• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

on the way up!!!????!!😲

WOuld you like my & argust number?

Does the speed limit only apply to the up? I've ridden over that road hundreds of times but I've not payed much attention to the signage

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

No one driver or motorcyclist adheres to it. That speed is sufficiently slow to demand all traffic only crawl up slowly. But every day it’s a race track with motorists forcing cyclists against the wall. 
but remember to ride singlefile because not adhering to that Karen interpretation of the law makes you the biggest most vilified criminal in the world 

RHETORICAL QUESTION - 

Why should cars adhere to these signs .... when cyclists ignore the multiple "single file" signs along the same road ??

We drove out to Melkbos this morning, on the return trip it was down right scary to watch the lack of driver skills.  YES, passing in a blind rise seems to the inn thing this summer .....  The twit had barely moved back into his lane when we crested to see a group of Outriders coming back towards Melkbos, with a car next to them .... few seconds earlier and it would have been one nasty accident .....

PS - The Outriders were riding safely in the shoulder doing their bit to be safe.

Had to "smile" along Adderley, near Occultdale road junction.  Pace car behind a lone cyclists, with a bike on the bike rack behind the vehicle .... perfectly blocking the hazards !!  I was right onto him before realising just how slow he was crawling along ....

I am not sure what the last few posts have to do with a motorbike speeding up the wrong side of the road and hitting a cyclist head on ?
I hope that this isn't descending into victim blaming again...

9 minutes ago, splat said:

I am not sure what the last few posts have to do with a motorbike speeding up the wrong side of the road and hitting a cyclist head on ?

No, My question about speeding was more out of interest.

Passing anyone on that road is pure idiocy

52 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Does the speed limit only apply to the up? I've ridden over that road hundreds of times but I've not payed much attention to the signage

Road traffic act generally applies the speed limit according to your direction of travel. The last sign I see on chappies heading south toward noordhoek says 40km/hr.

On the way up from Noordhoek, i.e. heading north it is 20km/hr. 

I could be wrong and I've missed a speed sign somewhere but I understand the the southerly direction limit to be 40km/hr and northerly 20 till just after the check point where it switches to 40km/hr also.

Which makes sense since the climb from Noordhoek is narrow and shared with all traffic

34 minutes ago, splat said:

No certainly not. There is no validation for speeding and passing traffic around blind corners or a blind rise. These are the number 1 cause of road accidents and falls under the reckless and negligent driving category:

https://www.gertnelincattorneys.co.za/blog/raf/4-common-causes-of-road-accidents-understanding-the-risks/

Road accidents are a significant cause of injury and death in South Africa. According to the Road Traffic Management Corporation, there were over 10,000 deaths on South African roads in 2020 alone. At Gert Nel Inc Attorneys, we have seen the devastating effects of road accidents firsthand and are committed to helping victims seek justice and compensation. This blog explores some common causes of road accidents and how you can prevent them.

Reckless or negligent driving

One of the most common causes of road accidents is reckless or negligent driving. This includes speeding, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and distracted driving. According to Gert Nel, “Reckless or negligent driving is a significant contributor to road accidents, and it is essential for drivers to understand the risks associated with these behaviours.” In fact, a study by the South African Medical Journal found that 71% of fatal accidents in South Africa were caused by driver error. Here are some tips for preventing becoming a victim of road accidents caused by negligent or reckless driving:

1. Maintain a safe following distance: Keeping a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of you can give you more time to react if the driver does something unexpected, such as slamming on the brakes or making a sudden turn.
  2. Be aware of your surroundings: Pay attention to other drivers on the road and be aware of any signs of reckless or negligent driving, such as swerving or sudden lane changes.
  3. Follow the rules of the road: Obeying traffic signals, stopping at stop signs, and following the speed limit are all essential to prevent accidents caused by negligent or reckless driving.
  4. Avoid distractions: Using your phone, eating, or drinking while driving, can all increase the risk of accidents. Avoid distractions by focusing on the road and keeping your attention on driving.
  5. Speak up if you feel uncomfortable: If you are a passenger in a vehicle and feel uncomfortable with the driver’s behaviour, speak up and ask them to slow down or pay more attention to the road.

