Waking up

TNT1

This morning was the final attempt to go out at 5am.

I have just given up, having a 3.5 year old and 5 month baby in the house.

Getting up 3 times a night for bottle, nappy change, picking one up from the floor.

Just not build for this.

Long gone are those 4am starts and 20 hours a week.

Friend and fellow hubber had their second one a few weeks back.

Having done some 9 000km last year he simply cant get out now ....

Going to take a while before they settle back into a routine ....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this exact problem too. There is a decent group ride that leaves at 05:30 not far from my place. If I set my alarm for 5:00 I hardly sleep, no idea why. Once the post-ride coffee wears off I'm pretty much useless for the day... not ideal.

So now I just leave my bike and my kit ready the night before. I don't set an alarm and if I wake up early (sometimes I just wake at 5am anyway) then I join them. However what happens pretty often is I'm awake by 5:15 and I time-trial to the meeting place only to seem them disappearing into the distance. I've once chased them for about 10km before giving up. Was good training I guess. 

Also happens to me from time-to-time. It is almost as if I overthink the waking-up early bit.

A weird thing that works for me, which someone else touched on earlier:

If I roll around without falling asleep for a while, say 30mins, I get up and go drink a decent amount of water. Most of the times that changes my mindset and I then fall asleep easier.

Also happens to me from time-to-time. It is almost as if I overthink the waking-up early bit.

A weird thing that works for me, which someone else touched on earlier:

If I roll around without falling asleep for a while, say 30mins, I get up and go drink a decent amount of water. Most of the times that changes my mindset and I then fall asleep easier.

If I do that I'll be up in 40-60 min needing to pee, and then on the hour every hour after that.

The 14 would not work for me, with time, it must either be a quarter, half or whole, i.e. :00, :15 or :30

All other numbers must be even's, that's why I'm thankful my shoes are a 10 and not a 9 or 11...  As a matter of interest, is your bicycle 10, 11 or 12 speed?

One of 10 and one of 12.

The tandem fortunately is a 3x9...

Getting up 3 times a night for bottle, nappy change, picking one up from the floor.

Just not build for this.

You still have a few more years of interrupted sleep. The 5 y/o doesn't bother us that much anymore but the twins are 2.5 and the one likes to sometimes join us very early(like between 3 and 4am) and the other sometimes likes a bottle in the middle of the night. But I would say 3 to 4 nights a week are uninterrupted. When the one comes to join us he is seriously restless and kicks one of us out the bed so we just go sleep in his bed. I actually sleep better in his bed for that hour or so than if I sit it out fighting with the little guy.

Just not build for this.

I know that feeling but it does get better; just takes time. I’ve never got back to 15+ hour weeks, but 6-10 hours are my new hours and enjoying that time more than the 15+.

Rather use this time to be with them, they aren’t small forever. The ride when you can.

Edited by Frosty

Friend and fellow hubber had their second one a few weeks back.

Having done some 9 000km last year he simply cant get out now ....

Going to take a while before they settle back into a routine ....

My oldest was born late nov 2015(a week after 947). I did almost 15000km that year. The twins were born mid 2018. 2019 and 2020 I did around 2000km each year(2016,17 and 18 were not much better tbh). I went from racing every race I could down to 2 races a year-ride for sight and CTCT.

My girls were born in 2010 and 2013.
I didn't feel like getting up in those first 4 years (2010 - 2013), and only rode when a friend invited me to ride with them. After No.2 was born, someone told me to find a balance between family and riding otherwise I'd never ride again. 2014 was a ramp up to what has become normal for me since then.

post-1372-0-31182900-1612165678_thumb.png

I was still able to race Vets in 2015 - 2017 but it was hard to keep up with only 6 hours/week training (average per week). In 2018 I decided that riding was better than racing - less stress and more fun. The competitive nature in me still wants to compete, but I don't feel bad when I don't do well.

I didn't feel like getting up in those first 4 years (2010 - 2013), and only rode when a friend invited me to ride with them. After No.2 was born, someone told me to find a balance between family and riding otherwise I'd never ride again. 2014 was a ramp up to what has become normal for me since then.

attachicon.gifannual miles.PNG

I was still able to race Vets in 2015 - 2017 but it was hard to keep up with only 6 hours/week training (average per week). In 2018 I decided that riding was better than racing - less stress and more fun. The competitive nature in me still wants to compete, but I don't feel bad when I don't do well.

Brilliant to see a similar trend with everyone on here.

I also averaged in the order of 2000kms a year since the first one was born.

Going to try to seriously ramp it up this year as we seem to have found a rhythm that works for us. Already did double the distance compared to my previous best for the month of January, so looking good.

attachicon.gifannual miles.PNG

your low 2010 to 2013 numbers are my high numbers, your 2014 is about the same as my 2020 which is a great year for me.

How do you find time to fit everything else in ?

your low 2010 to 2013 numbers are my high numbers, your 2014 is about the same as my 2020 which is a great year for me.

How do you find time to fit everything else in ?

that works out to 3 week day rides and a long weekend ride. If I can squeeze in more, bonus.

3x 60mins during the week.

1x 3-4 hour on the weekend.

If I do that every week, I’m looking at 10000Km for the year. Obviously life happens and it’s less.

I pay a garden boy, the wife pays the maid.

The rest of the work around the house needs to be done outside of work and riding hours.

Sleep cycle app, monitors your sleeping patterns during the night and wakes you up in slow and peaceful state when your not in a deep sleep REM. Put your phone next to you on the bedside table or under your pillow on flight mode. The alarm can be set with several relaxing sounds and it gradually increases volume but the main benefit is that your never in a deep sleep when it goes off. you can set your parameters for monitoring. I schedule my alarm and the app will wake you up in a 15-30 min (you can set accordingly) window to be woken up

Sleep cycle app, monitors your sleeping patterns during the night and wakes you up in slow and peaceful state when your not in a deep sleep REM. Put your phone next to you on the bedside table or under your pillow on flight mode. The alarm can be set with several relaxing sounds and it gradually increases volume but the main benefit is that your never in a deep sleep when it goes off. you can set your parameters for monitoring. I schedule my alarm and the app will wake you up in a 15-30 min (you can set accordingly) window to be woken up

that works out to 3 week day rides and a long weekend ride. If I can squeeze in more, bonus.

3x 60mins during the week.

1x 3-4 hour on the weekend.

If I do that every week, I’m looking at 10000Km for the year. Obviously life happens and it’s less.

I pay a garden boy, the wife pays the maid.

The rest of the work around the house needs to be done outside of work and riding hours.

You see, I dont pay my wife and she doesnt pay me. So I need to have time and energy on the weekend to do the garden and everything else around the house.

Also only have 1 and half days weekend

But, Except for last week I've been doing the 3x60min during the week, I think the big shortfall comes from the long weekend ride, usually its between 2 and 3 hours.

if its on your bedside table how does it know when you're sleeping or not ?

Thanks for the help guys.

I ordered one of those vibration under pillow alarms suggested, hopefully that wakes me only, and let's the Chinese sleep.