Vodacom’s customers support need to be educated on 5G availability on Apple devices.

So, after trying every day since mid december, Cell C finally have limited stock of the iphone mini, but only in white.

I'm so desperate I'll take a white one.

but.............. now there is some or other issue with my account that needs to be reversed. This will take 2 working days and they cannot hold stock for me.

Can’t say it has.

I think this is where many will be disappointed. The data transfer speeds we have with 4G will suffice for the tech/media we currently consume on our personal mobile devices.

It will take a while for B2C tech to catch up to the speed benefits. With data becoming the new oil, there are many more imminent B2B benefits though.

I think this is where many will be disappointed. The data transfer speeds we have with 4G will suffice for the tech/media we currently consume on our personal mobile devices.

It will take a while for B2C tech to catch up to the speed benefits. With data becoming the new oil, there are many more imminent B2B benefits though.

Yip, not to mention you will blow through your costly monthly data allowance in no time on 5G speed.  SA rates on cellular data simply have to come down.

Edited by TheoG

Yup, its always the case with new data transmission standards. The data allowances and services they are used to consume dont take advantage of the speed.

The only benefit to the extra speed for now will be in terms of stability. I expect it will help a lot with rollout of fast broadband services to the home in future, not having to lay cables will increase deployment speed substantially.

Yup, its always the case with new data transmission standards. The data allowances and services they are used to consume dont take advantage of the speed.

The only benefit to the extra speed for now will be in terms of stability. I expect it will help a lot with rollout of fast broadband services to the home in future, not having to lay cables will increase deployment speed substantially.

think that was the premise Rain took. Quick and wireless, use what infrastructure there is.

Just sad that their bandwidth and client services could not keep up with growth.

think that was the premise Rain took. Quick and wireless, use what infrastructure there is.

Just sad that their bandwidth and client services could not keep up with growth.

Rain were always a little dubious with what they were trying to achieve.

I dont know of a single customer that has been happy with their services, most people found it to be reliable in the early days but now its a complete waste of time.

I had to pull some string with people who know people.

My iPhone 12 Mini in black arrived today.

Only thing is I cant set it up. It wants to do a software update, but I dont have wifi at the office. Tried connecting to the old phone as a hotspot but it doesnt seem to like it.

Oh well, will have to wait until I get home.

First impressions, 

It looks and feel very much like my Iphone 5 with the square edges etc.

Its physically smaller than my 6s, but the screen is larger.

I'm yet to decide if I want to put it in a cover or not. The 5 was not in a cover and was ok, the 6s was in an ultra thin silicone cover, but every time I took it out of the cover to clean it just felt oh so lovely (but slippery) in my hands.

I had to pull some string with people who know people.

My iPhone 12 Mini in black arrived today.

Only thing is I cant set it up. It wants to do a software update, but I dont have wifi at the office. Tried connecting to the old phone as a hotspot but it doesnt seem to like it.

Oh well, will have to wait until I get home.

First impressions,

It looks and feel very much like my Iphone 5 with the square edges etc.

Its physically smaller than my 6s, but the screen is larger.

I'm yet to decide if I want to put it in a cover or not. The 5 was not in a cover and was ok, the 6s was in an ultra thin silicone cover, but every time I took it out of the cover to clean it just felt oh so lovely (but slippery) in my hands.

Congratulations... You are definitely going to need a cover! The feel is very different to the iPhone 5