Squirt Lube

Peron

I'm in the school of dry lube for dry conditions and wet lube for wet conditions. My riding is predominately gravel/MTB and road (groad bro)

Used a fair amount of different brands over the years, including Smoove and Squirt. My goto is Smoove which also works well in mixed conditions. More or less on par with Squirt throughout riding conditions but does run 'cleaner' for longer. 
Also using Momum which claims to have ceramic micro particles, runs clean and works well in mixed conditions but doesn't last as long. In my experience. 
For really rain soaked rides I'll grab whichever wet lube is on the shelf. Currently MucOff wet (hate the dry) and an assortment of oils. LiquiMoly, Motul etc... 

Some good info on friction tests and lube usage. Interestingly both Squirt and Smoove show up well here;

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-chain-lube-that-saves-you-money/

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

One thing I've been reading up on more and trying to steer clear of are PFAS or known as "forever chemicals" ... Not cool stuff

https://www.ewg.org/pfaschemicals/what-are-forever-chemicals.html

https://chemtrust.org/pfas/

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the answer.

muc-off-dry-lube-120ml-lubes-muc-off.jpg

This is a great lube.

But... I have both this and a bottle of their C3 Ceramic Dry. C3 wins hands down. Yes, it’s crazy expensive, but the added syrup-like consistency (almost like Finish Line’s old school wet lube) makes it stick and last just that much longer. It also dissolves completely when using water-based degreaser.

Magical stuff.

The only other stuff that’s come close is Rock ‘n Roll Extreme Purple, which we sadly don’t get locally anymore...

Squirt is rubbish, unless you love scrubbing wax out of your pulleys every weekend.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes, it works. Doesn’t stay in place as long as squirt or smoove but it works. I like the Ryder lube that comes with the luberetta.

but the best lube is a hit melt wax if you have the time and inclination for it.

talk to me about this melt wax?

Literally remove your chain and dunk in heated molten candle wax. 

Penetrates the rollers etc. 

Apparently works well.  Remember to discard the molten dirty wax in hot liquid form down the kitchen sink. This is important. 

28 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

talk to me about this melt wax?

Basically you make your own.

clean your chain in isopropyl alcohol.

let it dry thoroughly 

take a few candles and melt them in a pot.

30gr of candle is about 50ml of melted wax so melt about 3 csndles

add an equal amount of your favourite oil. This can be engine oil, fish oil, or whatever you have around the house. Just not baby oil is it’s not viscous enough and is low on lubricity

stir 

oh don’t overheat the pot, about 100 degrees is enough an electric stove is safer. 

stir for a minute then dip the chain in til submerged and switch the  stove off . Leave the chain in till the mix starts cooling off and lumps of wax reform. Remove the chain and allow it to air dry / cool on some paper towel 

don’t be tempted to remove the chain while everything is still liquid because the wax and oil will just run off and you’re back to square one.

14 minutes ago, V18 said:

Literally remove your chain and dunk in heated molten candle wax. 

Penetrates the rollers etc. 

Apparently works well.  Remember to discard the molten dirty wax in hot liquid form down the kitchen sink. This is important. 

Yes this ensures that you will also have a plumbers bill to clear the blocked drain 🤣

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

let it dry thoroughly 

add an equal amount of your favourite oil. This can be engine oil, fish oil, or whatever you have around the house. Just not baby oil is it’s not viscous enough and is low on lubricity

stir 

oh don’t overheat the pot, about 100 degrees is enough an electric stove is safer. 

stir for a minute then dip the chain in til submerged and switch the  stove off . Leave the chain in till the mix starts cooling off and lumps of wax reform. Remove the chain and allow it to air dry / cool on some paper towel 

don’t be tempted to remove the chain while everything is still liquid because the wax and oil will just run off and you’re back to square one.

All the candle talk can double up as a romantic evening while melting the candles .... bonus.

Scented or unscented candles?

Keep the baby oil for other things.

If you want to keep to 100 deg, a double boiler solution may be the safest with a larger pot with water brought to a boil, and your wax in a smaller pot being heated by the boiling water.

13 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

let it dry thoroughly 

stir 

Thanks

Cleaning process the same thereafter? With the alcohol I presume?

Suggested intervals?

Where is isopropyl typically sold?

5 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Thanks

Suggested intervals?

https://www.takealot.com/fiber-optic-isopropyl-cleaning-alcohol-99-9-500ml/PLID71574726

https://chemlabsupplies.co.za/product/isopropyl-alcohol-999-rubbing-alcohol/

https://essentiallynatural.co.za/products/isopropyl-alcohol-99-7

Three quick links via Google

6 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Thanks

Suggested intervals?

Seeing as you are in CT,  take a look at Chem Labs in P/Island at R75 for a litre

image.png.2882ee327cbebb0bd995ce08d99dd358.png

Isopropyl is readily available at hardware shops. I buy a big can of wurth disc brake cleaner. Also doubles as a flame thrower for those knopiespinnekop corner nests in my garage. (metal door and brick surfaces only.).

Cleaning pots and pans of wax is best done at 100deg celcius with the addition of sunlight liquid. Make wax slabs/discs first to save on candles for round two. 

11 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Thanks

Suggested intervals?

biofires.co.za - use it by the litre in my workshop.

benzine also works well

Every day lube: Epic clean ride

Long distance/event dry lube: Rock n roll gold

Long distance/event muddy ride: Rock n roll blue

This is the way....

I did try squirt a few times but it just seemed to completely vanish off my chain with the mere thought of wet fynbos.

If you need a real potent chain cleaner use squirt and wipe it with wet fynbos.

Edited by Mtbiker404

51 minutes ago, V18 said:

Isopropyl is readily available at hardware shops. I buy a big can of wurth disc brake cleaner. Also doubles as a flame thrower for those knopiespinnekop corner nests in my garage. (metal door and brick surfaces only.).

Cleaning pots and pans of wax is best done at 100deg celcius with the addition of sunlight liquid. Make wax slabs/discs first to save on candles for round two. 

all of the above.👌

Also don't use one of your wife favourite pots if you want to enjoy that freshly lubed chain long term or it might just be a one time at band camp scenario.

heating the pot in another pot with boiling water inbetween is a good safety tip for goas stoves users as hot wax spillage and open flames = not a good idea. The wax will give off vapour which is flammable at the right air fuel ratio so keep temperatures around a 100 degrees and don't use light oils which have lower flash points.