Help choose R40k Dual Sus MTB

Wimmas

I'm 1.74 and ride a small bike. I reckon more than half the people you see are riding bikes too big for them wearing shoes too big for them and bibs too small for them. 

I see what you did there. Like people driving BMW's, they are now starting to 'compensate' in other areas as well.  

lag my gat af.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At 1.70m short, I would actually suggest a small.

Especially if you go with the Giant. I would then recommend a Small Trance2.

Getting an XC bike is limiting. Getting a trail bike gives you 5% 'less' efficiency but 500000% more comfort, shreddability, confidence and radness.

I'm 1.74 and ride a small bike. I reckon more than half the people you see are riding bikes too big for them wearing shoes too big for them and bibs too small for them. 

I'm about the same height and that's often in between a medium and large on the size charts. I've ridden my friends large Trek Fuel Ex 29er and I fit on it, although it may be a little stretched when it comes to things like hanging off the back down steep descents.

Anyway, everyone's proportions are different and I'm never quite sure which size to go for. Stability vs maneuverability. Best is to test ride the size and see how it feels.

At 1.70m short, I would actually suggest a small.

Especially if you go with the Giant. I would then recommend a Small Trance2.

Getting an XC bike is limiting. Getting a trail bike gives you 5% 'less' efficiency but 500000% more comfort, shreddability, confidence and radness.

All about the ape factor. I'm always between a medium and large on most manufacturers charts. For years I have ridden mediums until recently when I started buying larges - only once I was on a large did I realise how uncomfortable I was on a medium.

Everyone always says so but I do not always see it that way. Been looking at the classifieds and various groups. Now and then there is a good deal on a modern second hand bike, but many are also outdated with 2x or 1x11 groupsets. Also taking a risk by not knowing service history.

Will go have a look at bikemarket before I buy and continue to watch the classifieds to rule out second hand or possibly fo the route.

I think the Silverback Stratos AL1 is highly spec'd for the price, which is why I am leaning towards it.

Good, as long as you keep an open mind about it.  I got a great carbon fibre dual suspension bike for R25k, a bit old (2013) but still in excellent condition with all XT drivetrain and RaceFace cranks.  Granted it is 1x11 and its going to cost me a fair wack to go to 1x12 but at that price its absolutely worth it.

Good luck.  Get a good frame & fork, the rest you can always upgrade in time.

All about the ape factor. I'm always between a medium and large on most manufacturers charts. For years I have ridden mediums until recently when I started buying larges - only once I was on a large did I realise how uncomfortable I was on a medium.

While I hear you, I am 1.74 with the inseam of a 5 year old child, a super long torso and a positive ape index of 16cm. 

I'm about the same height and that's often in between a medium and large on the size charts. I've ridden my friends large Trek Fuel Ex 29er and I fit on it, although it may be a little stretched when it comes to things like hanging off the back down steep descents.

Anyway, everyone's proportions are different and I'm never quite sure which size to go for. Stability vs maneuverability. Best is to test ride the size and see how it feels.

For a Trance2 2020, the size guide says 1.63 to 1.72 = small, 1.71 to 180 = Medium, 1.79 to 1.88 = Large

So no way is someone 1.70 riding a large without being on the wrong size bike.

I have ridden my friend's XL Canyon and Epic Evo, but it doesn't make it comfortable.

At 1.70 the OP is almost definitely a Small or a Medium. Sorry. Changes in bike sizing isn't huge. It's a matter of 20mm here or there, but if we are realistic, if you are 1.70 you are not a large person. You are in actual fact quite a small person. A small medium sized person or a bigger small person.

Much like people who weigh 85kg trying to buy size S bibs. In what world is 85kg small?

But ja, I'm suggesting the OP doesn't try to sling himself out on a massive bike. There is no shame in riding a smaller framed bike if it fits you

While I hear you, I am 1.74 with the inseam of a 5 year old child, a super long torso and a positive ape index of 16cm. 

For a Trance2 2020, the size guide says 1.63 to 1.72 = small, 1.71 to 180 = Medium, 1.79 to 1.88 = Large

So no way is someone 1.70 riding a large without being on the wrong size bike.

I have ridden my friend's XL Canyon and Epic Evo, but it doesn't make it comfortable.

