Help choose R40k Dual Sus MTB

Wimmas

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated! I will go test ride a few bikes this weekend and hopefully get a better idea.

Just a question: If I get a bike with a NX 12 spd group set, can I upgrade it to a Shimano 12 spd and still use the same freehub and crankset the bike came with? Or do the SRAM 12 spd group set come with different freehub bodies? Mircospline is what Shimano 12spd use if I am not mistaken, and SRAM XD driver if I am not mistaken, so I assume not?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated! I will go test ride a few bikes this weekend and hopefully get a better idea.

Just a question: If I get a bike with a NX 12 spd group set, can I upgrade it to a Shimano 12 spd and still use the same freehub and crankset the bike came with? Or do the SRAM 12 spd group set come with different freehub bodies? Mircospline is what Shimano 12spd use if I am not mistaken, and SRAM XD driver if I am not mistaken, so I assume not?

The crank wil work.

Not the hub, you will need microspline and not all hubs are compatible.

NX and SX fits onto standard Shimano hubs.  Shimano went micro-spline to fit a 10 tooth, and Sram went XD for the same reason.

The price you pay for going with NX or SX is that you are stuck with "11" on the small end .... Okay, it also means a wide range of generic cassettes could be used.

Does SRAM NX use XD driver?

To dramatically cut costs, a decision was made to build the NX cassette using a standard Shimano freehub body interface rather than SRAM's XD driver interface used on its other 1×11 offerings. This results in a retail price of 80 bucks. It also means that the NX cassette's small cog has 11 teeth instead of 10.Feb 11, 2016

The crank wil work.

Not the hub, you will need microspline and not all hubs are compatible.

In the case of getting a Silverback Stratos AL2, could I then just replace the NX shifter and derailleur with Shimano XT, and chain if need be, then use the cassette and crank therefore not requiring a new hub?

Bottom line, if you want to go Shimano 12 spd at a later stage, you will have to change the HG freebody for a microspline.

In the case of getting a Silverback Stratos AL2, could I then just replace the NX shifter and derailleur with Shimano XT, and chain if need be, then use the cassette and crank therefore not requiring a new hub?

XT 11 spd yes but not 12 spd.  Like I said for 12 spd shimano, microspline freehub is required.

Sorry, I misunderstood you question, yes you are correct.

Edited by Theog

Bottom line, if you want to go Shimano 12 spd at a later stage, you will have to change the HG freebody for a microspline.

And hope the hub is compatible which it might not be? Hmmm, else I must get a different hub which will be an extra cost and require a wheel build. That will eventually become quite expensive. Will need to look at what it will cost me if I remove the entire group set including hub with freebody and sell before even riding, and replace with full XT group set and new hub and mircospline body..... Is NX really that bad that I would need to go through the effort? A previous post mentioned to stay away from NX. There are many new bikes which come with NX. And I have read a number of posts with complaints on Shimano 12spd...clutches going dry and requiring frequent service etc.

Both XT and SLX have a 10 on the small side ... thus micro-spline.

So if you start with NX you will need a new hub to fit these.

You will need an 11-50 (11-51) if you want to keep the standard hub

Still well worth it to buy a XT derailure and shifter

Both XT and SLX have a 10 on the small side ... thus micro-spline.

So if you start with NX you will need a new hub to fit these.

You will need an 11-50 (11-51) if you want to keep the standard hub

Still well worth it to buy a XT derailure and shifter

Thank you!

Just weighing up the options.

What about BB on a Sram NX crank vs Shimano crank. Same or will that also need to be replaced? If so then I will be screwed cost wise...

Thank you!

Just weighing up the options.

What about BB on a Sram NX crank vs Shimano crank. Same or will that also need to be replaced? If so then I will be screwed cost wise...

To go XT 12sp including Shifter, DR, casette, chain and freebody, you looking at about R8-9k, so yes expensive exercise, I'm busy doing it gradually so that its not one big shock on the budget :)

To go XT 12sp including Shifter, DR, casette, chain and freebody, you looking at about R8-9k, so yes expensive exercise, I'm busy doing it gradually so that its not one big shock on the budget :)

Agreed! But thinking if I remove the entite group set before even riding, I can sell and make a lot of the money back. So it will eventually only cost an additional R4k to R5k to me. Then I have a reba fork, rockshox shock, full xt group set and deore brakes. Well spec'd bike for under R40k. Might just be worth it.

Why do you want to upgrade the drivetrain from day 1? For weight savings? For bling? Honestly, you will cry a lot more when a branch mangles an XT derailleur than an NX derailleur. A microspline freehub might be available for your hub, but you'll likely have to cough close to 5k to get something like a Hope along with getting it built I to your wheel. For weight savings, I'd look at a better set of wheels, they'll improve the ride of the bike much more than a drivetrain. My 2c, buy the bike, ride it, love it and upgrade as stuff wears out.

Why do you want to upgrade the drivetrain from day 1? For weight savings? For bling? Honestly, you will cry a lot more when a branch mangles an XT derailleur than an NX derailleur. A microspline freehub might be available for your hub, but you'll likely have to cough close to 5k to get something like a Hope along with getting it built I to your wheel. For weight savings, I'd look at a better set of wheels, they'll improve the ride of the bike much more than a drivetrain. My 2c, buy the bike, ride it, love it and upgrade as stuff wears out.

This is absolutely the more sensible approach.  Unfortunately sometimes as 'n mens se gat jeuk, it simply wont stop until you buy a nice piece of bling .... :)

This is absolutely the more sensible approach. Unfortunately sometimes as 'n mens se gat jeuk, it simply wont stop until you buy a nice piece of bling .... :)

Not even a draadborsel help for this type of itch ....

I did similar with a previous bike ... when I sold the bike I got exactly 0c back for the upgrades ...

Common sense suggests buy the bike, ride the bike, fix/upgrade as parts wear out ....

Not as if common sense and "upgrades" often enter the same discussion though .... :)

Edited by ChrisF

Personally I'm a big fan of Giant having owned a couple of Anthems and currently own both a 2020 Trance and 2019 Reign. Their bikes are extremely good at a very reasonable price and come with a very solid warranty (I only ever tested that on a 2012 Anthem). As someone mentioned they also often have great deals on previous year models.

I have bought 2nd hand bikes and parts before but wouldn't recommend this route if you're stretching your budget unless you can persuade the previous owner to have the whole bike completely stripped and serviced by a reputable mechanic. You can very easily find yourself in for headset, freebody, BB, cassette, chain, major suspension issues, pivots etc if not well maintained previously. This can run into the 10's of thousands - fortunately this is the minority of cases but you might just end up with that lemon.

Nothing wrong with NX really. The older generation derailleurs are known to implode on themselves so maybe ask the shop to upgrade that to GX from the start. 

The cassettes, shifters, and cranks are pretty damn good and do a great job. Good crisp shifting.