Waking up

TNT1

You see, I dont pay my wife and she doesnt pay me. So I need to have time and energy on the weekend to do the garden and everything else around the house.

Also only have 1 and half days weekend

But, Except for last week I've been doing the 3x60min during the week, I think the big shortfall comes from the long weekend ride, usually its between 2 and 3 hours.

Remember that you need a base on which to build. Those long rides help, and getting up early (the title of this thread) makes it easier to get the distance done, and still have time left for the day.

I've been riding for more than 20 years, so have a large base and can quickly add HIIT on top of the base training. The fitness is not the problem, but the recovery to be able to do the other things around the house.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help guys.

I ordered one of those vibration under pillow alarms suggested, hopefully that wakes me only, and let's the Chinese sleep.

Does your lady(sorry can't remember if you engaged or not?) know you call her "the Chinese"? You make her sound like some underground Chinese mafia gang.

PS. I do know she is Chinese. 

Remember that you need a base on which to build. Those long rides help, and getting up early (the title of this thread) makes it easier to get the distance done, and still have time left for the day.

I've been riding for more than 20 years, so have a large base and can quickly add HIIT on top of the base training. The fitness is not the problem, but the recovery to be able to do the other things around the house.

Been riding for more than 20 years too. Just never really did the long base miles.

I can now relate to everybody saying a kid is the best alarm lol. Ive basically been a zombie for the past 3 months. It’s not as bad as the all nighters in studio at varsity 12 years ago but i’m a bit out of practice now lol. Even though I set an alarm, i’ve never really needed one. I have this ‘ability’ to just visualize at what time the alarm must go off and i’ll be awake 5min before it every single time without fail.

My new problem is however with the kid still waking up at 1am, And if ive had anything more than 3 hours sleep...thats it, i wont sleep again. So my days have been starting super early these last few months haha

I can now relate to everybody saying a kid is the best alarm lol. Ive basically been a zombie for the past 3 months. It’s not as bad as the all nighters in studio at varsity 12 years ago but i’m a bit out of practice now lol. Even though I set an alarm, i’ve never really needed one. I have this ‘ability’ to just visualize at what time the alarm must go off and i’ll be awake 5min before it every single time without fail.

My new problem is however with the kid still waking up at 1am, And if ive had anything more than 3 hours sleep...thats it, i wont sleep again. So my days have been starting super early these last few months haha

To all the dads out there, something to relate to (if you are Afrikaans):  :P 

"6 maande vaak, ons het lanklaas geslaap"

"Daarsy boys hey, dit was nou pret, Daarsy boys Daarsy boys ek is 8uur in die bed.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKzlOVYZn5M 

I have the same problem if woken up super-early and just can't get back to sleep then.

Something that does seem to work is reading, - reading a few pages seems to put your mind in a different more relaxed brain state and after 20 - 30 minutes doze back off quite happily. 

It records movements with accelerometer if under pillow or uses microphone to record sounds during the night when on bedside table. following morning you will be surprised by the data it captures. Breathing and snoring recording. Think it determines your asleep when movements are low and breathing a certain rythym. It works very well even when fan/aircon is on. Give it a go. Especially for training to record resting HR every morning it has this feature aswell

It records movements with accelerometer if under pillow or uses microphone to record sounds during the night when on bedside table. following morning you will be surprised by the data it captures. Breathing and snoring recording. Think it determines your asleep when movements are low and breathing a certain rythym. It works very well even when fan/aircon is on. Give it a go. Especially for training to record resting HR every morning it has this feature aswell

thanks, will try it out.

For the newbie dads out there, where baby is on the bottle - I was given this advice:

Take the late evening shift and let the Mrs sleep. Then she wakes up after midnight and does the graveyard shift. She can sleep when baby sleeps, while dad has to go to work. This allows both to get some extended period of sleep.

How good is it at picking up your movements vs your partners when you have it on the bedside table ?