At 1.70 the OP is almost definitely a Small or a Medium. Sorry. Changes in bike sizing isn't huge. It's a matter of 20mm here or there, but if we are realistic, if you are 1.70 you are not a large person. You are in actual fact quite a small person. A small medium sized person or a bigger small person.

Much like people who weigh 85kg trying to buy size S bibs. In what world is 85kg small?

But ja, I'm suggesting the OP doesn't try to sling himself out on a massive bike. There is no shame in riding a smaller framed bike if it fits you

Agreed for the OP.

Just a bit surprised about you being on small as I'd find that too cramped for myself. But if it suits your preference and riding style then cool. I'd ride a women's bike if it suited me, which it may just bc I'm not that heavy on the scale and they usually come with a lighter shock tune.

Agreed for the OP.

Just a bit surprised about you being on small as I'd find that too cramped for myself. But if it suits your preference and riding style then cool. I'd ride a women's bike if it suited me, which it may just bc I'm not that heavy on the scale and they usually come with a lighter shock tune.

I ride a lady's road bike. 

Been hacking about on a kids bike this year as the linkage position and shock tune are made for smaller riders ie kids. The spez Camber Grom. It's a hoot.

Not all bike sizes are equal though.

I'm busy building a carbon titan cypher team and I went with the medium. The lengths where they count are very similar to my small Lapierre

I ride a lady's road bike. 

Been hacking about on a kids bike this year as the linkage position and shock tune are made for smaller riders ie kids. The spez Camber Grom. It's a hoot.

Not all bike sizes are equal though.

I'm busy building a carbon titan cypher team and I went with the medium. The lengths where they count are very similar to my small Lapierre

JIP !!!

I truly enjoy the fit and feel on the MEDIUM Giant Trance.

On the Scott the LARGE was a perfect fit for me.

Only way to know ... RIDE the bike ....

Please do share pictures!

I'm 172cm and my medium Cypher feels like it could do with a touch more reach.

Ja no I am not suggesting OP is on a large, just that he should consider a med as well as a small. 

I am 178 with a long torso and little midget legs. That's why the new long bikes suit me so well. Finally there are bikes that offer decent standover height while allowing long travel droppers, and being lekker long in reach.

Anyway, OP should definitely get on a bike to test ride, that's the only way to see if he will be comfy. I think we can all agree, a shitty bike that fits well is much better than a superbike that fits terribly.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I'm 172cm and my medium Cypher feels like it could do with a touch more reach.

As someone who raced downhill in the 90s and early 2000s, all the current bikes don't feel like they need more reach.

I will be rocking a 70mm stem with 780mm bars. The reach/position should be sweet. It is a down country bike, not a big rig, so it is made for racing.

If it was longer one would ded being too slung out over a few big days in the saddle

Also, OP, as an aside, I have built the bike up for less than 40k.

The only used bits will be the fork and the brakes which have just had a full overhaul.

It should, by all accounts be fast with an emphasis on fun.... The proof will of course be in the pudding.

I can't ride it yet as my claw hand isn't quite able to stand up to the rigours of me on a mountain bike

Please do share pictures!

I shall do so!

Classifieds is your best bet .For 40 k you can get a lot of decent bike .All of my bikes have been via classifieds on bikehub .Take a look at this bike carbon-santa-cruz-tallboy-c-xl-mountain-

Edited by arendoog

Hey man im just gonna add my vote for the Stratos. Get the highest spec you can afford as the difference is pretty big in brakes, gears, and suspension. They all use the same frame.

Ive got a AL5 frame with GX, Guide brakes, a reba up front, and Lyne Amp wheels, still rocking the X fusion shock. With on-board tool storage, M540 pedals, and some soares and cages, shes around 13.1 kgs. Which is heavy. But the 120mm of travel, combined with the very playful geometry means it really eata up both long miles and tricky trails with much ease. Its a great do it all bike and that POP geometry is really amazing on the climbs, it certianly doesn't feel 13kgs heavy...

They have, however, gone through a couple of iterations of pivot bolts and bushings, so ask the shop to make sure you have the latest ones installed from new.

There's also an alternative to the plastic cable cover that most owners hate, so if it bugs you too, PM me.

But really, a great bike and i love how it looks.