Poor road conditions

GNI-1.jpg

Another common cause of road accidents is poor road conditions, including potholes, uneven surfaces, and inadequate lighting. These conditions can make it difficult for drivers to maintain control of their vehicles, particularly in adverse weather conditions. According to the Automobile Association of South Africa, poor road conditions are responsible for 25% of accidents in the country. Here are some tips for preventing becoming a victim of road accidents caused by poor road conditions:

1. Stay alert and focused on the road: When driving, it’s essential to stay alert and focused on the road at all times. Pay attention to road signs, traffic signals, and other vehicles around you. Avoid distractions such as using your phone, eating, or drinking while driving.
  2. Slow down and maintain a safe following distance: Poor road conditions can make it difficult to maintain control of your vehicle, particularly at high speeds. To reduce the risk of accidents, slow down and maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
  3. Avoid driving at night or in adverse weather conditions: Poor road conditions can be even more hazardous at night or during adverse weather conditions. If possible, avoid driving during these times or take extra precautions to ensure your safety on the road.
  4. Keep your vehicle well-maintained: Regular maintenance of your vehicle is essential to prevent accidents caused by mechanical failures. Check your tires, brakes, and steering regularly, and address any issues promptly.
  5. Report poor road conditions to the authorities: If you notice poor road conditions, such as potholes or uneven surfaces, report them to the relevant authorities as soon as possible. This can help to prevent accidents and ensure that the roads are safe for all users.

Vehicle defects and mechanical failures

Vehicle defects and mechanical failures are also a significant contributor to road accidents. This includes issues with brakes, tires, and steering, which can all affect a driver’s ability to control their vehicle. According to the Road Traffic Management Corporation, vehicle defects and mechanical failures are responsible for 15% of accidents in South Africa. Here are some tips for preventing becoming a victim of road accidents caused by vehicle defects and mechanical failures:

1. Keep your vehicle well-maintained: Regular maintenance of your vehicle is essential to prevent accidents caused by mechanical failures. Check your tires, brakes, and steering regularly, and address any issues promptly.
  2. Pay attention to warning signs: Warning signs such as strange noises, warning lights, or a decrease in performance can all indicate that your vehicle has a mechanical issue. If you notice any of these signs, have your vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic as soon as possible.
  3. Avoid overloading your vehicle: Overloading your vehicle can put extra strain on its components, increasing the risk of mechanical failures. Make sure to check your vehicle’s load capacity and avoid overloading it.
  4. Follow safe driving practices: Safe driving practices such as avoiding sudden stops, reducing speed when driving over bumps, and maintaining a safe following distance can all help to reduce the risk of accidents caused by mechanical failures.
  5. Use quality parts and products: Using high-quality parts and products, such as brakes and tires, can help to reduce the risk of mechanical failures. Make sure to purchase parts and products from reputable suppliers and have them installed by qualified mechanics.

Human factors responsible for road accidents

GNI-4-1.jpg

Human factors such as fatigue, stress, and medical conditions can also contribute to road
accidents. Drivers who are tired or stressed are more likely to make mistakes on the road, while
medical conditions such as epilepsy or heart disease can impair a driver’s ability to operate a
vehicle safely.
Here are some tips for preventing becoming a victim of road accidents caused by human
factors:

1. Get enough rest: Getting enough rest is essential to prevent accidents caused by fatigue. Make sure to get a good night’s sleep before a long drive, and take breaks every two hours to rest and stretch.
  2. Manage stress: Stress can affect a driver’s ability to focus and make good decisions on the road. Practice stress-reducing techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or listening to calming music before driving.
  3. Be aware of your medical condition: If you have a medical condition that affects your ability to drive, make sure to follow your doctor’s advice and take any necessary medication. Avoid driving if your condition is not under control or if you experience symptoms such as dizziness or seizures.
  4. Avoid distractions: Distractions such as using your phone, eating, or drinking while driving can all increase the risk of accidents. Avoid distractions by focusing on the road and keeping your attention on driving.
  5. Follow safe driving practices: Safe driving practices such as obeying traffic signals, maintaining a safe following distance, and reducing speed in adverse weather conditions can all help to reduce the risk of accidents caused by human factors. Many road accidents are preventable. By understanding the common causes of road accidents and taking steps to prevent them, we can all help to make our roads safer. If you have been injured in a road accident, contact Gert Nel Inc Attorneys today to learn more about your legal options.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

RHETORICAL QUESTION - 

Why should cars adhere to these signs .... when cyclists ignore the multiple "single file" signs along the same road ??