I used it for the first time last night, its picked up what it determines to be coughs, but I dont think I coughed at all last night. If I spring for the premium version it will let me listen to the recording and I could figure out if its me or the wife, but I'm not paying R500 for that.

Damn. Good luck.

Mine is in Matric now so only see her when the food is ready.

This morning was the final attempt to go out at 5am.

I have just given up, having a 3.5 year old and 5 month baby in the house.

Getting up 3 times a night for bottle, nappy change, picking one up from the floor.

Just not build for this.

Long gone are those 4am starts and 20 hours a week.

For the newbie dads out there, where baby is on the bottle - I was given this advice:

Take the late evening shift and let the Mrs sleep. Then she wakes up after midnight and does the graveyard shift. She can sleep when baby sleeps, while dad has to go to work. This allows both to get some extended period of sleep.

Mine is 6 months old. My wife and I have an agreement that I take everything before 3AM, she takes everything after 3AM. Before 3 when the little one wakes up she still allows me enough time to make a bottle before becoming hysterical, after 3AM she wakes up hungry so the boob is just faster. That arrangement works very well for us. Then again, we are very lucky that our little one sleeps very well - from 3 months she sleeps from 9:30PM until 5:15AM, and from 5:30AM to about 7:30AM. It means that we can't really say our sleeping patterns have changed at all. The only difficult time was the first 2 months when she woke up every 2 to 3 hours to drink, but that was also a 15mins turnaround time before falling asleep again.

Since the birth of my daughter in August last year I have clocked a higher average weekly hours (around 10 to 15 per week) than ever before. Maybe it is that I now have to structure my day a bit more around my wife and daughter's schedule. I used to set the alarm for 5AM, when it goes off I just turned around and went back to sleep knowing I can ride in the afternoon (which only happened half the time). Now I know when the alarm goes off it's my only chance for the day, so I go. The forced structure has done wonders for me.

I think another factor that helps is that my wife is studying to specialize now, so she is up at 4:30AM every day to get some hours in before work. And she "helps" me out of bed in the morning. By help I mean she sets my 2 dogs loose on me, that wakes me very quickly.

Anyway, many have told me you get proportionate bad luck with the 2nd one compared to the good luck you got fort the 1st one. So I am just going to enjoy this while it lasts!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Mine is 6 months old. My wife and I have an agreement that I take everything before 3AM, she takes everything after 3AM. Before 3 when the little one wakes up she still allows me enough time to make a bottle before becoming hysterical, after 3AM she wakes up hungry so the boob is just faster. That arrangement works very well for us. Then again, we are very lucky that our little one sleeps very well - from 3 months she sleeps from 9:30PM until 5:15AM, and from 5:30AM to about 7:30AM. It means that we can't really say our sleeping patterns have changed at all. The only difficult time was the first 2 months when she woke up every 2 to 3 hours to drink, but that was also a 15mins turnaround time before falling asleep again.

Since the birth of my daughter in August last year I have clocked a higher average weekly hours (around 10 to 15 per week) than ever before. Maybe it is that I now have to structure my day a bit more around my wife and daughter's schedule. I used to set the alarm for 5AM, when it goes off I just turned around and went back to sleep knowing I can ride in the afternoon (which only happened half the time). Now I know when the alarm goes off it's my only chance for the day, so I go. The forced structure has done wonders for me.

I think another factor that helps is that my wife is studying to specialize now, so she is up at 4:30AM every day to get some hours in before work. And she "helps" me out of bed in the morning. By help I mean she sets my 2 dogs loose on me, that wakes me very quickly.

Anyway, many have told me you get proportionate bad luck with the 2nd one compared to the good luck you got fort the 1st one. So I am just going to enjoy this while it lasts!

From your and my experience, it's not baby that needs routine, it's the parents that need it.

Enjoy the bike time.

This I can vouch for, first child slept  right through the night from  before 3 months old and was such an easy baby. Second one was an absolute nightmare, didn't sleep through a full night  till he was over 3 years old.