This hobby should come with a Warning label

MajG

I am sure we have many hubbers like me.....and we need to form some sort of support group ( the hub aint the support group as it fuels the addiction more :blush:  )

I am ALWAYS looking at buying something new (or new to me) for this hobby - bike, parts,accesories or anything related to this hobby.

Iv purchased new cars, never needed to add or buy so many accesories, same when I had motorbikes. I use to keep Marine fish (nemo's) and that had potential to buy endless fish and accesories etc - yet I wasnt that addicted to searching and looking for new things to buy as I am with MTB'ing. I been running for years, yet ocntent with one pair of runners a year and only changed out watches once every 3 years or so.

I even enjoy changing up my kids bikes or adding better components, so its not only to buy things for me  :whistling:

I enjoy my bike and not into chasing strava times or entering competition etc , i just love getting outdoors with any bike.

Do any of you folks also have this obsession, always looking to get something new , be it a new water bottle to new carbon rims or adding more bikes to the selection.

If my wife only knew how much i actually spend on this hobby :ph34r:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CUD - constant upgrade disorder.  :eek: 

My bike started as a rolling chassis and ended up with my credit card performing drama after drama on Broadway.

It never ends. There will always be something.

Man its crazy!!

I defs got the CUDs

I'm so glad I'm not the only one ...    :D .

The wife have no idea, and never will.

My wife thinks my bike about R10k , as when i showed her bikes beofre it was alway in that price range ....way back then when i started riding  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Man its crazy!!

I defs got the CUDs

My wife thinks my bike about R10k , as when i showed her bikes beofre it was alway in that price range ....way back then when i started riding  :whistling:  :ph34r:

I just bought carbon cranks (150g saving).  Don't really need it since my RaceFace Turbines are still great and actually light for Al, but yet I find myself keep buying lighter and better, its a never flippen ending story.

With my bike under 11kg, I am now very close to the end of the line .... until I see something nice again  :whistling: .

My wife kind of knows that my bike is worth about 190k. Has no idea how it got there and does not ask. The current bike was built up so the spend was over a few months so she did not see it all at once. There is always something new and mostly carbon you can buy. And if it’s not for the bike there are shoes and helmets and sunglasses and gloves and etc. 

My fiancé rides too. We share the maintenance work and tool purchases.

The Wahoo Kickr is a shared resource.

We know exactly how deep the rabbit hole went on our journey to looking suave on the trails.

CUD - constant upgrade disorder.

My bike started as a rolling chassis and ended up with my credit card performing drama after drama on Broadway.

It never ends. There will always be something.

i have GAS - gear acquisition syndrome... 

I just bought carbon cranks (150g saving).  Don't really need it since my RaceFace Turbines are still great and actually light for Al, but yet I find myself keep buying lighter and better, its a never flippen ending story.

With my bike under 11kg, I am now very close to the end of the line .... until I see something nice again  :whistling: .

Thats the drug, always something newer that has promise of being faster or lighter

Even when have the best, we still keep on looking.

Get your wife involved and one of you will always have a shoulder to cry on about overspending. Win/almost win.

Then we will be living out of caravan with 4bikes worth over a 1million ZAR lol

At least there is no money for drugs. I have been riding for around 7 years and have had/built over 60 bikes with only a handful of new bikes. I soon realised that I keep changing everything so why buy a new bike if I am just going to change everything on it.

Currently I only have 2 bikes and a frame hanging while I play around with ideas for what direction I want to go with it.

just built a new MTB.

I have an Excel sheet with the actual weights of each item on the bike (I also have one for the road bike)

I have plans for about R35k worth of upgrades to take the bike from a sub 11kg to sub 10kg - then it is REALLY gonna ride UP GRADES.

I am actually trying to pick up weight so the bike will HAVE TO lose it...

Thats the drug, always something newer that has promise of being faster or lighter

Even when have the best, we still keep on looking.

Then we will be living out of caravan with 4bikes worth over a 1million ZAR lol

Tell you what, this 'normal' life isn't all its cracked up to be, so maybe a caravan with a tour worthy filled bike rack is the answer...

If your caravan happens to tour Europe following all the grand tours as well as visiting some world cup MTB events and bike parks - I am in. #LIFEGOALS

Edited by s14phoenix