We drove out to Melkbos this morning, on the return trip it was down right scary to watch the lack of driver skills.  YES, passing in a blind rise seems to the inn thing this summer .....  The twit had barely moved back into his lane when we crested to see a group of Outriders coming back towards Melkbos, with a car next to them .... few seconds earlier and it would have been one nasty accident .....

PS - The Outriders were riding safely in the shoulder doing their bit to be safe.

Had to "smile" along Adderley, near Occultdale road junction.  Pace car behind a lone cyclists, with a bike on the bike rack behind the vehicle .... perfectly blocking the hazards !!  I was right onto him before realising just how slow he was crawling along ....

its really about duty of care while operating a 1.5ton killing machine.

You may remember the whole in the wall in the Cape Technikon mechanical workshop wall that was created by a certain mr Beardwood forgeting to remove the chuck key when starting up a lathe. we all gave him a behoorlikke snotklap before TAP found out. Duty of Care.

Single file is impossible when you have 10,000 people squeezin in some training for CTCT. Its just not going to happen. CTCT is part of Cape Town culture. On the 12th March the roads will less full of MAMIL's. Imagine everyone on Chappies today was cycling single file? You'd have a long line of cyclists wobbling about 20km long. 

I dropped a proposal with Mr Winde last year, to have Sunday Mornings between 6am and 9am only open to cycling and running traffic from the beginning of February till CTCT.

....crickets.......

The car will always win because fuel tax is government revenue and they will never bite that hand

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

No, My question about speeding was more out of interest.

Passing anyone on that road is pure idiocy

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

its really about duty of care while operating a 1.5ton killing machine.

You may remember the whole in the wall in the Cape Technikon mechanical workshop wall that was created by a certain mr Beardwood forgeting to remove the chuck key when starting up a lathe. we all gave him a behoorlikke snotklap before TAP found out. Duty of Care.

Single file is impossible when you have 10,000 people squeezin in some training for CTCT. Its just not going to happen. CTCT is part of Cape Town culture. On the 12th March the roads will less full of MAMIL's. Imagine everyone on Chappies today was cycling single file? You'd have a long line of cyclists wobbling about 20km long. 

I dropped a proposal with Mr Winde last year, to have Sunday Mornings between 6am and 9am only open to cycling and running traffic from the beginning of February till CTCT.

....crickets.......

The car will always win because fuel tax is government revenue and they will never bite that hand

150% agree. 

Spent some time in the Midlands over the weekend and quite a few cyclists out on narrow roads with plenty of caged meanderers and other types. Stopped at the Groundcover shoe factory and saw the beautiful memorial to Justin McCarty, the founder, killed by a bakkie on the Curry's Post road.

Be safe out there.

57 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

I just read that he passed away this morning, RIP

Edited by Pure Savage

8 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Terrible, there is going to be a lot of trauma in some families this morning that could have easily been avoided. 

RIP fellow rider.

Just heard the report was not factual, apologies. 

54 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Any news on the 2 cyclists that were hit by the motorcycle?

here is the update from a group this morning 

He is medically stable and is being cared for by the trauma team at Christian Barnard. He has been seen by two of his medical friends and the situation is calm and under control. 
He was cycling down Chappies when a super bike was overtaking on a blind corner and hit head on. Anton Chait was fortunately behind him and a doctor was on the scene early. His chest and vital signs are all good. He has some significant facial fractures and has been sedated and ventilated to protect his brain and airways. He is having some scans and test and he will then be sent to ICU.